Cup of Tyrol 2017, 28 Feb - 5 Mar | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Cup of Tyrol 2017, 28 Feb - 5 Mar

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Yaaay, Deniss was clean! I knew it! :hap10: So proud of him!!!

Congratulations to Deniss for winning his first international senior competition! :clap:

Alexei did pretty well today too. As for Daniel...well, it's just not his season, but he put up a decent fight. Maybe he will surprise us at JW again...

edit - what a nice podium, 3 of my favorite guys! :love:

Last edited:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Congratulations to the medalists! :clap: (esp. Deniss! ;))

What a great medal ceremony! Acknowledging everyone down to the last place. Never seen it done this way before. :)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Wow, Deniss got positive GOE on everything, great! I also think Stephane Walker has been improving a lot lately, and Egor Murashov has some potential to become quite good. Did he not qualify to Russian Nats or Jr Nats? He's better than several of those who did...:slink:

Kutien

Final Flight
SPFS
1Deniss VASILJEVS LAT240.4411video
2Oleksii BYCHENKOISR231.7442video
3Daniel SAMOHIN ISR220.1863video
4Stephane WALKERSUI215.2754
5Paul FENTZ GER212.0426
6Egor MURASHOV RUS210.7535video
7Maurizio ZANDRON ITA203.1587
8Adrien TESSONFRA202.0678
9Murad KURBANOV RUS185.1699
10Valtter VIRTANEN FIN176.871211

Last edited:

artsciboy

On the Ice
Decent job for Bychenko - can the Israeli Federation officially name him to the World team now?

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
BTW, does anyone have any info about Fabian Piontek (GER)??? I can't find any info on internet. Sure, he doesn't even have 3lz, let alone 3A, so he has some ways to go to break into the mainstream scene still, but I really, really enjoyed his skating. He is one of the very few skaters who were born with that IT factor, or so it seemed to me. He also seems to be very young, 14? 15? I wonder why he isn't competing in the Jr. rank... I do hope to see more of him in the future, I will make sure to remember his name!

MGstyle

Medalist
Well, Deniss hangs on to 1st place after 4 groups. Moris is the only one left with the potential to score higher, but if he makes any mistake then I doubt the judges here will be kinder to him than they were at the Challenge Cup.

edit - Moris withdrew :( Egor Murashov had a good skate though! I can't remember seeing him before...I think I'd remember all that miming ;)
Egor Murashov left a big impression on me too. I wonder if he has the same choreographer as Zhenya Medvedeva. Lots of mimes involved, and he likes to do the Rippon jumps. hmmm... Deniss was not successful at all with 3A during the practice. But he rose to the occasion during the competition, just like he has done several times. He is definitely a gamer!

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
1 Laurine LECAVELIER FRA 161.41
2 Micol CRISTINI ITA 152.01
3 Dasa GRM SLO 147.69
4 Natalie KLOTZ AUT 139.21
5 Natasha MCKAY GBR 137.51

Laurine Lecavelier was the winner among senior women with 161.41 points, recovering from the third place thanks to the best free skate. I'm fascinated by this French skater's showmanship, especially the costume change in her free program. Lecavelier finished 5th overall at the European Championships but Lecavelier is still a little known skater. She could be invited to represent France at the World Team Trophy in April, given the recent good results.

Last edited:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
BTW, does anyone have any info about Fabian Piontek (GER)??? I can't find any info on internet. Sure, he doesn't even have 3lz, let alone 3A, so he has some ways to go to break into the mainstream scene still, but I really, really enjoyed his skating. He is one of the very few skaters who were born with that IT factor, or so it seemed to me. He also seems to be very young, 14? 15? I wonder why he isn't competing in the Jr. rank... I do hope to see more of him in the future, I will make sure to remember his name!

I liked him too! Hadn't heard of him either, but he has several pleasing qualities to his skating. :) For one I don't think I've come across such a supple male German singles skater before. He has a great Biellmann spin, that almost rivals Martinez' in my eyes! I also really liked his FS choreography, but found - even though he seems to be quite musical - that he started to slightly skate behind the music fairly early on and he should have held several positions a little longer, esp. his spirals. (His first jumping pass was right on the music though!) Nevertheless, he has good spins and transitions, decent SS and I'm seeing a lot of potential there on the presentation side of things. Not so sure about the jumps. At the age of 19 he's trailing far behind the elite. :(

Here's an (incomplete) overview of his competitive results:
https://www.statsonice.com/skater/Fabian/Piontek/

This one's more detailed:
http://www.rinkresults.com/skater?skater_name=Fabian_PIONTEK

I also found a fairly recent German article about Fabian. I tried my hand at a translation attempting to stay as close as possible to the original text, but had to deviate a little bit here and there to avoid extremely weird sounding bits. :)

The only thing missing is a Quad

Fabian Piontek finishes 5th at German Nationals. His biggest success so far. But he's already set his sight on new goals.

Fabian Piontek owes the biggest success of his competitive career to "The Barber of Seville" and Dvorak's "New World Symphony". With these pieces for his SP and FS the 19 year old figure skater from the EV Augsburg made it into 5th place at the German senior national championships in Berlin. "It was simply breathtaking. From the organisation to the atmosphere of the event", Piontek raves, recalling the three competition days in Germany's capital.

Due to his achievements in 2016 (he won the "Eismann-Pokal" title and finished 6th at the "Deutschlandpokal") the Bavarian skating federation was able to send him to the national championships. And Piontek is very satisfied with the outcome in Berlin. After all he succeeded with his most difficult elements, the 3T and the 3S. To catch up with the German elite skaters, like freshly crowned German champion Peter Liebers, Piontek still needs a quad. He's already eyeing that one. "I'm going to do my best to catch up. The championship motivated me greatly. It's my goal to be able to beat the best (skaters)", the ambitious 2014 German junior champion (U18) said.

He received enough illustrative material in Berlin, where Piontek had the opportunity to observe the internationally successful German pair skaters Aljona Savchenko and Bruno Massot. Due to Savchenko's injury the famed pair participated out of competition, omitting their jumps. Piontek was enthusiastic nevertheless. "Their movements and lifts are simply fascinating."

The sport is going to stay Piontek's main focus. He has a clear vision of his athletic and professional goals. In 2016 he took his A levels (Abitur). But because he just failed the required grade point average for a place at university in medical training, he'd like to dedicate his full attention to his athletic career for the time being.

Additionally to fitness and ballet training, he already excercises up to six days a week on the ice. Only during A levels he took a week off. Since he finished school he has been focusing on the sport again. He has been mentored by EVA-center's instructors Christa Winkelmaier and Axel Teschemacher for years. With their help Fabian Piontek chooses his music and works on his choreographies. "These two supported and helped me a lot leading up to German Nationals", Piontek assesses the reliable collaboration.

Following the competition he was able to catch a breath. "Although I'm already back to training mode, I'm not feeling the pressure anymore. Everything's a bit more relaxed and I can prepare for the next competition calmly." This is going to be the Bavarian Open in early February in Oberstdorf. But even before that Fabian Pionek will be performing in the region. He's going to present his SP "The Barber of Seville" at the figure skating exhibition at the "Eissporthalle Landsberg" on January 8th (from 14:30).

Last edited:

MGstyle

Medalist
I liked him too! Hadn't heard of him either, but he has several pleasing qualities to his skating. :) For one I don't think I've come across such a supple male German singles skater before. He has a great Biellmann spin, that almost rivals Martinez' in my eyes! I also really liked his FS choreography, but found - even though he seems to be quite musical - that he started to slightly skate behind the music fairly early on and he should have held several positions a little longer, esp. his spirals. (His first jumping pass was right on the music though!) Nevertheless, he has good spins and transitions, decent SS and I'm seeing a lot of potential there on the presentation side of things. Not so sure about the jumps. At the age of 19 he's trailing far behind the elite. :(

Here's an (incomplete) overview of his competitive results:
https://www.statsonice.com/skater/Fabian/Piontek/

This one's more detailed:
http://www.rinkresults.com/skater?skater_name=Fabian_PIONTEK

I also found a fairly recent German article about Fabian. I tried my hand at a translation attempting to stay as close as possible to the original text, but had to deviate a little bit here and there to avoid extremely weird sounding bits. :)

The only thing missing is a Quad

Fabian Piontek finishes 5th at German Nationals. His biggest success so far. But he's already set his sight on new goals.

Fabian Piontek owes the biggest success of his competitive career to "The Barber of Seville" and Dvorak's "New World Symphony". With these pieces for his SP and FS the 19 year old figure skater from the EV Augsburg made it into 5th place at the German senior national championships in Berlin. "It was simply breathtaking. From the organisation to the atmosphere of the event", Piontek raves, recalling the three competition days in Germany's capital.

Due to his achievements in 2016 (he won the "Eismann-Pokal" title and finished 6th at the "Deutschlandpokal") the Bavarian skating federation was able to send him to the national championships. And Piontek is very satisfied with the outcome in Berlin. After all he succeeded with his most difficult elements, the 3T and the 3S. To catch up with the German elite skaters, like freshly crowned German champion Peter Liebers, Piontek still needs a quad. He's already eyeing that one. "I'm going to do my best to catch up. The championship motivated me greatly. It's my goal to be able to beat the best (skaters)", the ambitious 2014 German junior champion (U18) said.

He received enough illustrative material in Berlin, where Piontek had the opportunity to observe the internationally successful German pair skaters Aljona Savchenko and Bruno Massot. Due to Savchenko's injury the famed pair participated out of competition, omitting their jumps. Piontek was enthusiastic nevertheless. "Their movements and lifts are simply fascinating."

The sport is going to stay Piontek's main focus. He has a clear vision of his athletic and professional goals. In 2016 he took his A levels (Abitur). But because he just failed the required grade point average for a place at university in medical training, he'd like to dedicate his full attention to his athletic career for the time being.

Additionally to fitness and ballet training, he already excercises up to six days a week on the ice. Only during A levels he took a week off. Since he finished school he has been focusing on the sport again. He has been mentored by EVA-center's instructors Christa Winkelmaier and Axel Teschemacher for years. With their help Fabian Piontek chooses his music and works on his choreographies. "These two supported and helped me a lot leading up to German Nationals", Piontek assesses the reliable collaboration.

Following the competition he was able to catch a breath. "Although I'm already back to training mode, I'm not feeling the pressure anymore. Everything's a bit more relaxed and I can prepare for the next competition calmly." This is going to be the Bavarian Open in early February in Oberstdorf. But even before that Fabian Pionek will be performing in the region. He's going to present his SP "The Barber of Seville" at the figure skating exhibition at the "Eissporthalle Landsberg" on January 8th (from 14:30).

OMG thank you so much for the much needed info, and especially for taking the time to translate the article!!! :luv17: 19???? OMG he looked like 16 at the most, more like 14... :eek: At this point then his progress (or lack of?) in the jumping department does not look very good, but I do have seen some case of late bloomers (Oleksej Bychenko, who was also present at CoT for example...), so I would like to remain positive about it. Yes I did notice he slowed down a little too much in some patches, but I love his innate musicality, flexibility and performance skills, which even some of the top skaters lack, and he is just the type of skater I enjoy watching the most, jumps or not. I really hope to see more of him in the future, and I am glad I was not the only one who noticed him! :agree:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Could anyone post here the total + sp + fs scores of Valter Virtanen?

The link on Cup of Tyrol's official site doesn't work for me, and I couldn't find his scores elsewhere.