2017 U.S. Nationals Novice Ladies | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Novice Ladies

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
U.S. Figure Skating Championships
Jan. 14-22, 2017

The Novice Ladies short program is at 10:50 a.m., Central Standard Time, Monday, Jan. 16 (time zones). The ladies will then compete in the free skate at 9:36 a.m., Tuesday, Jan. 17 (time zones).

2017 qualifiers (in order of qualifying score, via Unseen Skaters Online):
Pooja Kalyan, Ozark FSC, 150.96 (2017 Midwestern Sectionals Champion)Isabella Miller, Salt Lake Figure Skating, 150.62 (2017 Pacific Coast Sectionals Champion)
Alysa Liu, St. Moritz ISC, 148.33 (P2) (2016 Intermediate Champion)
Audrey Shin, SC of New York, 139.47 (2017 Eastern Sectionals Champion)
Hanna Harrell, Dallas FSC, 137.81 (M2)
Lily Sun, Peninsula SC, 132.30 (P3)
Emma Coppess, All Year FSC, 131.91 (P4)
Alyssa Rich, Dallas FSC, 131.54 (M3) (2016 Intermediate Bronze Medalist)
Ting Cui, Baltimore FSC, 130.12 (E2)
Angelina Huang,St. Peters FSA, 122.21 (M4)
Analise Gonzalez, SC of Boston, 116.91 (E3)
Ilana Sherman, SC of New York, 116.30 (E4)

International results
Audrey Shin, 1st, Golden Bear of Zagreb (127.25)
Pooja Kalyan, 2nd, Golden Bear of Zagreb (122.22)

Last edited:

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
I'm really looking forward to see how Isabella handles herself as I think she is one of the better all around skaters in this group, along with Pooja. Wish all of the competitors safe travels and hope they all skate well.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Here's my preview of the event: http://icemusings.com/blog/2017-us-nationals-novice-ladies-preview/.

I had a hard time with this one! Definitely a lot of talent all around!

You're killin' me, icemusings...INW is being its usual buggy self tonight but I managed to see Pooja's FS and some of the others....its a shame our young ladies are banished to the secondary venue even though they made the senior nats....
A venue that is not bad in and of itself..indeed...it is very nice...just heinous and/or expensive to get to...while the main arena sits empty on Monday.....
Anyone remember Spokane 2007? A few Dedicated city buses to the secondary venue? I dont blame KC...I blame USFS for not putting a required "for fee" shuttle bus in the bid package. What do they think cities who bid are going to do? Throw their hands up in the air and say, "No, we aint gonna provide a stinkin' shuttle bus for fans..we aint biddin'...." ??????

icemusings

On the Ice
The schedule is truly terrible this year. I'm not sure what's worse, the novice in the secondary venue or the junior events at 8:00am...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The schedule is truly terrible this year. I'm not sure what's worse, the novice in the secondary venue or the junior events at 8:00am...

If you hear a loud noise from the northwest, that is me exploading when I get the schedule for San Jose. Putting juniors behind hockey shields in a cold rink that is an expensive cab ride away at 7 am will be the last straw.
I am going to be my usual nice self to the USFS people. But I am going to tell them that this is becoming less and less fun the way they are putting things on. I dont expect them to care....but I hope I have INW on my cruise ship to Hawaii.
Costs to go to San Jose.
Airfare: $400-500
Tickets $1300
Hotel $1300-1500
Food/adult drinks $300-600

Cost to go to Hawaii about the same.:biggrin:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm here, watching.

Audrey Shin floated through The Mission. Would like to see her protocol--score is low.
Emma Coppess is really wand-thin --- puberty will hit her hard because she relies on fast rotation for her jumps. She's a great spinner, telegraphs her jumps a bit.
Oops--Pooja Kalyan struggling with that jump but didn't let it affect her performance. Takes the lead.
Lily Sun is lovely, but the jumps aren't there today. A fall and a stepout.
Hometown fave Angelina Huang thrills the crowd and the judges with a spirited performance, and takes the lead.

Second warmup group is on the ice.

Isabella Miller - now for something entirely different. Eh. I didn't much like it and apparently the judges didn't either--sloppily skated. Ouch--she had the highest Sectionals SP score.
Alyssa Rich clean skate, nothing exceptional.
Ilana Sherman tangoing in gorgeous red and gold costume. She is tall with long arms and legs, rather like Polina Edmunds. Stylish performance, good score.
Alysa Liu --- as tiny as Ilana is tall -- is a ball of energy and takes over the lead.
Ting Cui has a little bobble on the first jumping pass but doesn't let it affect her performance. She is very expressive and every move is in sync with the music. She scores well.
Analise Gonzales. Another tall skater in red. Oops a fall on the axel.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
RESULTS NOVICE LADIES SP

Note: Triples get 1 point bonus (even if <, !., e, ↓)

1 48.89 Alysa LIU 3z+3t<, 3f!, 2a
2 48.66 Angelina HUANG 3f+2t, 3z, 2a
3 47.63 Ting CUI 2a, 3t+3t<, 3s
4 47.47 Alyssa RICH 2a, 3z, 3t+2t
5 47.35 Pooja KALYAN 3f+2t, 3z-so, 2a
6 45.16 Iliana SHERMAN 3s+2t, 3lo, 2a
7 43.44 Emma COPPESS 3lo<+2t, 3t, 2a
8 43.26 Isabella MILLER 3t+3t<↓, 3s, 2a
9 40.12 Audrey SHIN 3z<+3t<, 3f!<, 2a<
10 39.24 Hanna HARRELL 3f-nc, 3z↓, 2a
11 37.71 Analise GONZALEZ 3ze+2t, 3f!, 2a↓
12 36.48 Lily SUN 3lo<↓, 3t-nc, 2a

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
I'm here, watching.

Audrey Shin floated through The Mission. Would like to see her protocol--score is low.
Emma Coppess is really wand-thin --- puberty will hit her hard because she relies on fast rotation for her jumps. She's a great spinner, telegraphs her jumps a bit.
Oops--Pooja Kalyan struggling with that jump but didn't let it affect her performance. Takes the lead.
Lily Sun is lovely, but the jumps aren't there today. A fall and a stepout.
Hometown fave Angelina Huang thrills the crowd and the judges with a spirited performance, and takes the lead.

Second warmup group is on the ice.

Isabella Miller - now for something entirely different. Eh. I didn't much like it and apparently the judges didn't either--sloppily skated. Ouch--she had the highest Sectionals SP score.
Alyssa Rich clean skate, nothing exceptional.
Ilana Sherman tangoing in gorgeous red and gold costume. She is tall with long arms and legs, rather like Polina Edmunds. Stylish performance, good score.
Alysa Liu --- as tiny as Ilana is tall -- is a ball of energy and takes over the lead.
Ting Cui has a little bobble on the first jumping pass but doesn't let it affect her performance. She is very expressive and every move is in sync with the music. She scores well.
Analise Gonzales. Another tall skater in red. Oops a fall on the axel.

Wonderful post and I agree wholeheartedly with many of your comments. I always enjoy watching Alysa skate but because she is so tiny and her jumps are so little but with such quick rotation, I worry that her technique is not sound and as she grows and puberty hits, she may have long-term problems. Pooja is still struggling with her jumps but an overall nice skate. Hanna seems to have advanced too soon but I put the blame solely on the coaches for the selfish decision. Alyssa always needs her competitors to make mistakes otherwise she has no chance. Isabella is very strong all around but certainly not the case today, though I look for some good things to come from her in the future. Angelina has some nice all around ability and seems to have some nice technique. I just really hate seeing these youngsters rewarded for bad technique, UR jumps as it makes no sense to me. Though over the next 3-5 years we will see just how good of a decision it was to add the bonus.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Given the number of URs, it does seem they are being more strict?