Random Confessions | Page 87 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I just spent 3 hours making a gluten free cinnamon roll recipe for a friend (I am not gluten free but she is). I am irrationally proud of how well they turned out. I need to bake more, it's so relaxing.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I went to see Jay Leno perform live last night, and my whole abdomen area and muscles still hurt from laughing. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but he was hilarious (for me). It felt SO good to laugh like that. And the Paramount Theatre in Aurora is a beautiful, old-fashioned jewel.

Great! We'll get to see him in Philly in late May. :biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I went to see Jay Leno perform live last night, and my whole abdomen area and muscles still hurt from laughing. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but he was hilarious (for me). It felt SO good to laugh like that. And the Paramount Theatre in Aurora is a beautiful, old-fashioned jewel.

I LOVE Leno! I'm jealous!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I LOVE Leno! I'm jealous!
He was SO amazing. We're still trying to figure out how did he do his "routine" for more than an hour and a half with (as far as we could tell) no notes or cue cards. The show was worth every penny. I highly recommend seeing him. That has been on my bucket list forever, and it seemed that I just kept missing him when he would come to town. He hasn't performed in the Chicago area in quite a while.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Thank you :eek::
Today hasn't been awful so far, but then again, we're just starting, so who knows... *shrugs*

I hope you have some form of medication/application/relief that makes it as bearable as possible. Fingers crossed! Watch some fs to take your mind of things (I hope that's possible at least.)

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I got a pretty nasty cold atm, it kicked in big time yesterday arvo and I think I've just passed it onto half of the coworkers! Right now I feel like death warmed up and thankfully today's work was cancelled due to IT issues. Least I can get this over and done with before flu season kicks in I guess...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I got a pretty nasty cold atm, it kicked in big time yesterday arvo and I think I've just passed it onto half of the coworkers! Right now I feel like death warmed up and thankfully today's work was cancelled due to IT issues. Least I can get this over and done with before flu season kicks in I guess...

I got hit with one of these last week. When I went to the doctor she promptly wrote me off work for a week (it's now a week and a half) precisely so I didn't spread it around.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
That peace of mind signing a new lease to your place and they don't up the rent :yahoo:

Moving home, especially when required, is without a doubt one of the most stressful things we go through in life!!!

1- finding the right place in a good favourable location, well maintained and reasonable price, while having to beat out several others wanting the place too.

2- needing the money to pay for everything such as bond and removal costs right up.

3- changing your address to at least a dozen different places as soon as you secured a new place so you won't miss any important mail.

4- the moving day itself! In Australia, it's a tradition that it's either in the middle of a shocking heatwave or torrential rain!!! and those ppl with utes suddenly disappear and go into hiding! :drama:

5- dreaded bond clean and trying to get the place immaculate as possible as every real estate has their own definition of what's 'wear and tear'

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
4- the moving day itself! In Australia, it's a tradition that it's either in the middle of a shocking heatwave or torrential rain!!! and those ppl with utes suddenly disappear and go into hiding! :drama:

Ah yes! I moved the day after Boxing Day the last time I moved, and it was 37C. Up thirteen steps to get into my new place. :rofl: I had gone around the day before and filled up every glass and mug I owned with water and put them in the fridge in preparation.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Last time I moved there was heavy rain all day and having to wrap big electrical items in tarps and old shower curtains and still some stuff got wet! :curse:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Normally when we are having our dinner, “Bargain Hunt” would be on the TV. And any time that they are having the auction in Lichfield, I would think about one of my local former skaters, Katie Scarbrough (née Allan). For the simple reason that Lichfield is where she set up home when she moved to England.

But over the past few months, there have been additional little things that have happened that have made me think about her at other times.

It all started in January when Katie’s closest friend (who is also a former competitive skater) posted one of those videos that mark the anniversary of becoming connected on Facebook. They had been friends on Facebook for a decade, but an awful lot longer than that in real life!

Then, a few weeks later, I saw a leaflet about bowel cancer. Which is what Katie had.

A few days into March, it was Katie’s birthday. And, naturally, there were a lot of posts popping up on my Facebook News Feed about it.

During the World Championships, I mentioned that my Dad was away on a trip in England. Well, after visiting the place they were going to, the bus stopped for a while in Lichfield. Except that I didn’t realise that my Dad was going to be there, I would have asked him to visit Katie’s grave for me.

After Katie died, her colleagues at Birmingham Airport got a cuddly monkey and started sending it away on flights in her memory, and set up a Facebook page to chart his travels. After a bit of a hiatus, there have been new posts from Marvin appearing on my News Feed recently. He was in Florida the past few days, and yesterday he was on a flight to Mexico.

Today, I got the notification that it is 5 years since I became connected with Katie on Facebook. I have to be honest, one of my biggest regrets is that I didn’t pluck up the courage to send her a friend request a lot earlier. But, with everything she was going through, I didn’t want to disturb her. Until I realised that if I left it any longer, it might be too late.

In 15 days time, it will be 5 years since Katie died.

It is hard to believe that it is coming up to 5 years since Katie lost her battle with bowel cancer. I never met her, and I only talked to her on Facebook the once. But, she was a true inspiration. First as a skater for achieving so much in a career that was unfortunately cut short by injury. And then for everything she did to raise awareness of how bowel cancer can affect young people like her, and not just older people.

My thoughts go out to her family and friends in the run up to this anniversary.

I don’t want to end this on a sad note, so here are a couple of videos from happier times – the routines that earned Katie the title of 1996 British Junior Ladies Champion:

1996 British Junior Ladies Championship – Katie Allan SP
1996 British Junior Ladies Championship – Katie Allan FS

CaroLiza_fan

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
So I've had paper work to apply for grants to be able to afford a house... I've had these forms since... October?... still haven't finished filling them out. Not sure why it's so hard other than I am worried that I'm going to be denied, and that would be devastating.

iorii

On the Ice
Tonichelle, I'm wishing you all the luck! :hap10:

I have university entrance test this weekend and I'm unsure. My parents are supporting my decision to pursue different career path (or whatever my decision is), but I still feel bad. I feel selfish that instead of finding another job, I'm making him pay for tuition again, he doesn't even have much money. I graduated with a degree on graphic design, worked at a big-name advertising agency, and quit because all that time I always felt that I wanted to pursue something different--but now I feel like a terribly selfish person.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Tonichelle, I'm wishing you all the luck! :hap10:

I have university entrance test this weekend and I'm unsure. My parents are supporting my decision to pursue different career path (or whatever my decision is), but I still feel bad. I feel selfish that instead of finding another job, I'm making him pay for tuition again, he doesn't even have much money. I graduated with a degree on graphic design, worked at a big-name advertising agency, and quit because all that time I always felt that I wanted to pursue something different--but now I feel like a terribly selfish person.

You are not selfish. Follow your dreams, sometimes those dreams take us on different path. :)

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
better to have tried and failed than to not try at all is what I was brought up on. I've been in so many situations in my life that gave me heaps of self doubt but did them anyways as doors can open when you least expect it :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
better to have tried and failed than to not try at all is what I was brought up on. I've been in so many situations in my life that gave me heaps of self doubt but did them anyways as doors can open when you least expect it :)

I know, I've just been surrounded by negative people a lot in the last couple of years and they've gotten in my head... plus I've had this sort of "anxiety" about failing since I hit puberty. I am constantly in a battle with myself.

Ducky

On the Ice
I know, I've just been surrounded by negative people a lot in the last couple of years and they've gotten in my head... plus I've had this sort of "anxiety" about failing since I hit puberty. I am constantly in a battle with myself.

Oof, I feel ya. What my therapist has recommended to me is to think about what would happen if everything went right: what if I submitted an application for grad school, got in and did well, instead of my normal there's no use applying because no one is going to accept me and even if I did get in I'll probably flunk out.

What if you submitted those grants and they were approved?