Who is attending? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who is attending?

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Asking for advice on the "must pack" items to survive a week at Nationals. I went to a few events in Omaha but this will be my one and only week long event.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Asking for advice on the "must pack" items to survive a week at Nationals. I went to a few events in Omaha but this will be my one and only week long event.

Some sort of lanyard with a see-through sleeve - put your tickets in it so you don't have to try to find them. You can also put your glasses, a pen, and your room key in it so they are close at hand when you need them.

We like to bring some tape - to tape the starting orders to the seat back in front of us.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

In general, if an arena has hard seats, bring some sort of cushion...I use an inflatable one. My hands are old and dry. I bring triple antibiotic ointment (carbulated vasoline) to keep my hands from cracking
because I usually clap hard for my favorites. Hand lotion doesnt seem to cut it in the arena. I usually smuggle (such an ugly word) in an empty water bottle of small size to be filled at some sort of clean orfice,
if you can find one. Chapstick. A highlighter. Pen and small notebook for making....well....notes....a small cheep pair of binoculars to see if that if really Brian B. sitting across from you. I have a man pouch that
buckles quickly across the waist and can be moved anywhere around the waist, 360 degrees, in a hurry. A small point and shoot camera to take embarassing pics of my friends. If you fly with a checked bag, like I do,
I fill it with booze and snacks and green tea and juice. Saves me from finding a drug store.....Frank C. and I have a problem with the arena's bright lights, so I wear a ball cap...he wears a fendora. Google maps of the area if you are a paper person like me with the info you need imbedded...like all the eateries you want to try next to the arena. Cash. Dont fool with card for small purchases....you dont want to deal with fraud while you are away from home.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Some sort of lanyard with a see-through sleeve - put your tickets in it so you don't have to try to find them. You can also put your glasses, a pen, and your room key in it so they are close at hand when you need them.

We like to bring some tape - to tape the starting orders to the seat back in front of us.

I have my own custom lanyard pouch with my own custom credetials....I stopped using the credentials cause occasionally they would work! So now I dont count on being able to buy the "Official" pouch and lanyard and bring one.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks for the advice! It is much appreciated. I am making my lists and checking the weather reports (heads up, if you plan to arrive in KC next weekend there is snow in the forecast). I have about a 6 1/2 hour drive from my southeast Missouri home to get across the state to Kansas City. Looking forward to meeting some of my fellow skating fans.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks for the advice! It is much appreciated. I am making my lists and checking the weather reports (heads up, if you plan to arrive in KC next weekend there is snow in the forecast). I have about a 6 1/2 hour drive from my southeast Missouri home to get across the state to Kansas City. Looking forward to meeting some of my fellow skating fans.

Yeah, I know about the snow....its everywhere...waiting to cancel my flights! 15 inches on the ground now in Spokane and light freezing drizzel. Weather models disagree about next Sunday so we shall see....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK,
I will copy and paste the list for my notebook. Anyone want to join us on "slack", where you can post comments to the GSers that have loaded it all around the world, contact Mrs. P or Sabinfire to find out how to join "GS at Worlds".

edenlover

On the Ice
Long time GSer, first time poster. I'm attending! It will be my first time at a big competition and I am so excited!

You will never forget it! I attended my first event at the World Championships in Cincinnati in 1987. My women's men's short program tickets were 5 bucks each, I think, and a practice session $3. CBS was doing commentary that year, and I sat behind Jill Watson's dad. SHe won the pairs with Peter Opegard that year. Witt won the ladies, and orser the men's. SO exciting! Still have the program.

Liz1201

Rinkside
Chris I started a new thread for nationals in the slack app. Might make it easier for folks to find posts and add posts.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

A little late to the party, but if you haven't left yet -- hand sanitizer and those little Wash n Dri wet wipe thingies are good for your hands. Last year at Nats, I was kinda careless and ended up getting a horrible cold when I returned from St. Paul. I just think with touching railings, seat backs, being in crowds, etc., the extra precaution helps. Went to a couple other events and didn't get sick, but the careless time I did! Just a thought. I know I sound like Howard Hughes! :laugh2:

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
A little late to the party, but if you haven't left yet -- hand sanitizer and those little Wash n Dri wet wipe thingies are good for your hands. Last year at Nats, I was kinda careless and ended up getting a horrible cold when I returned from St. Paul. I just think with touching railings, seat backs, being in crowds, etc., the extra precaution helps. Went to a couple other events and didn't get sick, but the careless time I did! Just a thought. I know I sound like Howard Hughes! :laugh2:

Great minds think alike. Packed a box of handwipes at last minute this morning