Page 171 of 171 FirstFirst ... 71121161162163164165166167168169170171
Results 3,401 to 3,420 of 3420

Thread: Random Confessions

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    As you know, I have been watching a lot of classic films recently. And there have been a number of surprises in the names I have been seeing in some of the credits.

I watched the film "Lady Godiva Rides Again" (1951) a few days ago and, whilst I didn't know any of the headline cast, there were some names that went on to be VERY famous amongst the supporting cast:

• Diana Dors, who was soon being billed as the "British Marilyn Monroe".
    • Sid James, who would go on to be the star of the "Carry On" series of films.

Even amongst the extras there were names that became very famous:

• Joan Collins, who went on to become what can only be described as a legend of acting.
    • Ruth Ellis, who a few years later became the last woman to be executed in the UK.

Have to be honest, although I knew her name because of how she met her end, I didn't know much about Ruth. It was a real surprise to find out that she had appeared in films. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to pick her out.

This morning, I taped another film. After checking if I had got the end of it, I decided to watch those first few minutes of the film following it, "The Second Woman" (1950), that were at the end of the recording. And I saw the following in the opening credits:

Musical Themes: Peter Ilyitch Tschaikovsky

United Artists pulled off some coup getting Tchaikovsky on board! Especially since he had been dead for nearly 57 years!

(Never seen that particular transliteration of his name before).

CaroLiza_fan

GS Supporter

5 Not allowed!
    There was a time when I did not think I would see the sun rise again, today that very sun gave me a nice sunburn.

Fangirl of men’s spirals and split jumps el henry's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex D View Post
    There was a time when I did not think I would see the sun rise again, today that very sun gave me a nice sunburn.
    AlexD, so glad that your health has returned, but watch that sun!

3 Not allowed!
    I've always hated running and using the skipping rope. I now use them because Corona kinda "forces" me to. And I may have started to like it, just a tiny, tiny, bit.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar

5 Not allowed!
    I just watched "Sesame Street" for the first time in what must be over 20 years. And it was great!!! I couldn't stop smiling!!!

It was a lockdown special where Elmo was having video calls with his friends. Sure, there were new characters that I didn't know (both in terms of muppets and humans), but seeing the old characters like Elmo, Grover, Cookie Monster, and The Count brought back so many memories.

I was a bit disappointed that there weren't more of the old characters on. It would have been nice to see Oscar, Snuffy and Alice, the Yip Yips, etc. Admittedly, Bert and Ernie and Big Bird were shown during the sing-song at the end, but they weren't actually part of the main show.

That said, having Anne Hathaway on made up for the disappointment!!! (I wonder if I asked nicely would Elmo would give me her phone number...? )

I have to admit, it did seem strange watching "Sesame Street "on the BBC (it was on Channel 4 and Network 2 when I was growing up). But, hey, it hasn't been on any TV channels here for so long, so I'll not complain!

I really hope that this will not just be a one-off, and that kids in the British Isles will again be able to watch and enjoy the show as much as I did when I was a youngster. I learnt so much from "Sesame Street", and I really feel that kids today should have the opportunity to do so too!

CaroLiza_fan

Long live the Queen and her successors Ichatdelune's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
    So last night I was feeling drowsy around 11 pm (which is quite astonishing since I usually fall asleep when the sun comes up) and was ready to get my zzzs, but my annoyance of a brother had to use the shower (the bathroom is literally three steps away from my room) and sing at the top of his lungs while doing so. And believe me, my brother absolutely cannot sing. He can't carry a tune for his life. Suffice it to say that I had to take a siesta to make up for that lost sleep.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Ended up watching Spike Lee's Da 5 Bloods last night - it's a great film that I can't decide if I need to rewatch to start working on a thesis on how Lee creates anxiety and discomfort because he doesn't use traditional genre conventions to create distance for the viewer from the characters during some really, really violent scenes later on in the film, verses how in these flashback war scenes (and memory sequences) the carnage is at a remove because they follow war movie conventions, of if I never want to watch it again.

Also loved how the actors all play the younger versions of themselves but the flashbacks are shot in such a way that their faces are mostly obscured and it's so frantically paced that you don't notice they are decades older than Chadwick Boseman, whereas the memory sequences all have the actors appear as their present day ages. (yes... I rewatched a few scenes to make sure of that...)

tl;dr: Great film, distressing, very violent and you will need a few tissues on hand, but you may never want to rewatch it again.

Long live the Queen and her successors Ichatdelune's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    It has been 33 minutes since my birthday ended here, it was a surprisingly normal day. I got congratulated by three friends and maman bought me a cake. Aside from that, I had online classes to attend (thank goodness the semester is soon coming to a close) and I also woke up at 8 to go and work. That's life, I guess. Still, happy belated birthday to me.

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichatdelune View Post
    It has been 33 minutes since my birthday ended here, it was a surprisingly normal day. I got congratulated by three friends and maman bought me a cake. Aside from that, I had online classes to attend (thank goodness the semester is soon coming to a close) and I also woke up at 8 to go and work. That's life, I guess. Still, happy belated birthday to me.

2 Not allowed!
    oh mio Dior!!!!!! happy birthday!!!!!

2 Not allowed!

❅*:・。.✨

2 Not allowed!
    Happy birthday!

0 Not allowed!
    Someone please upgrade my memory chip. I would be fluent in Japanese if not for my weaknesses in vocabulary and kanji. I just hate rote memorization so much. I can only learn to write complex kanji by memorizing the components and making up little phrases or stories that tie them together with the character's meaning, but I can't do that if I can't memorize the components in the first place! I can definitely learn to read kanji by just memorizing the whole thing, but writing-wise, I'll retain them for maybe a week if I'm lucky.

1 Not allowed!
    Happy belated birthday to you, Ichat! May next season be more lucky to you and your babies!

4 Not allowed!
    As many can guess from my nickname, I'm a big fan of a certain big and chubby pokemon. Since Covid prevents Snorlax (both the Poke and the reallife me ) from skating on the ice, we have found a workaround called inline skating. I figured it's only appropriate to change my avatar on here to one with inline skates...

For reference, you can find the old avatar under this link (and my plush-friends Snorlax and Babysnorlax while they're "off the eaten path", helping me stick to my diet, eating all my snacks...)

https://imgur.com/a/1kNuJpo

And yes, I'm slightly insane, my excuse is the lockdown!

1 Not allowed!
    A few years ago, there was a Japanese tweet with several thousand likes and retweets, in which someone had photoshopped a pair of glasses onto a smiling Snorlax and captioned it something like, "This person was definitely in your class." Sure enough, he was in my high school. And my mom's elementary school. Interesting how it seems to be true across multiple countries and generations that everyone had an easygoing, chubby glasses-wearer in their class.

1 Not allowed!
    I'm sitting in my living room and watching a movie in my decrepit old Freestyles.

NEVER EVER EVER jump in skates off ice. It's dangerous and stupid. That being said, I did a teeny, tiny waltz jump and landed on a really good outside edge and now I miss the feeling of being on a deep edge so badly.

Bona Fide Member cheerknithanson's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    I created a framework of a FD to a cover of "Build G-D, Then We'll Talk" by Panic at the Disco. This cover is by the YouTube channel called Rafael Flexor. I used the cover cause it goes to the length that a FD can be. (Link to cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiFK3kp5kGY)

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    Ugh, I hate know it all guys. An acquaintance, that I need to be friendly with, today told me that "I was argumentative" and he that he "didn't like to argue" when all he really meant was that he didn't want to be challenged on ANYTHING. Like he didn't want to hear about why I liked reading the comments on articles because he felt they were garbage, full stop, or (because I live right off this street) the bodega he was referring to was on the right of the laundromat on the corner when he was saying to look left -- dude, not everyone looks at street signs, trust AND if you are coming from the direction we were coming from you would see the place on your right BEFORE you turned -- and then he had the temerity to tell me that I really needed to start playing ice hockey after I told him I really liked figure skating.

I'm sorry but just because I disagree with your opinion doesn't make me "argumentative" it just makes me a person with a valid opinion and I don't care if you were friends with Joan Didion and can name check all these other auteurs who are in your circle, my thoughts and opinions on a matter deserve to be heard. And maybe he would be better served by being quiet and listening to them to, I don't know, actually learn?

Also, stopping me from talking about a film because you want to talk about how you find the director/lead actress sexy AND then to explain you're beyond looks because you value other qualities beyond conventional beauty -- well let's just say that 'not finding the Khardasians attractive' is not a personality.

Sorry. It's just, I hate having to pretend I'm less in order to keep peace and I realize that this is exactly that I'm going to have to do in order to hang out with some of my friends when he's around.

1 Not allowed!
    The Girl Without A Face
    Happy Canada Day to all of the Canadians here!

Page 171 of 171 FirstFirst ... 71121161162163164165166167168169170171