2017 Russian Nationals Pairs SP | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2017 Russian Nationals Pairs SP

whatif

Medalist
What a comeback from S/K. I was doubtful about Claire De Lune but that was great. Given that this is their first competition, it has potential to mature to something great by the Worlds. So light, so crisp, such unison and quality. They only lost to T/M with one element Twist. Ksenia, of course as the reigning true diva of figure skating, did not show up to press conference. http://scontent-arn2-1.cdninstagram...39_1788686598040364_7742551296984481792_n.mp4

whatif

Medalist
Z/E made amazing progress in a very short period together. Boring or not, this is currently one of the very few teams in the world who actually PAIR skate. Some new packaging, and fix that death spiral and they could be fighting for the top spot soon.

Tastetherainbow

Medalist
BIG yes for S/K! Finally, a program that emphasizes a little more connection than the last two seasons. Their twist is still an issue that will most definitely hinder them, considering T/M are performing quite consistently now.

T/M has come a long way. Granted, I would still prefer if they can get S/K-esk programs, but they are definitely moving forwards in the presentation department.

Sigh for K/S. To be honest, ever since 2010 I didn't think K/S were that special, but they certainly were great in presentation. Now, I feel like they are regressing too much. I don't want to write them off, but as of right now they certainly aren't competitive, at least not in the twist and SBS department.

Z/E has progressed quite a lot, but to be honest they aren't really memorable to me (yet). They are probably Russian #3 for now, but are certainly beatable, especially on the Worlds stage. Same with A/R.

What was up with Mirzoev? I don't know the circumstances, but his body language clearly portrayed him in an annoyed and rude persona. That is NOT want you want to convey to the audience, especially in a sport like FS where everything from presentation to character are closely scrutinized. This is reminiscent of Peng/Zhang at Worlds; while many criticized Zhang for "abandoning" Peng, I gave him some leeway because the structure of their program dictates that they go into SBS within 5 seconds of the throw, and since Chinese throws are huge that cover a large distance perhaps there's nothing they could do if Peng fell, but in this case Mishina was so close to Mirzoev that he could have easily skated closer to her and waited for her, not to mention that the time between the throw and the SBS was longer than P/Z's. I can understand the frustration, but this behavior is certainly off-putting and will alienate fans, sadly me included.

lavoix

Match Penalty
Z/E made amazing progress in a very short period together. Boring or not, this is currently one of the very few teams in the world who actually PAIR skate. Some new packaging, and fix that death spiral and they could be fighting for the top spot soon.

They desperately need better music because it's so boring.

lavoix

Match Penalty
Stolbova/Klimov were brilliant, though it will take me some time to get used to the SP, it's very different to what they've done before. I just find their chemistry on the ice not translating to the current music. They're all about being cold, determined and slaying the ice, however this music is too passionate and emotional for them. Love the outfits though.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
That was a very high quality event, plenty of great performances.

This short really works for T/M and they sell it well. The twist is superb, SBS in perfect sync and a throw a mile long. The jumps have been an issue in the long so hopefully they can sort that tomorrow.

It was great to see S/K back on the ice. I love their skating, straight away you can see the power, speed, elegance. Apart from the twist that was a great performance. They looked happy to be back competing. Can they win the title? I would write them off.

Z/E have really stepped it up a level this year. They have grown on me. They emphasis qualities you don't see much nowadays, the line, classic pairs skating. I think this programme works for them. They are in a good position to medal. Team Mozer is definitely in charge so far.

A very good skate from A/R for 4th place. She has become a little inconsistent on the jumps but she did good yesterday while he had an issue. They are within striking distance of the podium but it won't be easy.

My personal favourites K/S are a little back in 5th. A very scrappy twist, I didn't even think it was fully round. I expected an issue with SBS but they landed them. They are having real problems with the DS, they only got a lv1. I remain optimistic that they will storm the podium tomorrow 🍀👍. On a good news front they were ranked 3rd on pcs.

Great to see E/K land the SBS, sadly she always seems to mess them up. They should be really happy with the skate. The music is a bit of a challenge. I was a bit worried about M/M's performance after reading previous comments but things weren't as bad as I expected. I'm not sure what he could do about the jumps after the fall. I was surprised she fell, she has a real knack for landing the throws even if sometimes his throw can be a bit wonky.

Another good skate from B/K. They seem to get better with each skate, they are making a claim for a worldsnjunior spot. I see Moskvina sat with them in the K&C,good they be her next team. Z/B were lovely, a very elegant style, the music choice suits them. He is a bit short, I think she may out grow him.

I like U/V but the jumps have become an issue for her this season. I hope it is just growing pains, I like her as a performer. L/S had a decent skate with a UR 3T and low levels. P/S are at bottom of the table, they are two god performers, they certainly gave it their all. Their SBS was the 2a, they are from Perm, sadly all their skaters are a little weak on the jumps.

Hopefully the standard continues in the free.