Spanish Nationals, 16-18.12.16 | Golden Skate

Spanish Nationals, 16-18.12.16

NicolettaL

Final Flight
Sooo the National team
Men: Fernandez, Raya
Ladies: Matos (still have to do minimum TES for Worlds)
Ice Dance: Hurtado/Khaliavin
Paris: None, as Lech/Maestu broke their partnership. Both having new partners will be skating for their home Nations respectively

Andrea82

Medalist
Sooo the National team
Men: Fernandez, Raya
Ladies: Matos (still have to do minimum TES for Worlds)
Ice Dance: Hurtado/Khaliavin
Paris: None, as Lech/Maestu broke their partnership. Both having new partners will be skating for their home Nations respectively

Could they try and play a tactical game for the Worlds sending only Fernandez in order to increase the chances of getting 3 spots for the Olympics? Fernandez in the top 2 is more likely than Fernandez+Raya placements being less than 14.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Could they try and play a tactical game for the Worlds sending only Fernandez in order to increase the chances of getting 3 spots for the Olympics? Fernandez in the top 2 is more likely than Fernandez+Raya placements being less than 14.

Is there a point though? There are no 3 skaters with TES minimum anyway every year.... Spain doesn't really need 3 spots.

Andrea82

Medalist
Fernandez FP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPek52e-xY8

Hurtado/Khaliavin FD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRY259QH46c

At 5:55 there is also a big hug between Sara and Adria.

Is there a point though? There are no 3 skaters with TES minimum anyway every year.... Spain doesn't really need 3 spots.

IIRC from Sochi 2014, the Olympic TES minimums are closer to the Euro/4 Continents minimums rather than Worlds'. So Montoaya could theoretically achieve it.

You've a point that a third Spanish man won't add much to the overall competition though.

Last edited:

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Wow, I thought Smart/Diaz were getting the Euro spot for sure. I just hope Hurtado/Khaliavin can sneak into the top 10. Both teams are very promising.

noidont

Final Flight
Is there any chance for the two new dance teams to get citizenship? Are they just setting Roblelo/Fenero up for Olympics?

turquoiseblue

Final Flight
Is there any chance for the two new dance teams to get citizenship? Are they just setting Roblelo/Fenero up for Olympics?

Sara and Kirill have already started working it.

Sara Hurtado: "Beginning is always the hardest"
Are you already working on citizenship for Kirill? What are the chances for it to be in time for the Olympics? And what is in general the procedure in Spain?

In Spain we have something which is called "a letter of naturalization". It's basically a request from our federation and National Olympic Committee to the government which shows how the country can benefit from this athlete. Honestly I don't know how long it takes. All the process has already started, because, of course, the earlier the better. But we will see during this season and next year. Also the situation right now in Spain with the government was really unstable (Spain suffered a 10-month political deadlock which was resumed only at the end of October - ed.), only last month we got a Prime Minister and now he has to close the official budget, the new laws, a lot of things...
I'm keeping my fingers crossed :cheer:

SamuraiKike

Medalist
I doubt any of the new pairing will get it on time so Robledo and Fenero can be the lucky beneficients IF a spot is secured for Spain. Im sure that when Adria and Sara decided to keep going their separate ways they knew it was going to be a long term thing and 2022 should be their goal.

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
I doubt any of the new pairing will get it on time so Robledo and Fenero can be the lucky beneficients IF a spot is secured for Spain. Im sure that when Adria and Sara decided to keep going their separate ways they knew it was going to be a long term thing a 2022 should be their goal.

Whaaaaattt!!!! nooooo!!! :sad21:, I thought some of the two new teams would to get go to Korea.

Mattieu

Medalist
Whaaaaattt!!!! nooooo!!! :sad21:, I thought some of the two new teams would to get go to Korea.

I believe that Spain has fast track procedures to make athletes with real potential into Spanish citizens. So don't despair just yet!

Spain managed to get Khavalian released from Russia, and they wouldn't have gone to all that trouble for him to sit out the Olympics.

legjumper

Rinkside
Wow, I thought Smart/Diaz were getting the Euro spot for sure. I just hope Hurtado/Khaliavin can sneak into the top 10. Both teams are very promising.

The Spanish Fed announced earlier this fall that the winner of Spanish Nationals would automatically go to Europeans. It's the Worlds spot that is still up for grabs - the team with the season's highest SD TES from an international competition will go. Currently, that team is Smart/Diaz.

gabriele

On the Ice
The Spanish Fed announced earlier this fall that the winner of Spanish Nationals would automatically go to Europeans. It's the Worlds spot that is still up for grabs - the team with the season's highest SD TES from an international competition will go. Currently, that team is Smart/Diaz.

Smart/Diaz's best SD Technical would be 28.80. So Sara/Kirill need to better it at Mentor Torun or the Europeans to get to the Worlds. Is that right?

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well the minimum TES is 29, so even if Smart Diaz got the spot, They still have to go and get the minimum.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Smart/Diaz's best SD Technical would be 28.80. So Sara/Kirill need to better it at Mentor Torun or the Europeans to get to the Worlds. Is that right?

Well the minimum TES is 29, so even if Smart Diaz got the spot, They still have to go and get the minimum.

Smart/Diaz already have the TES minimums for Worlds.

34.13 and 52.73 at Open D'Andorra. In both cases, above Hurtado/Khaliavin at this point.

gabriele

On the Ice
Smart/Diaz already have the TES minimums for Worlds.

34.13 and 52.73 at Open D'Andorra. In both cases, above Hurtado/Khaliavin at this point.

Thankyou for clarifying, ice coverage. I had looked it up here, http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs_pb_00101308.htm but it didn't show the Andorra result, despite having been updated yesterday. :scratch2: Thanks for pointing it out. :thumbsup:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thankyou for clarifying, ice coverage. I had looked it up here, http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs_pb_00101308.htm but it didn't show the Andorra result, despite having been updated yesterday. :scratch2: Thanks for pointing it out. :thumbsup:

Your link is for the ISU Personal Bests page for Smart/Diaz.
Open D'Andorra results do not count for ISU PBs.

But Open D'Andorra results do count for TES minimums.