2017 Canadian Nats - Junior Pairs FS | Golden Skate

2017 Canadian Nats - Junior Pairs FS

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Wednesday, January 18, 2017, 15:20 (UTC -5)

Junior Pairs Free Skate
Time in other places
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldcl...66&p7=37&p8=235&p9=248&p10=33&p11=240&p12=224

Ottawa, Ontario at The Arena at TD Place

Start Order Name Section

1 Jamie Knoblauch / Cody Wong WO
2 Tessa Jones / Matthew den Boer BC/YK
3 Olivia Boys-Eddy / Mackenzie Boys-Eddy CO
4 Lori-Ann Matte / Thierry Ferland QC
5 Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud EO

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Results of SP[FONT=&quot]
[SIZE=+2]Junior Pair[/SIZE]

RankScoreNameSegment1
156.22Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud - EO56.22 (1)
254.48Lori-Ann Matte / Thierry Ferland - QC54.48 (2)
347.89Olivia Boys-Eddy / Mackenzie Boys-Eddy - CO47.89 (3)
445.15Tessa Jones / Matthew den Boer - BC/YK45.15 (4)
545.07Jamie Knoblauch / Cody Wong - WO45.07 (5)
WD Hannah Dawson / Christian Reekie - EO
WD Justine Brasseur / Mathieu Ostiguy - QC
[/FONT]

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Aborted twist. Oh and now they're using a different camera angle for us to actually see stuff on ice level. Neat. Knoblauch/Wong have nice lifts and death spirals.

TGee

Record Breaker
Aborted twist. Oh and now they're using a different camera angle for us to actually see stuff on ice level. Neat. Knoblauch/Wong have nice lifts and death spirals.

5ALi4 from the tech callers on that lift....

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Tessa Jones not having a good time with SBS jumps.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
In the warm up Matte takes a hard fall from a throw. Poor girl. She's up quick but those kind of falls have to hurt.

And now we have your podium pairs.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Problems here and there for the Boys-Eddy siblings. I think Olivia missed catching her blade on a lift. Mackenzie can lift Olivia like she's nothing. Hung onto the throw 3S. Sky high twist. I think they can do better, but will be happy to see them on the podium today.

TGee

Record Breaker
Boys-Eddy sibs with challenges on the jumps today, and a slight bobble on the landing of the 3Tw3, but wonderful lifts. FS 73.64 total 123.53 and at least a bronze. I'm thinking she is the only other pairs girl doing Lubov Ilyushechkina's "dolphin" position in the group 3 lift at the end.

TGee

Record Breaker
In the warm up Matte takes a hard fall from a throw. Poor girl. She's up quick but those kind of falls have to hurt.

And now a misfired lift in the FS....:(

But came back with the ThLz3 and level 4 in their other lift and spins.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Great performance by Matte/Ferland! One of their lifts came down early but they redeemed themselves with a great three jump combo. Who on here was telling me 3 jump combos are not allowed for junior pairs nationally? Matte saved the throw 3S very nicely. And the throw triple Lutz! I think Ferland needs to do a slightly better job of throwing Matte because she's having to save those throws. They've earned their spot to Junior Worlds. Well done!

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Only one misstep in the entire performance - the throw 3T. That was smooth. For a partnership that's not even 6 months old they skated better than many who've been together longer.

I think when Trennt ages out they'll go senior together.

TGee

Record Breaker
Great performance by Walsh/Michaud. Had the audience on their feet at the end. FS 99.51 total 155.73

Ted commented on how their international experience has helped them develop and mature.

Regarding berths for Junior Worlds, Ted commented that it looks like they possibly have a spot, but that decisions still need to be made. So it sounds as though the teams out with injuries will be given consideration.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Great performance by Walsh/Michaud. Had the audience on their feet at the end. FS 99.51 total 155.73

Ted commented on how their international experience has helped them develop and mature.

Regarding berths for Junior Worlds, Ted commented that it looks like they possible have a spot, but that decisions still need to be made. So it sounds as though the teams out with injuries will be given consideration.

The international experience certainly helped - but I think it added an urgency to their preparation. Because they had back to back assignments...it was crazy, but they did better at their second event.

I think Ted was being diplomatic. :) It's Matte/Ferland whose spot will be in question. But I don't think Brasseur/Ostiguy will go, unless they show sudden improvement. Even the Boys-Eddy siblings beat B/O at Challenge - and the B-E siblings are a team that has no international experience due to age restrictions. B/O have also not been doing well on the JGP. Matte/Ferland have had great performances at Challenge and Nationals, as well as JGP Saransk. But who knows for sure. :shrug:

One thing I noted was that Walsh/Michaud elected to go for double twist. They did this at Challenge too - try the triple twist in the SP and then do a double twist in the FS. I wonder which one they'll settle on for international competitions. They also need a wee bit of help on their death spirals. Twists and death spirals have been the two things they've need to work on since the JGP. Both look better.

During the junior women's SP Debbi Wilkes mentioned that Evelyn Walsh is a determined skater. She doesn't seem to have been taught to be that way - she just is. Today she did well in her SP as a junior lady, and now she's done exceedingly well with Trennt in the FS. Well done. :thumbsup:

TGee

Record Breaker
... the B-E siblings are a team that has no international experience due to age restrictions. B/O have also not been doing well on the JGP. Matte/Ferland have had great performances at Challenge and Nationals, as well as JGP Saransk. But who knows for sure. :shrug:

During the junior women's SP Debbi Wilkes mentioned that Evelyn Walsh is a determined skater. She doesn't seem to have been taught to be that way - she just is. Today she did well in her SP as a junior lady, and now she's done exceedingly well with Trennt in the FS. Well done. :thumbsup:

Would love to see the B-E siblings do as much of their programs as they can at an ISU advanced novice competition his spring.... Would MacKenzie be too old? Not sure what the upper age limit is for advanced novice pairs and dance. Not easily found on the ISU site....

Yes, Evelyn is a very gritty pairs girl. There were a couple of moments when I thought she looked like she was struggling for the energy, but then she determinedly locked into the performance, and it was as if it didn't happen. Really impressed....And look forward to a solid performance from them at Junior Worlds, at this point in their relationship another month is a lot of time to improve.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
boo.. i missed it all... still working...

will watch videos... read your comments though ;)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
TGee the upper limit is 17 for boys, 15 for girls. Have we ever sent a novice pair out to skate at a spring event? I think they'll just have to wait for next season and hope for a JGP assignment.

TGee

Record Breaker
TGee the upper limit is 17 for boys, 15 for girls. Have we ever sent a novice pair out to skate at a spring event? I think they'll just have to wait for next season and hope for a JGP assignment.

Well, Ted said that MacKenzie is 4 years older than Olivia, so it might be possible this season for them to go to Europe if Skate Ontario sends a group again this year.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland

Regarding berths for Junior Worlds, Ted commented that it looks like they possibly have a spot, but that decisions still need to be made. So it sounds as though the teams out with injuries will be given consideration.

There was Ted comentating? :luv17: I'll have to watch this! Well, I would anyway, but that's another reason to do so :)