2017 U.S. Nationals Junior Pairs FS | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Junior Pairs FS

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
U.S. Nationals Figure Skating Championships
Jan. 14-22
Kansas City, Mo.

The junior pairs will skate their free skate at 11:00 a.m.., Central Standard Time, on Thursday, Jan. 19.

START ORDER

1 Kate Finster, Northern Kentucky SC/Brandon Kozlowski, Atlanta FSC 10 44.10
2 Emma Coppess, All Year FSC/Robert Hennings, Los Angeles FSC 9 46.42
3 Jillian Smart, SC of New York/Matthew Rounis, SC of New York 11 39.82
4 Hannah Klopstock, Los Angeles FSC/Daniel Arsenault, Colorado SC 12 34.47
--

5 Laiken Lockley, DuPage FSC/Keenan Prochnow, DuPage FSC 8 47.45
6 Isabella Gamez, Los Angeles FSC/Griffin Schwab, SC of New York 7 47.94
7 Vanessa Chen, Peninsula SC/Eric Hartley, Queen City FSC 5 49.22
8 Gabriella Marvaldi, SC Of Southern New Jersey/Daniel Villeneuve, SC Of Southern New Jersey 6 48.81
-- ice resurface

9 Elli Kopmar, Southwest Florida FSC/Jonah Barrett, Southwest Florida FSC 2 54.01
10 Lindsay Weinstein, DuPage FSC/Jacob Simon, Skokie Valley SC 4 52.48
11 Alexandria Yao, Peninsula SC/Austin Hale, Fort Wayne ISC 3 53.55
12 Nica Digerness, Broadmoor SC/Danny Neudecker, Seattle SC 1 54.66

ENTRIES

Name and program information/bio (if available)Sectionals scoreBest 2016-2017International score (if applicable)
Alexandria Yao, Peninsula SC/ Austin Hale, Fort Wayne ISC
SP:
FS:

Notable: 2017 Pacific Coast Sectional Champion.
2016 U.S. Nationals Junior Pairs Bronze Medalist (Hale)
142.40 (49.68/92.72)
Nica Digerness, Broadmoor SC/ Danny Neudecker, Seattle SC (BIO)
SP:Spartacus by Aram Khatchaturian
FS: Liebestraum by Franz Liszt

Notable: 2017 Midwestern Sectional Champion
140.24 (54.02/86.22)131.80
(49.36/82.44)

JGP Cup of Mordovia
Gabriella Marvaldi, SC Of Southern New Jersey/ Daniel Villeneuve, SC Of Southern New Jersey (BIO)
SP: Feeling Good by Michael Buble
Feeling Goodby Newley, Anthony & Bricusse, Leslie
FS: Les Miserables

Notable: 2017 Eastern Sectional Champion
134.48 (50.78/83.70)132.27
(46.85/85.42)
JGP Tallinn Cup 2016
Elli Kopmar, Southwest Florida FSC/ Jonah Barrett, Southwest Florida FSC
SP:
FS:

Notable: 2016 U.S. Nationals Novice Pairs Champion
128.28 (E2-49.52/78.76)
Emma Coppess, All Year FSC/ Robert Hennings, Los Angeles FSC
Notable: 2016 U.S. Nationals Novice Pewter Meadlists
SP:
FS:
126.22. (P2-45.32/80.90)
Vanessa Chen, Peninsula SC/Eric Hartley, Queen City FSC (BIO)
SP: House of Flying Daggers (soundtrack) by Shigeru Umebayash
FS: The Prayer by David Foster
125.85 (P3-48.97/76.88)124.09
(44.02/80.07)
JGP Tallinn Cup 2016
Laiken Lockley, DuPage FSC/Keenan Prochnow, DuPage FSC (Bio)

SP: A Chorus Line
FS: Les Retrouvailles
122.96 (M2-42.90/80.06)129.31
(46.46/81.23)
JGP Pokal d. Blauen Schwerter 2016
Isabella Gamez, Los Angeles FSC/Griffin Schwab, SC of New York
Notable: 2016 U.S. Nationals Novice Pairs Silver Medalists
121.04 (P4-40.28/80.76)
Kate Finster, Northern Kentucky SC/Brandon Kozlowski, Atlanta FSC
Notable: 2016 U.S. Nationals Junior Pairs
111.38 (E4- 41.40/69.98)
Jillian Smart, SC of New York/Matthew Rounis, SC of New York103.08 (E5-40.12/63.06)
Lindsay Weinstein, DuPage FSC/Jacob Simon, Skokie Valley SC (BIO)

SP: Eleonore by Maxime Rodriguez
FS: Notre Dame de Paris (soundtrack) by Richard Cocciante
Notable: 2016 U.S. Nationals Junior Pairs Silver Medalists
100.88 (M3- 41.84/59.04)133.57
(47.33/86.24)
JGP Czech Skate 2016
Hannah Klopstock, Los Angeles FSC/Daniel Arsenault, Colorado SC74.98 (25.58/49.40)

Last edited:

casualfan

On the Ice
Anyone watching? Surreal seeing Rocky Marval and Isabelle Brasseur in the K&C. I remember their competitive days. Anyway, I think their daughter Gabriella Marvaldi and her partner have nice potential for the future.

Ross74

Medalist
Anyone watching? Surreal seeing Rocky Marval and Isabelle Brasseur in the K&C. I remember their competitive days. Anyway, I think their daughter Gabriella Marvaldi and her partner have nice potential for the future.

They are a beautiful looking pair. Papa Rocky needs to work on his poker face. :)

Ross74

Medalist
LOL, he did seem a little grumpy. Probably just nerves. I really do like them.

I liked them a lot better than the pair that skated before them who had multiple falls. Guess I don't understand the scoring system. As an aside, I first saw Rocky skate when he was about 10 in a outdoor competition in College Park, MD. He was surrounded by quite an entourage all wearing furs. I never forgot that. :laugh:

ETA: I really liked the DuPage pair who I think are still in first. Good potential.

Last edited:

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He totally does!

Um, did they just do a belly-down death spiral? I've never seen that before... is that a thing?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Eli and Jonah need to get to JGP stat. That is an impressive score!

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pretty sure that won't beat Elli and Jonah, with falls on both throws...

Edit: um... they win the FS by over 5 points? Clearly I missed something!

Last edited:

Tastetherainbow

Medalist
Clearly, I need to see the protocols, so I'll reserve judgement about the extra five points until later. BUT, what I can tell is that U.S. Nationals judging needs to be strongly disregarded, because I don't see how two falls by an American pair will garner 90+ on the international scene unless your name is Chelsea Liu and Brian Johnson.

Edit: From the GOEs, it seems like D/N's pair elements were stronger. While they are undoubtedly more mature in their skating, I think their PCS should be closer to 47-48 because THEY HAD TWO FALLS COME ON. Surprise and delight of the competition goes to Kopmar/Barrett! Novice champions last year, runner-up in juniors this year! Huge potential here, and hopefully they'll get two spots for the next JGP season.

Last edited:

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Um i think they landed the first throw actually.

Really? I could have sworn she went down on both but maybe I was thinking of the team before them. And Mrs. P, I didn't think they did but I guess they must have!

Edit: I was right, down on both throws. Kopmar/Barrett got slammed on PCS. The tech scores were less than a point apart.

Last edited:

skatemouse

On the Ice
Really? I could have sworn she went down on both but maybe I was thinking of the team before them. And Mrs. P, I didn't think they did but I guess they must have!

Yes much more not just lifts difficult dismounts but Sappenfield is really good at gaining points on all pair elements. Also they had a lot of speed flow and she has really nice lines, style good expression and they are mature! Internationally they will do really well do to their mature look. Lots of points on the death spiral and the twist was awesome! Lots of level 4's and don't underestimate a good spin, death spiral and all pair elements. I think Internationally they will be good lots of good style .
Other team is good too but they are pretty bouncy and less mature. She has shoulders really high needs to lengthen her neck stretch and he needs to as well. They are really good but look more like a Novice or Junior team is all. More time to mature they need higher levels and just more time to get that stretch and expression they have all the tech elements but the death spiral and chore seq and the spins are just as important as the throws and other things. Both strong teams though!!!:) Good for Junior pairs! Both great teams!

Last edited: