Random Confessions | Page 162 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
My boyfriend wants to know if anyone has skated while holding a cat.

Has your boyfriend got a thing for skating with animals? Because I remember you posting that he wanted to see Sasha and Tina Trusova skating together.

Anyway, to answer your question, according to this video, Bruno Massot did while he was in Pyeongchang for the Olympics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RwTx4jGjWQ

Seriously, though, I don't think a cat would appreciate somebody skating with it. A cat would probably go into psycho slasher mode. I think it would work better with a dog.

So, I'll leave you with this image:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/27/2e/af/272eafc2661346b1f6a5034b04ccaf1b.jpg

CaroLiza_fan

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist

Not that I know of, but as a scientist and a skater, I couldn't let this go un-experimented (off ice, of course). :laugh: Here's part of a faux journal article!

Experimental Method: Two cats were selected due to being within 5 feet of me and not possessing unsuitably nervous temperaments. Both run around in circles after toys, so I figured the rotation of half and single jumps, which is all I can do anyway, would bother them too much.

Results and Discussion:

Waltz jump: Cat 1 growled. Loudly. Granted, he's ornery under the best of circumstances and was already growling before I jumped. Cat 2 squeaked and chirped indignantly. The jump had its usual height and rotation but severely lacked distance.

Salchow: The jump was underrotated by about 140 degrees. My Salchows are very nearly a perfect 360 degrees when not holding 10-15% of my body weight in displeased feline. Cats' reactions same as previous.

Conclusion: Depending on the temperament of the cat and size of the cat and skater, this could be a really bad idea for both. In order to be feasible, the cat would have to be much calmer than mine, and the skater would have to be much stronger than I am or the cat much smaller than my gigantic floofy monster (Cat 1) and fat former stray who doesn't seem to realize that the food won't disappear if she doesn't eat it all now (Cat 2). :laugh:

Citation: 5, hanyuufan; Cat, Growly; Cat, Chirpy. The feasibility of skating with cats. Golden Skate Forum, 2020, Thread 62139, p. 166

Annie122

Rinkside
Not that I know of, but as a scientist and a skater, I couldn't let this go un-experimented (off ice, of course). :laugh: Here's part of a faux journal article!

Experimental Method: Two cats were selected due to being within 5 feet of me and not possessing unsuitably nervous temperaments. Both run around in circles after toys, so I figured the rotation of half and single jumps, which is all I can do anyway, would bother them too much.

. Golden Skate Forum, 2020, Thread 62139, p. 166

I had a physics textbook that had a graphic of a cat being dropped from a sizable height and all of the rotations it went through before it inevitably landed on its feet...
and now I’m just reimagining with all the jumps 😂

Would cats be the masters of throws?

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Not that I know of, but as a scientist and a skater, I couldn't let this go un-experimented (off ice, of course). [emoji23] Here's part of a faux journal article!

Results and Discussion:

Waltz jump: Cat 1 growled. Loudly. Granted, he's ornery under the best of circumstances and was already growling before I jumped. Cat 2 squeaked and chirped indignantly. The jump had its usual height and rotation but severely lacked distance.

Salchow: The jump was underrotated by about 140 degrees. My Salchows are very nearly a perfect 360 degrees when not holding 10-15% of my body weight in displeased feline. Cats' reactions same as previous.

Conclusion: Depending on the temperament of the cat and size of the cat and skater, this could be a really bad idea for both. In order to be feasible, the cat would have to be much calmer than mine, and the skater would have to be much stronger than I am or the cat much smaller than my gigantic floofy monster (Cat 1) and fat former stray who doesn't seem to realize that the food won't disappear if she doesn't eat it all now (Cat 2). [emoji23]

Citation: 5, hanyuufan; Cat, Growly; Cat, Chirpy. The feasibility of skating with cats. Golden Skate Forum, 2020, Thread 62139, p. 166
This is what I love about this thread. [emoji23] [emoji23]
According to the results of me trying to dance with my gigantic cat and how annoyed he was, I too conclude it's not very doable. [emoji23][emoji23]

Ducky

On the Ice
I had a physics textbook that had a graphic of a cat being dropped from a sizable height and all of the rotations it went through before it inevitably landed on its feet...
and now I’m just reimagining with all the jumps ��

Would cats be the masters of throws?

Better question: you could cat that cat without it then clawing your face off?

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I have finally settled on the title for the royal being depicted on my avatar: Her Divine Majesty. Now there's no overlap with the title of the monarch of the British Commonwealth, and her status as a goddess among Korean fans is shown as well. Posting this because in less than 24 hours it shall be the 10th anniversary of Her Divine Majesty, Queen Yuna's coronation :hb:

As a footnote, I momentarily wondered if I should address her as a pharaoh since they're the ones known for being divine royals, but Long Live the Pharaoh doesn't have the ring to it. I'm too used to calling her the Queen anyway :p

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
For a while now I've been having some mild anxiety over EC 2021 being in Zagreb. The footage for last year's Junior WC was so poor that I'm worried it'll be like that for the EC too. 😂😂😂

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
It's noon and I need a beer. I blamed slow reflexes enough so now I'm blaming my college's terrible course administration. What the hell is a Korean Lit major supposed to do when all the Korean Lit courses are already taken??? :tantrum:

I'll be haggling with the professors to let me into courses for the rest of the week, I so hate going back to school (deep, deep sigh)

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I fished out The Magic Pudding to read again, and through the process of actually wondering what 'bungfoodling' actually means for once I found out that it was a word Norman Lindsay invented. How did I not realize that for around 15 years, I have no idea

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
Everyone in the UK seems to be absolutely mental about Corona these days. There are plenty of crazy people panic-buying all the basic stuff, ESPECIALLY toilet paper. Brits are obsessed with stockpiling toilet paper these days.
Whatever supermarket we visit, the toilet paper shelves are completely empty...

When we ran out of toilet paper some days ago, we went on a desperate search for a shop that doesn't have toilet paper sold out.
Searched through about 6 shops, didn't find anything.

Then we went to the supermarket around the corner again to get the rest of our stuff and because I wanted to see if I could find some suitable leggins for skating in their clothing section.

Out of the blue, I found an orphaned toilet paper roll pack with 72(!) rolls stranded in one of the change rooms.

Guess what...

We now have 72 toilet paper rolls and are part of the problem.:mad:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Everyone in the UK seems to be absolutely mental about Corona these days. There are plenty of crazy people panic-buying all the basic stuff, ESPECIALLY toilet paper. Brits are obsessed with stockpiling toilet paper these days.
Whatever supermarket we visit, the toilet paper shelves are completely empty...

I'll raise you. Two women in an Australian supermarket started a honest to notgoodness all out brawl over the last few rolls of toilet paper and the police had to be called to arrest them both... On the other hand, a NT newspaper kindly printed a special eight-page insert 'designed' to be into toilet paper squares :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I just cannot get over how selfish people are being buying up essential items in bulk. What about the more considerate people coming behind them, who just buy what they need? What are they supposed to do when they find there is nothing left?

And the supermarkets are not helping with their response. For example, some are limiting people to 6 bottles of handwash at a time. But, even this is excessive. Even in a biggish household, 6 bottles should last for months. But, because 6 is what they are being "limited" to, people are buying 6. :rolleye:

And now, people are starting to steal the bottles of hand sanitisers from hospitals. :shocked: I just don't know what to say. Like, do they not think that the people in hospitals (patients and staff) maybe need them a bit more?

I really despair about the selfishness of people nowadays.

CaroLiza_fan

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
^^I agree. We are told we can make our own sanitizer... 2 parts alcohol to 1 part Aloe Vera with a drop of lavender oil for scent... but.... alcohol and Aloe are disappearing also.. it is unreal..:shocked:

Ducky

On the Ice
I just cannot get over how selfish people are being buying up essential items in bulk. What about the more considerate people coming behind them, who just buy what they need? What are they supposed to do when they find there is nothing left?

And the supermarkets are not helping with their response. For example, some are limiting people to 6 bottles of handwash at a time. But, even this is excessive. Even in a biggish household, 6 bottles should last for months. But, because 6 is what they are being "limited" to, people are buying 6. :rolleye:

And now, people are starting to steal the bottles of hand sanitisers from hospitals. :shocked: I just don't know what to say. Like, do they not think that the people in hospitals (patients and staff) maybe need them a bit more?

I really despair about the selfishness of people nowadays.

CaroLiza_fan

When it comes to things like face masks, I have absolutely no problem with stores marking them up at such a level that the average person wouldn't be able to afford them because it should mean that they will still be available for institutions (like hospitals) to buy.

Finally a time when price gouging/the market makes sense.

The drug stores around here have been limiting hand sanitizers to one per person.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Since it's almost 8.000 posts...Being still fresh from WJC in Tallinn, I want to thank you all for every kind word/PM/interaction on Twitter or there, regarding WJC or other FS things happening. I realized that rolling the dice and gamble a bit regarding these travels and competitions attended live was one of the best decisions I made in my life - and decision I made for myself. Each competition really energize me for a long time going forward and to see a skater's face lit up while seeing flower crown in the best feeling ever :). But it wouldn't happen without YOUR encouragement, believe me - my family is pretty skeptical over my independent strike and traveling desire and it is hard for my mom in particular to come to terms with me going all in into these travels, so it is always a bit hard for me to even tell my mom beforehand that I am going somewhere ;).

I had a BLAST at WJC, really didn't expect to have so much fun and excitement, taking into consideration all things surrounding COVID-19 situation and my initial thoughts on KnC separated from the audience in perspective of delivering crowns. But such situations teach me to never give up and find ways to succeed :)

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
You are very welcome, Beatrice! I remember watching the video of you handing Piper that beautiful bouquet of sunflowers and seeing her holding it in the K&C and being over the moon that I was one of the ones who encouraged you to go. :biggrin:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
You are very welcome, Beatrice! I remember watching the video of you handing Piper that beautiful bouquet of sunflowers and seeing her holding it in the K&C and being over the moon that I was one of the ones who encouraged you to go. :biggrin:

I remember that!:laugh:

It was pretty similar with my mom as it was with WJC recently, as she got to know I am going to France just before departure of a flight - and IdF 2018 was my first competition where I made some crafty gifts, so it holds a special place in my heart. It is difficult for me to see how Senior worlds situation is panning out due to coronavirus - I still intend to go, however probably flower crowns won't be distributed as I planned :(. I just hope that maybe I will be able to handle custom made gifts for Piper and Paul, even off-competition. We shall see.