Pictures from Tarasova's camp | Golden Skate

Pictures from Tarasova's camp

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Click here for some pictures from TT's camp -- including Yagudin, Chait & Sakhnovksy, Joubert, Weir, Kulikova & Novikov, and of course TT herself.

Kateri

On the Ice
That 3rd one on the top row is *adorable!!!!*

...he is going to be so gorgeous in a year or two! :love:

they are lovely, thanks for posting the link!

kat.

Nice pics, Pitchka. Thank you.

Joubert like most Eureopean skaters have a tough time going all the way down in a sitzspin. Jackson Haines would not approve :laugh:

Joe

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Usova is no longer in Tarasova's team. She is coaching her own students now, also in Simsbury.

Speaking about sit spin positions, Andrei Griazev (first pic of second row, with Katie Orsher) has a great sit spin, going all the way down.

N@d&A

Rinkside
I love Alexei´s new hair style it makes him look younger and sexy :love: :love:
Thanks 4 the pictures :love: :love:

RIskatingfan said:
Usova is no longer in Tarasova's team. She is coaching her own students now, also in Simsbury.

Speaking about sit spin positions, Andrei Griazev (first pic of second row, with Katie Orsher) has a great sit spin, going all the way down.

Oops, you are right about Griazev., RI. It is not Joubert. But it is not all the way down. The butt should almost be scraping the ice. Watch Todd Eldridge for the perfect sitzspin or even Michael Weiss. It's not really difficult to go down all the way if your limber enough, but what it does is take up a lot of energy coming up from the spin. If I see a sitzspin in the last third of a program, I am impressed.

In olden days, a skater might start off with an L Spin and then go all the way down into a sitzspin and then come up to L position again and then down with a second sitzspin. the skater was exhausted after that. I think that's why true sitzspins today are not as common. Combo jumps are exhausting enough.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
RIskatingfan said:
I didn't realize Orcher & Lucash were training with Tarasova. Could be good for them.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Oops, you are right about Griazev., RI. It is not Joubert. But it is not all the way down. The butt should almost be scraping the ice. Watch Todd Eldridge for the perfect sitzspin or even Michael Weiss. It's not really difficult to go down all the way if your limber enough, but what it does is take up a lot of energy coming up from the spin. If I see a sitzspin in the last third of a program, I am impressed.

In olden days, a skater might start off with an L Spin and then go all the way down into a sitzspin and then come up to L position again and then down with a second sitzspin. the skater was exhausted after that. I think that's why true sitzspins today are not as common. Combo jumps are exhausting enough.
I was watchign an old tape the other day and Dick Button said "Her sit spin is very low, which is not correct.". What did he mean?

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
I was watchign an old tape the other day and Dick Button said "Her sit spin is very low, which is not correct.". What did he mean?
What he might have meant is that it's not necessarily good for the knee to go beyond the point of a 90 degree angle, with calf and thigh of skating leg creating the angle. I was taught that way and an ortho told me that as well. The hips and knees should be at the same level in a sit spin, the butt should not be on the ice. Lower down looks cool, but is bad for knees.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
How can you tell at what point within the spin the picture was taken? Couldn't he still be moving down into position? For that matter, couldn't he be starting the exit?

Last edited:

KatyaFan

Rinkside
SusanBeth said:
How can you tell at what point within the spin the picture was taken? Couldn't he still be moving down into position? For that matter, couldn't he be starting the exit?

you have a good point, the thing with pics of spins, you can some times tell at what point they are at, especially if they are just starting the spin or just exiting, because of the position of arms, leggs, etc athte time the pic was taken. but for the most part you cant be for sure unless you took the pic. with sit spin pics you cant really tell, imo.

thanks for the link also! :D