Random Confessions | Page 120 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

This is probably a good time to tell this story.

There are 2 Russian skaters in particular who for years whenever I saw either of them, I have always thought "boys, she is a cross wee biddy!"

I have since become connected with both of them on Facebook. One of them doesn't use Facebook much, so I can't really assess what she is really like. But I have been chatting with the other, and have discovered that my long-held verdict on her could not be further from the truth. She is actually a really lovely girl.

It just goes to show, the old saying is right:

"don't judge a book by it's cover"

CaroLiza_fan

Wait how do you randomly connect to skaters on Facebook? Just send them a request and hope they accept even if they don't know you?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Wait how do you randomly connect to skaters on Facebook? Just send them a request and hope they accept even if they don't know you?

Yep. You would be surprised how successful that tactic can be. Especially when it comes to lesser-known sportspeople, like the skaters I was talking about.

Most people involved in sports don't set up Fan Pages until they become very well known. So adding them like this is the only way of keeping up with what they are up to.

Don't worry - I'm not one of those people who goes in expecting to get into conversations or anything. These people deserve not to have total strangers pestering them, and expecting to become best friends. They deserve to be left in peace.

In this case, there was a specific reason why we were chatting.

CaroLiza_fan

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
I think the best way to pair the Chinese is to clone Jin Yang so he can skate with both Yu and Peng. :slink:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
As for the smiling... my mother once told me my school photograph made me look like a future school shooter. Photography day was always a treat. [emoji23]

That was my one consolation for all my horrific school pictures. At the very least, I didn't look dangerous... to others, at least. Nope, I looked like if I were going to harm anyone, it would be myself, by running into traffic chasing a butterfly or something equally stupid. Now that no one's forcing me to smile, I might not look like a model in pictures, but at least I look like I have half a brain in my head. :laugh:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Apparently some study showed that Americans think Russians look miserable, and that both countries report nearly identical levels of happiness but Russians show it in public less.

So that's why random taxi and bus drivers ask me, "Are you okay?" when I'm just sitting there minding my own business without a care in the world! I hate that... 'cause I'm a superstitious Russian(-American), and when I answer that I'm fine, I feel like I'm jinxing myself and something will happen to change that I'm fine! :laugh:

Someone should do a study on how culture clashes like that can still happen even though I've never even been to Russia, nor have my parents...

Ha ha this reminds me of how whenever I watch old YouTube videos of Plushy American and even the British Eurosport guys are like: "He never smiles! Even when he's just skated the lights out of his program."

Plushy remarked once that in Russia of you walked around smiling all the time people would think you were nuts!

My confession, I'm usually a cheery person who sees the bright side, but discussions involving T/M really get to me these days and I think I need to take a chill pill :laugh:

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
My confession, I'm usually a cheery person who sees the bright side, but discussions involving T/M really get to me these days and I think I need to take a chill pill :laugh:

Here’s a confession related to T/M for you: I didn’t hate Candyman. Actually, I think it’s a great piece of music. The issue with Candyman is the lyrics having so many bits that need censoring, which prevents the audience from getting into the music and also draws attention to the more explicit parts of the track. I think the programme could have worked well if the music had just been edited differently — start with some of the lyrics to give the audience something to sing along to, and try to stay instrumental for the verses before bringing back a vocal hook rather than bleeping the vocals.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Here’s a confession related to T/M for you: I didn’t hate Candyman. Actually, I think it’s a great piece of music. The issue with Candyman is the lyrics having so many bits that need censoring, which prevents the audience from getting into the music and also draws attention to the more explicit parts of the track. I think the programme could have worked well if the music had just been edited differently — start with some of the lyrics to give the audience something to sing along to, and try to stay instrumental for the verses before bringing back a vocal hook rather than bleeping the vocals.

That is my problem with their "Candyman" programme too. The editing is awful. And were it not for that editing, I wouldn't have even realised that there were any double entendres in there at all. As you say, it draws attention to them.

It's like, back when I was a kid with a massive crush on Billie Piper, my favourite song of her's was "Love Groove". And it was only a couple of years ago that I finally realised what the song was about...

And a few days ago, I posted a link in the music thread to a song from a band I liked when I was younger. I always thought it was a feel good song. Something to cheer you up when you are feeling down and make you feel like you're not worthless. But when I looked it up on Wikipedia afterwards, it said that it was pure innuendo. And after thinking about it for a while, I realised that it was right. :shocked:

As you probably all know by now, I am one of those people that thought allowing vocals in Singles and Pairs music was the wrong thing to do. And you have to admit, a lot of the things we have been complaining about the past few years would probably not have become a problem if the ISU had stuck to just having instrumental music.

• Music copyright (less likely to be sued for using an instrumental than for using a track with vocals)
  • Bad edits (edits can be disguised better in instrumentals)
  • Censorship (no need if no vocals)
  • Appropriateness of music to age of skater (less noticible that it is inappropriate if no vocals)
  • Dialogue (arrrgh!!!!)

But, like all organisations / people in power, the ISU are not going to admit that they got it wrong and reverse their decision. They are instead going to make little tweeks here and there to try to "improve" things. But all it will achieve is to introduce more red tape, and make things much more complicated for the skaters / choreographers.

Sorry for the rant. I just felt the need to get that off my chest.

CaroLiza_fan

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I was listening to Gackt on repeat during my freestyle session today. I FELT LIKE A TOTAL BADASS. Bluetooth headphones are a wonderful invention.

EDIT 12/15: OMG, I am so glad I went skating yesterday even though I was tired. A few hours later, my mom hit my ankle with a shopping cart by accident, and I think it aggravated an old sprain. Much as I love Yuzuru, I do not need to be his companion in ankle injuries, thank you...

By the way, the original sprain had nothing to do with skating. It was caused by plain old clumsiness which I clearly inherited from my mother. :laugh:

EDIT 12/16: It's better now, thank God. :laugh:

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I got annoyed because I couldn't find a squirtle plushy that looks like this no matter where I looked. But my schedule might not allow me to go to Korean Nationals, which is what the squirtle plushy is for. I really should learn how to manage my spare time better.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I got annoyed because I couldn't find a squirtle plushy that looks like this no matter where I looked. But my schedule might not allow me to go to Korean Nationals, which is what the squirtle plushy is for. I really should learn how to manage my spare time better.

Not a very good likeness, and rather expensive at that, but I found this:

https://sg.carousell.com/p/💝-plush-...ue-yellow-white-orange-beige-purple-89085464/

Personally, I think the best option would be to just buy a normal Squirtle, and add a flower to it.

CaroLiza_fan

OniBan

Final Flight
My random confession for the day: I really have to finish an illustration (work related) tonight so it can go into print tomorrow but all I want to do right now is draw my favourite skaters. The dilemma and internal conflict HELP

Interspectator

Record Breaker
My random confession for the day: I really have to finish an illustration (work related) tonight so it can go into print tomorrow but all I want to do right now is draw my favourite skaters. The dilemma and internal conflict HELP

I can relate!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Random confession -- I am a total movie freak. I have so much to do, so what did I do yesterday? I went to 2 movies -- "Shoplifters" (a Japanese film, and I was so excited that I actually understood a few words!) and "Ben Is Back" (whew, I was exhausted when it was over). I see so many movies that I have to keep an Excel spreadsheet so I don't accidentally go to the same movie twice (as some of us have been known to do! :laugh:).

Ducky

On the Ice
Random confession -- I am a total movie freak. I have so much to do, so what did I do yesterday? I went to 2 movies -- "Shoplifters" (a Japanese film, and I was so excited that I actually understood a few words!) and "Ben Is Back" (whew, I was exhausted when it was over). I see so many movies that I have to keep an Excel spreadsheet so I don't accidentally go to the same movie twice (as some of us have been known to do! :laugh:).

Oh gods, SHOPLIFTERS is sooo good and is in my top 5 of 2018. Would see it again in a heartbeat.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Random confession - it's the little things that make me happy. While cleaning out a box of what I thought was all Christmas decorations, I found my original Kermit the Frog doll from light years ago. I thought he had gotten so decrepit that I threw him out. I'm so happy and feel very nostalgic now. I think I have to sing a chorus of "It's Not Easy Being Green" and "Rainbow Connection"! :slink:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WS3Lkc6Gzlk

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I bought myself an audiobook subscription service and I am loving it. Right now I'm listening to Stephen Fry reading Anton Chekhov's short stories, it's wonderful.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’ve been writing a really cool song and have most of the musical arrangements in order. I’m really excited about this one but haven’t been able to write down a single word. Like not one word set in stone yet. :laugh: It’s not really writers block as much as I have no idea what I want to write about but maybe that is writers block :scratch2: Anyway... I think sometimes I overthink these things and wind up disrupting creativity by the weight of unreasonable expectations.

Any suggestions how to break the funk of writers block in general since I think I’m admitting to myself as having it via this post :laugh2: