2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Pairs SP | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Pairs SP

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
reading your comments really excite me to re-watch this competition! Really proud and happy for Ashley and Tim - from their very first start this season they showed a great commitment and energy. And what a story it seems for Stellato and Bartholomay!

but this re-watching will have to be really quick as I want also re-watch ladies AND then watch live Canadian SD :drama:

labgoat

Updating WJC rewatches...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nope. You're right I think. It was Meissner, Taylor, and Kahle. Deanna was with the Sasha/Naomi/Jenny generation.

Deanna and Jenny Kirk were junior rivals in 1999-2000. One won JGPF and the other won JW

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I can't believe my eyes.

I couldn't have even dreamed that my Aussie-Canadian-Texan daughter would be leading after the SP. Like, I had toyed with putting Ash and Tim in third, but thought "no, catch yourself on. Marissa and Mervin will be ahead of them".

And absolutely delighted for Deanna and Nate sitting in 3rd. I had a feeling they might be dark horses, but I was not expecting them to be genuine challengers for the title.

After being away from competition for 16 years, and the injuries she had which led to that early retirement, this is unbelievable!

Really hope that both these partnerships can continue to cause an upset in the FS!

CaroLiza_fan

deedee1

Record Breaker
it just sounds silly of me asking a question now.... :eek:: ....but did Ashley Cain switch back to pairs??? @_@ Anyway, many congrats for winning SP. :)

Good luck to Mervin and Marissa in FS! :cheer:

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I'm so impressed with the two 'newbie' teams! Ashley and Tim have such a great look with their long lines and flexibility. It's nice to see a team with a different look on the ice. Deanna and Nate are really well-matched. They definitely look like they've been skating together much longer than they have! Deanna is so inspirational, coming back after 16 years away from the sport. She hasn't missed a beat! I hope that both teams are able to have great free skates and maintain their podium positions. :)

Art&Sport

Medalist
I don't think it was the Japanese Fed so much as the Japanese government. It seems there was no way Mervin was getting Japanese citizenship and Narumi did not want to give up her Japanese citizenship to get Canadian citizenship as dual citizenship would have been allowed for her.

Oh, thanks for pointing that out. What a shame, as Narumi never looked good with any of her other partners. Mervin does look very good with Marissa, but they just don't come together on sbs jumps, and sometimes they're inconsistent on other elements. Knowing they can't make the Olympics, I hope they will hunker down and decide to stay together, set some parameters and work things through.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Actually LeDuc is quite speedy. Ashley Cain also has really good skating skills. I haven't seen the program, so I won't comment on the PCS just yet, but just wanted to comment on my impressions of both of them live.

Right, it could just be the fact that the programs they are skating to have a measured pace, particularly the fp. Perhaps in person they are moving faster than the appear to be onscreen.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Deanna Stellato, YESSSS!!!! I was hoping this would happen. I'm so happy for her and Nathan. Her positions are still some of the best around! She has that classic refinement.

How on earth were Denney & Frazier placed 2nd? Hopefully this reverses itself after the Long Program...

^ Denny and Frazier weren't bad, though. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I liked the pairs competition better than the ladies'.