New skater here with questions! | Golden Skate

New skater here with questions!

StarryEyed

Rinkside
Hello everyone!

My thoughts are a little all over the place right now, so please bear with me...

I started skating very very recently (I've had about 12 days on the ice total since mid-late November) with a pair of skates I found in my basement, completely unused. It started with my friend taking me ice skating at Bryant Park, and I got hooked pretty darn quickly. I'm a pretty anxious person, and a chain of family emergencies left me needed a place to blow off some steam. Once I learned that there was a rink 20 minutes from my apartment, my fate was sealed. I bought myself a season pass to the rink and started going every weekday for about an hour and a half each day...

I'm 19 and would love to learn figure skating, but I thought it would be a good idea to get involved in some sort of skating community. Sadly, the hours when I visit the rink make it dead quiet, and New Yorkers aren't exactly fond of people chatting them up in random public places, so I thought that dipping my toes in this forum would be the next best thing.

Anyhow, now that my life's story is out of the way, let's get on to my questions...

1) The skates I have are a pair of Lake Placid spirit 300s, and at first they seemed useable enough, but I've noticed that my inside ankle bone (that inside bump--I have no idea what it's called...) has been throbbing in pain after I skate; the tongue jabs straight into a sore spot, and by the end of a session I can barely make it off the ice. Some days it's not so bad, but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong (or if the skate is just a bad fit for me). I'm tightening my skates enough, although they do tend to loosen as time goes on, and although my toes are a little pinched because my feet are wide, I didn't think that would have anything to do with the sore spot on my ankle. The skin isn't raw either; it's not rubbing, it's more like persistently poking at a bruise.

2) How long will these skates last me? I plan on learning waltz jumps and more eventually, and I was using these skates just to get on the ice. I wanted to incentivize getting a new pair: when I go for my first moves-in-the-field test or when I pass it, I'd like to get myself a nicer pair as a reward. However, the pain I've been getting is making me nervous... Will I have to go in for a better pair sooner than I have planned?

3) What's the best path to my figure skating goals? I'm mostly here for fun, but the more daydreaming side of me would love to compete in adult competitions some day. I can skate forwards and backwards, and can do snowplow stops. What are the next things I can learn on my own? I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford lessons very frequently, so the more I can do between lessons, the better.

I might end up with even more questions as I lurk around the forum, but these are the big four for now. Thank you in advance for any wisdom you can give me!

gkelly

Record Breaker
I don't know much about specific skate models -- others can help you more there -- but it sounds as though the skates you're using now will at the very least not be sufficiently comfortable and perhaps may not have sufficient support to take you through figure skating skills.

Also you should start by taking some lessons. Group lessons are usually more cost effective at the beginning, assuming you can make it to class and to practice every week. If your schedule is more sporadic, then you might be better off finding an instructor who can be flexible enough to work with you when you're available.

A good instructor could give you better advice about whether your skates fit you properly and will help you progress through beginning lessons or whether you'd be better off investing in a more suitable pair as soon as possible.

When you say you can skate forward and backward, do you mean stroke from one foot to another and glide on one foot at a time? If you already have those skills, then you would be ready for a second or third level group class and not the very beginning one. If you're still getting along on two feet at a time, then you might need to start at the beginning.

Figure skating is not cheap, and it's probably more expensive in NYC than most other places. At the beginning stages, costs can be comparable to many other activities that involve lessons and equipment, but you won't make much progress if you don't take regular lessons and practice regularly. So be aware going in that if you're short on funds your progress will likely be slow.

You can find the Learn to Skate curriculum here:
https://learntoskateusa.com/curriculum-detail-basic-skills/

That will give you some idea of what to work on in what order. Try to get some in-person instruction on each skill before you go off to practice on your own. You can also find youtube videos demonstrating and offering instruction on many of the skills.

StarryEyed

Rinkside
When I say forwards and backwards I mean stroking. I can also do one foot glides on my right foot, but my left is a little more iffy.

Also for reference, the pair of skates is one of those recreational pairs you can get at a sporting goods store for 40 bucks, if that makes any difference.

loopy

Final Flight
Getting bumps and hot spots can lead to seeious problems. Those skates were probably be made to get in the ice a couple times a month. You might upgrade to them and get them fitted to your feet. You are skating a lot.

StarryEyed

Rinkside
Getting bumps and hot spots can lead to seeious problems. Those skates were probably be made to get in the ice a couple times a month. You might upgrade to them and get them fitted to your feet. You are skating a lot.

That's what I was afraid of... Money is a little tight right now, but the last thing I want is to cause permanent damage this early in the game. Maybe I'll go to the shop and look and get fitted, but I'll put off buying for a little longer.

At the very least, the problem seems to be exclusive to the ice. The moment nothing is pressing on my inside ankle bone, there's no pain, no stiffness, no nothing. I can walk and dance fine.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
You'll need better skates than what you have, as soon as you can afford to get them. Until then, a gel ankle sleeve might help you. Have a look:

https://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Bun...UTF8&qid=1481658907&sr=1-1&keywords=bunga+pad

A cheaper version:
https://www.amazon.com/Wide-Tubing-...qid=1481658907&sr=1-3&keywords=bunga+pad&th=1

When you get fitted for new skates, ask a coach at the rink - the skating school director is a good person to start with - where you can find a good skate pro, and who, specifically, you should make an appointment with for a fitting.

Do you have a car? IMO, one of the best skate pros is in NJ, at the rink in Hackensack - the Ice House. Jim Skibin. Only by appointment, all appointments made via email. https://www.facebook.com/Ice-House-Pro-Shop-126728784011005/?ref=ts

I also wonder if there's someone at one of the real (not seasonal) rinks in NYC, but again, the skating school director or coaches at your rink should be able to offer some guidance.

Last edited:

StarryEyed

Rinkside
I can't drive, however I've heard great things about West Side Skate in Manhattan, which I can reach by train.

I don't have any skate experts to come with me however, seeing as I can't afford lessons yet. What should I be feeling/looking for when I get fitted?

RoaringMice

On the Ice
A good skate pro will talk to you about your level of skating, take into account your feet, your weight, how often you skate, and determine which model of boot you'd do well in. He can also take things like price into consideration. It's a good idea to go to a good website, like Rainbo Sports, and get an idea for what the prices tend to be like, so you can psychologically prepare. ;)

Generally speaking, good "beginner, but these are actually really good skates" brands include Jackson and Reidell.

Most modern, real skates now are heat molded. That's all kinds of awesome - makes the boot fit a lot better than back in the day. So once you decide which boot to buy, the skate pro actually puts the boots in an oven in the shop, heats them up, then puts them on your feet, so they mold to the shape of your feet. Best. Thing. Ever.

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hello everyone!

My thoughts are a little all over the place right now, so please bear with me...

I started skating very very recently (I've had about 12 days on the ice total since mid-late November) with a pair of skates I found in my basement, completely unused. It started with my friend taking me ice skating at Bryant Park, and I got hooked pretty darn quickly. I'm a pretty anxious person, and a chain of family emergencies left me needed a place to blow off some steam. Once I learned that there was a rink 20 minutes from my apartment, my fate was sealed. I bought myself a season pass to the rink and started going every weekday for about an hour and a half each day...

I'm 19 and would love to learn figure skating, but I thought it would be a good idea to get involved in some sort of skating community. Sadly, the hours when I visit the rink make it dead quiet, and New Yorkers aren't exactly fond of people chatting them up in random public places, so I thought that dipping my toes in this forum would be the next best thing.

Anyhow, now that my life's story is out of the way, let's get on to my questions...

1) The skates I have are a pair of Lake Placid spirit 300s, and at first they seemed useable enough, but I've noticed that my inside ankle bone (that inside bump--I have no idea what it's called...) has been throbbing in pain after I skate; the tongue jabs straight into a sore spot, and by the end of a session I can barely make it off the ice. Some days it's not so bad, but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong (or if the skate is just a bad fit for me). I'm tightening my skates enough, although they do tend to loosen as time goes on, and although my toes are a little pinched because my feet are wide, I didn't think that would have anything to do with the sore spot on my ankle. The skin isn't raw either; it's not rubbing, it's more like persistently poking at a bruise.

2) How long will these skates last me? I plan on learning waltz jumps and more eventually, and I was using these skates just to get on the ice. I wanted to incentivize getting a new pair: when I go for my first moves-in-the-field test or when I pass it, I'd like to get myself a nicer pair as a reward. However, the pain I've been getting is making me nervous... Will I have to go in for a better pair sooner than I have planned?

3) What's the best path to my figure skating goals? I'm mostly here for fun, but the more daydreaming side of me would love to compete in adult competitions some day. I can skate forwards and backwards, and can do snowplow stops. What are the next things I can learn on my own? I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford lessons very frequently, so the more I can do between lessons, the better.

I might end up with even more questions as I lurk around the forum, but these are the big four for now. Thank you in advance for any wisdom you can give me!

Hi Starry Eyed,

I see you are in NY and not sure if you know about this event, but you'd might want to attend this coming Sunday evening at 7PM. You can sign up to skate with Max Aaron and Alexa & Chris Knierim at Brookfield Place rink for $35. Might as well get your questions answered by the best!

This is following a free holiday skating show at 6PM.

http://www.therinkatbrookfieldplace.net/

https://www.cognitoforms.com/ProudNationInc/SkateWithTheStarsDecember18th20167pm830pm

Last edited:

StarryEyed

Rinkside
Hi Starry Eyed,

I see you are in NY and not sure if you know about this event, but you'd might want to attend this coming Sunday evening at 7PM. You can sign up to skate with Max Aaron and Alexa & Chris Knierim at Brookfield Place rink for $35. Might as well get your questions answered by the best!

This is following a free holiday skating show at 6PM.

http://www.therinkatbrookfieldplace.net/

https://www.cognitoforms.com/ProudNationInc/SkateWithTheStarsDecember18th20167pm830pm

Thank you! I just signed up for it.

dreamsk8

On the Ice
This is another Basic Skills Program Adult Curriculum might help.
http://www.usfsa.org/content/BS-overview.pdf
Also getting private lessons even if it is once a month or so would be worth it. There is only so much you can learn from study descriptions of moves or watching youtube videos. And in skating when the slight difference of an edge is huge in some elements it's better to learn it right the first time than to have to re-learn.
Good Luck!!

jf12

Final Flight
You'll definitely need new skates once you start to jump and spin, as well as doing footwork that requires good edges. I would say that it's rare for skates to be totally pain-free, and you just have to know your body to know if it's just cramping or something more serious. Make sure that the fit is right - you should be wearing super thin socks and the skate should be as small as possible to be comfortable in able to give your foot support. A lot of beginners start with skates that are too big (same size as street shoes). This often causes pain as the foot compensates to stay stable in the boot.

I would say that at your level I found group classes really useful, especially if money is an issue. As a total beginner, in addition to the advice of the coach, I personally found it useful to watch other slightly more advanced beginners. This was probably as useful to me as private lessons were, and not nearly as expensive.

StarryEyed

Rinkside
My skates are actually a half size below my street shoes, so I doubt it's that... They're quite snug. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but the pain has been getting worse the more I skate, and now the inside of my right ankle is very sensitive to pressure, however there's still no visible bruise or swelling. The pain seems to be the worst when I stroke with my right foot, and I point my foot a bit to push with the blade right below my toe pick. Maybe it's bad form too? I've been going a little less to give my ankle a break.

I'll definitely keep the sock thing in mind though.

Hopefully I'll be able to take a group class over my winter break, provided that a little extra money comes in.

jf12

Final Flight
If you get new boots, you should mention it to the fitter -they can 'knock out' that part a little to make more room around the ankle bone. Until then, a previous posters idea of using a gel sleeve is a good one.

cl2

Final Flight
My skates are actually a half size below my street shoes, so I doubt it's that... They're quite snug. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but the pain has been getting worse the more I skate, and now the inside of my right ankle is very sensitive to pressure, however there's still no visible bruise or swelling. The pain seems to be the worst when I stroke with my right foot, and I point my foot a bit to push with the blade right below my toe pick. Maybe it's bad form too? I've been going a little less to give my ankle a break.

I'll definitely keep the sock thing in mind though.

Hopefully I'll be able to take a group class over my winter break, provided that a little extra money comes in.

Correct fitting of skates not only accounts for "size" (i.e. toe-to-heal length) but also takes into consideration the width and instep of your foot. A possibility is that your skates could be too narrow for your foot.

It might be surprising to first learn that most boot makers favor one kind of width. Generally speaking, Riedell tends to run narrow and Jackson tends to run wide. So the right brand of boot should be chosen by your foot. A good skate technician will be able to give you more details and help you choose the correct fit.

StarryEyed

Rinkside
So an update for everybody:

I managed to scrounge up enough money to buy a pair of skates, and I went to Westside Skate and Stick. I'm not sure if I regret it yet. The fitter rushed me into a pair of Jacksons, sadly in white (he insisted that there was no way a pair of men's skates would fit me, and I don't have enough experience to argue with him) and they were heat molded, etc. It feels like they're a good fit, supportive around the ankle. I had to have the front near the toe punched out on the right one, but other than that they're pretty good. My arches hurt from breaking them in, but I asked around on the rink and the skate guard told me that was normal.

I also went to the event at Brookfield place. I had a good time, but it was extremely overpriced and over hyped. The figure skaters left about 30 minutes after people got on the ice, and the rink was hilariously small. I don't blame the figure skaters though, seeing as they had to perform right before going on the ice with a bunch of inexperienced skaters...

So, new question: does anyone know a good way to make white skates black? I know I should probably just stick to white skates, but I'm irrationally fond of black figure skates.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I also went to the event at Brookfield place. I had a good time, but it was extremely overpriced and over hyped. The figure skaters left about 30 minutes after people got on the ice, and the rink was hilariously small. I don't blame the figure skaters though, seeing as they had to perform right before going on the ice with a bunch of inexperienced skaters...

*jealous gasp* You saw Max! And you got to skate with him!

So, new question: does anyone know a good way to make white skates black? I know I should probably just stick to white skates, but I'm irrationally fond of black figure skates.

You could use a product called sk8tape (it's designed specially for skates) and get it in black, or you could buy black boot covers.

StarryEyed

Rinkside
*jealous gasp* You saw Max! And you got to skate with him!

Pssst.... My mom took video of part of his performance. :) (Please ignore my chattering after his jump--my mom thinks every jump is an axel)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1riKayB5GaZ_gZcPon5DEYLamhhReAEeoWg/view?usp=sharing

I actually talked to him after the event, and he was surprised that I couldn't get black boots, which is why I'm a little upset with Westside Skate. Maybe the analogy isn't exact, but if a dance shop can have me try on a whole bunch of different ballet slippers after measuring me (and the fit doesn't matter nearly as much for plain old slippers), then why can't a skate shop have me try on more than one boot? Maybe I'm wrong though; I'm new to figure skating, not ballet.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Pssst.... My mom took video of part of his performance. :) (Please ignore my chattering after his jump--my mom thinks every jump is an axel)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1riKayB5GaZ_gZcPon5DEYLamhhReAEeoWg/view?usp=sharing

Ahhhhhhh, thanks for the video! That rink is so tiny, no wonder he didn't do the new SP like he said he might. It is interesting to watch him visibly restraining his speed and power because of the limited space.

(I couldn't quite make out all the chatter, but if you didn't manage to successfully identify it, the jump was a triple toe.)

I actually talked to him after the event, and he was surprised that I couldn't get black boots, which is why I'm a little upset with Westside Skate.

Isn't he just the sweetest? I'm glad you got to meet him.

Maybe the analogy isn't exact, but if a dance shop can have me try on a whole bunch of different ballet slippers after measuring me (and the fit doesn't matter nearly as much for plain old slippers), then why can't a skate shop have me try on more than one boot? Maybe I'm wrong though; I'm new to figure skating, not ballet.

No, you are right, the skate shop should have taken you through several types to find the most suitable one for your foot.

StarryEyed

Rinkside
Ahhhhhhh, thanks for the video! That rink is so tiny, no wonder he didn't do the new SP like he said he might. It is interesting to watch him visibly restraining his speed and power because of the limited space.

(I couldn't quite make out all the chatter, but if you didn't manage to successfully identify it, the jump was a triple toe.)

I had a feeling, but I was having a hard time watching it on my phone. I skated on the rink and realized how spoiled I am--the rink here had pretty hard ice, but Lakeside in Prospect Park is much much bigger; a hockey rink and a connected smaller rink. Although the ice tends to be a little fuzzy due to humidity, the space is really really nice.

Here's my other video of the event; this one is Chris and Alexa Kinierm:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tUHulovpMRy1gCAVcu5f5DZJqcoe7XjJwg/view?usp=sharing

I guess when it comes to my skates, I've learned my lesson: be more assertive during fittings. At least these skates support my ankles, unlike my old ones. I guess I'll just have to work hard to earn the black pair of my dreams after all! :laugh: