What's On Hot Dogs Where You Live? | Golden Skate

What's On Hot Dogs Where You Live?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I just watched a show about hot dogs on the Travel Channel and was surprised at some of the toppings. What do you eat on them? Here it's a combination of hot dog chile which is different from regular chile, coleslaw, (made of grated cabbage and dressed with a dressing of miracle whip , sugar and vinegar), catsup, yellow mustard, and onions.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Around here, mostly mustard, ketchup, butter or mayo, pickles or relish and possibly onions. I don't usually care that much for mustard but sure want it on my hot dog. Trouble is, I don't dare eat them much because of the salt. My mother always boiled them. Roasting is so much better. The ones we used to get at the meat market up home had casings that were really tough. Bologna was made the same way, just a little larger than the weenies. But, sure wish I could get the chicken the way it was then, corn fed. So much better than anything you can get now.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mustard, relish, onions. Some people prefer ketchup (catsup) to mustard. Other people add chili. Still others add sauerkraut (not my favorite topping - I just don't like the smell of sauerkraut). To each his own, I guess. But then again, I prefer burgers to hot dogs.

Last edited:

Lucy25

Final Flight
Coleslaw on hotdogs? Sounds "interesting" :laugh:

Here in south-eastern Michigan, we prefer mustard, ketsup, onions, and relish, although some people like sweet relish, and some like dill relish. Many people like chili sauce on them. Me? I like them grilled with chili, melted cheese, mustard and onions.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Get your Hotdogs!!!

Lucy25 said:
Me? I like them grilled with chili, melted cheese, mustard and onions.
Lucy, I haven't had that combination----sounds good though. :laugh: :laugh:

We, here in Nebraska, put just about anything on our hotdogs. Personally, I like them grilled and just a little burnt. :laugh:

Dee

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I grew up in the Boston area and there was only one place that sold chilly dogs,and they were called "New York Chili Dogs". I lived in NYC for over a decade and I never once saw a chili dog. The sidewalk carts do offer saurkrat IIRC. In Europe they are really into sauces with their fast food. I usually get "American" although I've never tasted anything even remotely like it in the US. Of course, here they eat "Americane" also, which is raw hamburg with a raw egg and raw onions mixed in. It is my firm belief that no US citizen would ever go near such a thing with a ten foot pole, but there you have it. The French do eat "French Toast" though, although it's called "Pain Perdu" (lost bread) and it's not really that popular or available. Anyway, back to hotdogs, I can't really say that much, as every country I've ever been in let's you choose what you put on it, and since I'm not really a condiments kinda guy, I usually eat my hotdogs plain. Oh, I forgot! In Denmark they are really into thier hotdog carts, and usually they serve them with heaps of dried fried onions and pickles. They're really into them in Sweeden too (as anyone who's been to Ikea can attest), but without the onions and pickles. Germany is my favorite as the common Bratworst sold in carts is really sausage and much, much better than hotdogs, which are pretty icky IMHO. They did save my life in Copenhagen though, as everything else is so expensive you practicly have to take a second mortgage out on your house just to eat. :laugh:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Out here on the west coast, chili dogs are very popular. I don't do hot dogs myself, but hubby loves them and puts mayo, catsup, and tons of relish on them...........42

icenut84

Final Flight
I work at a theme park, and we sell hot dogs that can have onions, ketchup and/or mustard on them. You can also get extra toppings like chilli (as in chilli con carne), salsa, jalapeno peppers (yuk), and grated cheese.
Normally though, if you get them from a fair or something, you'd probably be offered ketchup, mustard and onions.

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Lucy25 said:
Here in south-eastern Michigan, .................Me? I like them grilled with chili, melted cheese, mustard and onions.

Sounds like a Detroit girl to me, that's where I grew up and that's the way our whole family "dressed" their dogs (and a little burnt, like Dee!). :laugh:

Nan

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I like them kind of burnt too. I also like my marshmallows brown, burnt actually. Let them catch on fire and blow them out immediately. Yummmmmmmmmmmm.

Lucy25

Final Flight
A little bit burnt = YUM! Kind of like roasted marshmallows, they are better with a little charcoal taste.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I'm in Nebraska with Dee, and I like ketchup and mustard on my vegetarian hot dogs, which, alas, taste like boiled rubber when grilled. They only taste good when cooked on my George Foreman grill. Weird.

Laura, waiting for the day when they perfect veggie hot dogs... :)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
:eek: :eek: :eek: I can't believe that you all have not had a hot dog with chile and slaw. You must give this a try. I have to agree with those who like them slightly burnt (marshmallows too :love: )

Piel

All the trimmings one can get at the Ball Park

When I go to Shea, I just get a Frankfurter with Mustard and watch Piazza hit a home run and then have cracker jacks for dessert, and I'm in heaven.

At the Nats i have the same things but the 'hot dog' is not as good, but then there is Michelle doing a triple triple combo. beats crackert jacks. :)

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Canadians are pretty bland when it comes to hot dogs - usually we top them with the usual mustard, ketchup and relsish. I suppose some folks put onions and mayo on them. We also indulge in what is called a "smokey" which is a European hot dog (Polish I think). It's fatter than the usual hot dog. They are very popular.

Sombre Dimanche

Spectator
Personally, I like just ketchup. My friends and Mom's family eat them with ketchup, mustard, chile, and onions and that's pretty much it. My Dad's family eats them with steiktur lauker(like fried onions) and Remoladi(like mustard) mostly. That's about it.

katherine2001

On the Ice
People put different things on them around here. I would say that most people put mustard, ketchup, onions and relish on them. Others will put chili or sauerkraut on them. I like to have cheese and bacon bits on mine with a little ketchup.