Medvedeva defends title with record score | Golden Skate

Medvedeva defends title with record score

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2016 World champion Evgenia Medvedeva defended her Russian national title with a record-breaking score of 233.57 points despite performing an illegal combination jump in the free program. Debutant Alina Zagitova won silver (221.21) and Maria Sotskova captured the bronze (219.90).
Medvedeva was in class of her own on both days of the competition. The 17-year-old approached all her jumps without the slightest hesitation, and towards the end of her long program performance, executed a triple Salchow - triple toe loop - triple toe loop combination, in which the third jump received zero points as it was already the third triple toe loop in her program and she had already done one three-jump combination.
“I know, I know,” she said on the press conference. “I think I managed to surprise even my coach; nobody expected me to go for it. But I know that the rules have been changed this year and they allow you to do more triple toe loops. Previously, the entire element would have received zero points, but now only the third triple toe would be discarded and I thought since I can do it, why not try?”
More

What are your thoughts on how the ladies performed?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
What are your thoughts on how the ladies performed?

Incredible event. For the first time ever at Russian Nationals, 6 ladies broke 200 in overall score! At 2013 Nats, not a single lady managed that.

Last edited:

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Well, I'm starting to think that a Russian sweep of the podium in Pyeongchang (Medvedeva, Zagitova, Tsurskaya) is very possible.

The depth of the Russian ladies field is undeniable- the fact that Pogorilaya had no major errors and still finished fourth is difficult to imagine.

The surprise of the competition for me was Sotskova, whose landings looked a lot better than they have this season- I didn't see any underrotations. Her programs are really growing on me, and she has a very elegant and sophisticated quality to her skating that I think will continue to develop overtime. I'm happy she made the world team.

Slightly disappointed with Tuktamysheva- you wouldn't believe she was the world champion two years ago. Hopefully she gets her jumps back soon- they were unmatched during her prime. I thought she'd go for the 3A here but evidently not.

What a great competition!

Evgenia Medvedeva was never better. This program has totally come together over the course of the season. She was in the zone. The extra triple toe -- it was like she couldn't help but throw it in as the performance swept her along.

desertskates

Medalist
Very enjoyable competition to watch! The depth and quality of the Russian women is just mind numbing. I'm sorry that Anna didn't shine her brightest today, but I think she will come back extremely strong at Europeans and Worlds. What a very nice surprise for Alina Zagitova! At 14, she has to be absolutely thrilled to have the silver medal from such a tough nationals. And Sotskova is really growing on my as the season wears on. Though I'm not a big fan of her music choice, Evgenia was her usual outstanding self. I loved the 3-3-3! It was a cheeky move, but she's a young girl, so why not have a little fun when your technical ability is so sound. This has to be such a heartbreaker for Radionova, but I just find that her jump technique has become so sloppy. I'm not sure if this will motivate her, or if she'll be one of the ladies that just fades away in this pool of talent.
I absolutely think the right three ladies are on the team for Europeans, and feel they'll easily sweep the podium.
Btw, am I the only one that thinks it would be super fun to be able to attend a Russian Nationals? :) I'm sure it's next to impossible for a random American to snag tickets for such a thing. But the talent on display along with the atmosphere in the arena would be such a thrill. Plus, the chance to visit a fascinating county. Ah, one can dream...

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
I'm sure it's next to impossible for a random American to snag tickets for such a thing. But the talent on display along with the atmosphere in the arena would be such a thrill. Plus, the chance to visit a fascinating county. Ah, one can dream...
I read that the cost of tickets around 200-400 rubles, which is about 3-7 dollars. I bet stay at the hotel will be inexpensive too. So there is only two problems - flight cost and visa :scratch2:

desertskates

Medalist
I think the visa situation could be sticky. I visited years ago as part of a tour group, so a letter of invitation was provided by the tour operator. I don't speak Russian, so that would be a real hindrance as well. I can't believe the tickets are that cheap, though :laugh:
Maybe it should be something I look in to one day!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well, I'm starting to think that a Russian sweep of the podium in Pyeongchang (Medvedeva, Zagitova, Tsurskaya) is very possible.

The depth of the Russian ladies field is undeniable- the fact that Pogorilaya had no major errors and still finished fourth is difficult to imagine.

The surprise of the competition for me was Sotskova, whose landings looked a lot better than they have this season- I didn't see any underrotations. Her programs are really growing on me, and she has a very elegant and sophisticated quality to her skating that I think will continue to develop overtime. I'm happy she made the world team.

Slightly disappointed with Tuktamysheva- you wouldn't believe she was the world champion two years ago. Hopefully she gets her jumps back soon- they were unmatched during her prime. I thought she'd go for the 3A here but evidently not.

What a great competition!

Just wow it is amazing. I love Gubanova and several of these kids were fun to watch.

Now how do they pick world team? Is Alina too young which means that Anna is on European and world team?

It was sad to see Liza struggle like that. And Elena is being eclipsed but don't count her out. Except for Evgenia it seems that the most thesecRussian girls will get is maybe one year or two in the top spotlight. I have not seen a recent Polina T and I love her this year. I guess she is injured?

Anyone know more? As for Korea it could be anyone on that Russian team. As of now only Evgenia is a lock but an injury could blow that too.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I read that the cost of tickets around 200-400 rubles, which is about 3-7 dollars. I bet stay at the hotel will be inexpensive too. So there is only two problems - flight cost and visa :scratch2:

Actually, it was not very expensive when I went to St Petersburg but, that was way back in 1999. We took a train from Helsinki........Why was I in Helsinki? I was there to see Maria Butyrskaya win her World Title. It is still my favorite skating memory as I'd been following Maria's career since 1992. She kissed me on the cheek after I gave her roses. I loved every minute of my time in Russia and I highly recommend a visit if you're within 100 miles of the border. Have any of you ever been to "Divoland" It's an amusement park in St Petersburg. It was super fun and there were so many nice people who Joked about my weird accent and horrible knowledge of the Russian Language. We all loved it!!

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just wow it is amazing. I love Gubanova and several of these kids were fun to watch.

Now how do they pick world team? Is Alina too young which means that Anna is on European and world team?

It was sad to see Liza struggle like that. And Elena is being eclipsed but don't count her out. Except for Evgenia it seems that the most thesecRussian girls will get is maybe one year or two in the top spotlight. I have not seen a recent Polina T and I love her this year. I guess she is injured?

Anyone know more? As for Korea it could be anyone on that Russian team. As of now only Evgenia is a lock but an injury could blow that too.

Basically it's Anna, Evgenia, and Maria for Euros. Alina is too young. Worlds will be decided after Euros and the Cup of Russia Finals.

And I believe Polina T just had surgery on her knee and is preparing for Junior Nationals.

Khoai

Match Penalty
I have to say they overscored Miss Sotskova and Miss Zagitova too much. They should have waited for several years.