2017 4 Continents Entries | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017 4 Continents Entries

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I have to say it's a little disheartening to see that expect for Men, there are less entries than Free Program cut is... 4CC still have a way to go I guess.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
I have to say it's a little disheartening to see that expect for Men, there are less entries than Free Program cut is... 4CC still have a way to go I guess.

The problem is the TES minimuns. Before they were introduced we could see lots of skaters from MEX, NZL, PHI or TPE at 4 Continents.

Nirti

Medalist
Abzal Rakimgaliev (KAZ) was removed from the list, that's strange, he just reached the Worlds TES at Universiade!

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Sad news, Satoko Miyahara withdrew due to stress fracture of left hip joint.

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170207-00000068-dal-spo

She needs 4 weeks to be fully recovered and Rika Hongo competes in 4CC. I wish Satoko speedy recovery.
Oh no... I'm sure she will be deperately disappointed to miss 4CC and check out the Olympic ice.

I hope she recovers fully and has time to train properly for Worlds... not just for her sake, but also because it will be a lot harder for Japan to earn 3 Olympic places if she is not there and in good shape...!

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I'm sorry to read the withdrawal of Satoko. :( I hope she recovers quickly because Japan will desperately need her to do well at Worlds.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Satoko Miyahara was replaced with Rika Hongo. Miyahara would be ready for the Worlds as the article says her stress fracture will be cured in four weeks. Without her, Japan will not able to keep the three slots at the 2018 Olympics, which is devastating for either Mao Asada or Marin Honda.

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
Sad news, Satoko Miyahara withdrew due to stress fracture of left hip joint.

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170207-00000068-dal-spo

She needs 4 weeks to be fully recovered and Rika Hongo competes in 4CC. I wish Satoko speedy recovery.

That is too bad! I, too, wish Satoko a speedy recovery. My guess would be that as she has worked hard to make her jumps bigger and more fully rotated that it has been a strain on her hip. These wonderful young skaters who put so much into being their very best also put such a strain on those tender joints. Hopefully she can return for Worlds.

Tastetherainbow

Medalist
It seems like both the Kazakh men scheduled to compete, Denis Ten and Abzal Rakimgaliev, withdrew. They are not listed on the entries anymore.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Very interesting, Anyone knows the reason behind it? :confused:

My guess is that the Kazakhstan men prioritized Universiade because it was at home. For these athletes competing at home for an international competition is incredibly rare. I don't suppose it is shocking that the men are not competing again only two weeks later, though I am sad Denis won't be at 4CCs.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I doubt that, as Kazakhstani are supposed to be allowed visa-free entry to Korea. And isn't Denis ethnically Korean?

Yes, Denis is ethnically Korean. So then it's not visa problems if he is allowed visa-free to Korea.

My guess is that the Kazakhstan men prioritized Universiade because it was at home. For these athletes competing at home for an international competition is incredibly rare. I don't suppose it is shocking that the men are not competing again only two weeks later, though I am sad Denis won't be at 4CCs.

Maybe Denis wants to be healthy and stay focused on Worlds rather than go to Korea and maybe injure himself. I thought it would be good for him to gain more competition experience but maybe these two events in two weeks would have been too much. I was looking forward to cheer for him in Korea but it's better if he stays healthy and will be in top form in Helsinki. :thumbsup:

gsyzf

Medalist

Are Kazakhstan men still listed to compete at Asian Winter Games (AWG), 1 week after 4CC? If they are still scheduled to compete at AWG, then I think they withdrew in order to give themselves time to prepare for AWG. If they also withdrew from AWG, then I think they withdrew from 4CC to help them prepare for WC. Asian countries care a lot about Asian Winter Games. Their top athletes are usually not allowed to skip AWG.

-----
ETA: It's quite normal for Ten to withdraw from 4CC in order to prepare for WC. But it's rather unusual for the other lower ranked Kazakhstan man to also withdraw from 4CC. The 2nd Kazakhstan man won't place high at WC and I would think that he would like to compete at 4CC if given the opportunity because 4CC is a major skating championship after all (it's not a b-level competition). So my guess is both azakhstan men withdrew from 4CC to rest up for Asian Winter Games.

Last edited:

cl2

Final Flight
The problem is the TES minimuns. Before they were introduced we could see lots of skaters from MEX, NZL, PHI or TPE at 4 Continents.

OTOH, two Singapore ladies qualified this year! I think it's the first major Senior level competition for Singapore figure skating. Yay!

SamuraiKike

Medalist
OTOH, two Singapore ladies qualified this year! I think it's the first major Senior level competition for Singapore figure skating. Yay!

Actually, Brittany Lau represented Singapore at 4 Continents in 2011 and 2012. This was before TES minimuns were introduced. But yay for SIN getting back in the field :yahoo:

cl2

Final Flight
Actually, Brittany Lau represented Singapore at 4 Continents in 2011 and 2012. This was before TES minimuns were introduced. But yay for SIN getting back in the field :yahoo:

Wow, I didn't realize we had sent Brittany Lau to 4CC before. Thanks for bringing that to my awareness!