Random Confessions | Page 158 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I posted in a thread this morning, and since then there have been a few more replies. And with one of the replies, I just cannot understand what they are getting at at all.

At first I thought the reason I didn't understand it was because the poster was not a native English speaker. However, some native English-speaking members then replied, and actually expressed agreement with the statement. Yet I am still totally baffled by it!

So, I have come to the conclusion that it is either:

1. yet another case of me not being down with the kids
  2. a recently coined phrase that has not reached (my part of) Northern Ireland yet
  3. a quote from a TV programme I don't watch
  4. a line from song that I have never heard before

I am leaning towards options 1 or 2, because I have done a Google search for the statement, and it hasn't come up with anything. And if it was a TV quote or a song lyric, surely there would have been something out there.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just noticed that (before this was posted) there were 3,230 posts in this thread... and 230 of them were from me! :eek:

Mind you, although I am the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] most prolific poster in this thread, I have some way to go to catch up with NoNameFace. She has 320 posts!

And I hope that her number will increase significantly over the next few months, due to her showing us her beautiful craftwork! :)

CaroLiza_fan

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I have a cold. My head aches and I'm coughing. Is it probably because I half froze to death at Nats? Yes. Would I do it again? Also Yes. Am I going to be sick again after 4CC, which is for four days and with longer hours, and not regret that as well? Yes and Yes :drama:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I have a cold. My head aches and I'm coughing. Is it probably because I half froze to death at Nats? Yes. Would I do it again? Also Yes. Am I going to be sick again after 4CC, which is for four days and with longer hours, and not regret that as well? Yes and Yes :drama:

*puts on motherly hat* plenty of fluids and rest. Do you ever use a nasal spray? I know it's gross but it actually does work to deal with post nasal drip which is what causes chest congestion.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I have 8 unused vacation days that I will need to use by the end of March and am seriously contemplating getting tickets for Worlds in Montreal. Or, maybe just taking a lot of Fridays off.

How do you feel about cold? Just a fair warning because I live about an hour and a bit from Montreal and we get very similar weather and late March can be anything from lovely and sunny and 15C and cold as hades -20C or warmish -2C but with a freezing rain. March weather is extremely unpredictable.

Ducky

On the Ice
How do you feel about cold? Just a fair warning because I live about an hour and a bit from Montreal and we get very similar weather and late March can be anything from lovely and sunny and 15C and cold as hades -20C or warmish -2C but with a freezing rain. March weather is extremely unpredictable.

Thanks for the warning. I'm from Buffalo and in elementary school we would only have recess inside in the winter if it the temp was below 0F/-18C or if it was really snowing.

Alas, I decided to go ahead and purchase the competition tickets for Friday and Saturday so I guess this might be a good reason to check the weather and buy that Canada Goose jacket I somehow see everyone wearing.... ::checks price on website:: or you know, maybe I'll just find a really good knock off.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I had a dream last night where I met my darling Junhwan sitting next to me in a rink. The first thing I did when I saw him was asking "Are your ankles okay???????", to which he just awkwardly laughed. I'm afraid now that I'll actually do the same if I ever get to meet him when he's not wearing his boots :drama:

Kinda related, but I've started ordering plushies for 4CCs. All of team Korea gets plushies, and then some extras for the foreign skaters I adore. I've spent nearly 200 bucks already and the list might grow longer. Help :dance2:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I had a dream last night where I met my darling Junhwan sitting next to me in a rink. The first thing I did when I saw him was asking "Are your ankles okay???????", to which he just awkwardly laughed. I'm afraid now that I'll actually do the same if I ever get to meet him when he's not wearing his boots :drama:

Reminds me of the dream I had where I was walking around alone with Yuzuru and he had his arm around me and I could have done anything I wanted, but I chose to tell him that he has the most beautiful triple Axel in the world. :laugh:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
School holidays seasonal news special from the English academy, brought to you by peanut butter cookies and warm caffeinated peach iced tea.

- Since the kids don't go to school, the place opens at 10 am now because parents need a place for their kids to stay put in. I miss waking up according to my bodily clock, which is set to UTC +2.

- The boss wanted to know why I was taking February 6th and 7th off, thus I had to explain the existence of 4CC. I don't think she actually understood it.

- My first fave student, Dan, is temporarily back. He has improved so much, I'm mighty proud of him. He's one of the rare ones that are actually interested in improving so that helps. It's also why he likes me (and vice versa), as I'm the type that tends to pour down knowledge on the kids. Which brings me to:

- Lord I miss Min (my most beloved student who (sniffle) has stopped coming), she was the only one who had the spark. There's a spark in a student's eyes when they are interested and want to know more, when they feel the joy of learning. There were so many things I wanted to introduce her to, philosophy, history, linguistics, literature, mythology, and of course a bucketload of great fantasy books. She had the wits and she had the will, like, she wanted to learn Greek after finishing Percy Jackson. I'm forever going to be bitter about the fact that I never got to take her higher.

- My current fave student, Elle, has done lessons only with me (minus my time in Italy) for the last year. She's studious and hard-working (and most importantly, smart enough to understand that I'm trying to teach her the deeper stuff) so with some pushing on my part she has improved a lot. And with some ado (in short: holiday season requires "special reading", needed to satisfy both the parents and herself, after some discussion and internal debates convinced her on Life of Pi, her mother called asking for something more of a "classic" nature) I finally got her to read To Kill a Mockingbird (my original choice, manager vetoed it because from her experience most kids found the racial issues too deep to understand) starting from next week. The manager had thought of 1984, but as I made her read The Giver and she was very much depressed by it I knew it was never going to be okay on her part. Besides, a soon-to-be 13 yo is way better off reading To Kill a Mockingbird, which is a)actually interesting story-wise and b)much more likely to be understood.

- I'm making short Sparknotes-esque summaries for a whole bunch of books, it's apparently for teachers in the other branches who don't have the time to read up on the material. The problem of the teacher not knowing the material aside, I asked why they couldn't just look up Sparknotes, and the manager said "It's not received too well", i.e. they don't know how to utilize Sparknotes. :palmf:

- The water purifier is out of order again. And there isn't an electric teapot or anything. I'm going to go nuts.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Apologies for the double post, but I just have to get this off my chest: at the English academy there's this 8-year-old named, translated, Indigo. When I first heard her name I was like "Oh, unusual name. Moving on", but now her younger sister has registered, and her name is Green.

Green. Indigo and Green.

No disrespect, but I could not help myself from cringing massively internally. Like, what were their parents thinking...

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Many years ago I had an ESOL (English to Speakers of Other Languages) student from Colombia. His name was Fabio Mesa. Some of my other students from Spanish speaking countries would make fun of his last name (Mesa in Spanish = table), which I thought was really unkind. I squelched that teasing promptly. A few years after that, I had a Vietnamese student named Phuc Nguyen. My ESOL students never taunted him, but a number of his homeroom classmates (native speakers of English) did. No wonder he & his father went to court to get his first name legally changed to "Peter" so that the taunting would stop.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Apologies for the double post, but I just have to get this off my chest: at the English academy there's this 8-year-old named, translated, Indigo. When I first heard her name I was like "Oh, unusual name. Moving on", but now her younger sister has registered, and her name is Green.

Green. Indigo and Green.

No disrespect, but I could not help myself from cringing massively internally. Like, what were their parents thinking...

ooooh.. Maybe they will have another and call them eggplant.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
ooooh.. Maybe they will have another and call them eggplant.

Forgive me whoever is up there high above, for I have burst out laughing after reading this. Indigo, Green, and Eggplant :laugh2:

But seriously, the other kids stared when the two came on the same time and the manager greeted them "Hello, Indigo, hello, Green." One boy of seven asked me if they were related, and when I said they were siblings he literally said "Why did the parents name them like that?" and caused me a mini-panic as I tried to shut him up without the two in question noticing. The hazards of watching over 40+ little kids...

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I thought I had a cat hair in my eye, but it was a hair from my bangs (fringe). :dbana: Fortunately for the pain level of removing hairs from my eye (but not for brushing out knots), my hair isn't much bigger in diameter than an average cat's, apparently...!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Our Christmas season was laced with melancholy.... my sister's oldest horse, Sparky, passed over Rainbow Bridge just a few days before the Holiday. He was aged 31, a full-blood Arabian, and I loved him more than my own life. He retained his beautiful conformation, feisty spirit til the end. His pasture mate, Harmony, has been grieving even tho she has another companion now. Sparks had been losing weight steadily last year; my sister and I discussed whether he would survive another winter. She began to add a high calorie oil supplement to his feed thru last summer and he began to gain weight... but these things are always precarious at best.. just before Christmas he injured his eye badly.. not something he would fully recover from even with the best vet care... he rests now in the pasture next door to me where he spent the last lovely years of his life, running, playing tricks on Harmony, taking carrots from the little boy from the neighboring farm.. I miss him..

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Oh my freaking god decided to try watching Euros with Macedonian commentary, and she freaking mistook the coach with Ryabova as Plushenko because he's named as one of the coaches. That's it. I'm outta there.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
And she just pronounced Gleichenhaus' (probably botched the spelling) name as if he were Georgian like "Gvitelashvili". [emoji24][emoji24]