Vartmann & Blommaert split

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

QuadThrow

Medalist
OMG

that is a huge blow for Germany.... especially considering the team event... they would most likely qualify with S/M's results...even if S/M decided to save themselves for the pairs event... but now... if S/M decided to do such thing, is there another German pair?

There is a third class pair named Hase/Seegert. But they are not really competitive on world stage yet.

Aljona is still injured and Hase/Seegert had some problems with his knee. There could be no German pair at Euros in two week with three possible spots!

Andrea82

Medalist
Minerva Fabienne Hase / Nolan Seegert is the third German pair entered for the Euros this year.
And the next ones would be Talisa Thomalla/Robert Kunkel with a SB of only 105. They are still Junior (born in 1999/2003)

OMG

that is a huge blow for Germany.... especially considering the team event... they would most likely qualify with S/M's results...even if S/M decided to save themselves for the pairs event... but now... if S/M decided to do such thing, is there another German pair?

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is hard because things were looking good for them and then boom Aliona "I want my OGM and screw the world" comes back. lol. I wish them well but sad as I thought there was some promise. Note, nothing wrong with Aliona's desire. But ever action has a reaction or consequence to someone :)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
They of course would have reasons for the splitting, but it is another disappointing news for the new year.

sarama

Medalist
It is hard because things were looking good for them and then boom Aliona "I want my OGM and screw the world" comes back. lol. I wish them well but sad as I thought there was some promise. Note, nothing wrong with Aliona's desire. But ever action has a reaction or consequence to someone :)

I don't think Savchenko's comeback has anything to do with it! Germany has plenty of spots for Euros and Worlds to send them. And it's likely they could have gone to the Olympics too... which makes their split even more incomprehensible, but I'm sure they have their reasons

QuadThrow

Medalist
Ruben spoke out that he and Mari are very different personalities and he could not imagine to go on with her for one more year. Many things happend in the past he does not want to speak about in public.

He wants to give his best to compete at Olympics next year.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is sad but it must be pretty significant for them to split barely before Euros and world's and a year before the Olympics.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Ruben spoke out that he and Mari are very different personalities and he could not imagine to go on with her for one more year. Many things happend in the past he does not want to speak about in public.

He wants to give his best to compete at Olympics next year.

Even if Aliona and Bruno earn 3 spots for Germany at Worlds, finding a new suitable partner and competing with a new partner need more time than he thinks. Moreover, his throw technique is a lot to be desired. I've felt awful whenever to see Mari fall on their throws all the time. It was almost impossible for her to land them with such a short distance and trajectory from Ruben. He seemed to struggle with lacks of his stamina and strength. I wonder their splitting just stems from differences between their personalities.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Good luck to him finding a better partner for himself for the Olys with less than a year to do so and gel. I can't make any real judgment about how 'wise' the split was for him and her from all perspectives- it is possible that interpersonally they truly could not go on for whatever reason(s) but if I were them professionally I probably would have sucked it up for one more year if it were at all possible.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
It is a pity and the split three weeks before the Europeans was surely not wise. The personal differences between the two must have been very serious.

hanca

Record Breaker
Even if Aliona and Bruno earn 3 spots for Germany at Worlds, finding a new suitable partner and competing with a new partner need more time than he thinks. Moreover, his throw technique is a lot to be desired. I've felt awful whenever to see Mari fall on their throws all the time. It was almost impossible for her to land them with such a short distance and trajectory from Ruben. He seemed to struggle with lacks of his stamina and strength. I wonder their splitting just stems from differences between their personalities.
It can be done though. Look at both new chinese pairs. They are pretty decent in their first season together.

tulosai

Record Breaker
It can be done though. Look at both new chinese pairs. They are pretty decent in their first season together.

With all due respect to Blommaert (and Vartmann too) who I enjoyed very much, they are nowhere near the caliber of any of the 4 skaters involved in the Chinese pairs, and even if they were there is absolutely no one I know of in Germany who is available and on even their level. Of course they could find another partner from outside Germany that's all well and good, but they won't be going to next years Olys with them in that case.

hanca

Record Breaker
With all due respect to Blommaert (and Vartmann too) who I enjoyed very much, they are nowhere near the caliber of any of the 4 skaters involved in the Chinese pairs, and even if they were there is absolutely no one I know of in Germany who is available and on even their level. Of course they could find another partner from outside Germany that's all well and good, but they won't be going to next years Olys with them in that case.
I am not saying that Blommaert is as good as any of the Chinese skaters, but he may be good enough to get to Olympics. Sometimes skaters manage to have unexpectedly good results in their first season. Marchei/Hotarek, for example. Or Boikova/Kozlovskii, who have been doing pairs together less than a year. I don't expect that Blommaert with a new partner will achieve some instant greatness, but I don't think it is so far fetched that they could qualify for Olympics.