"Masculine" substitute for Kiss n' Cry Tote | Golden Skate

"Masculine" substitute for Kiss n' Cry Tote

SmallAminal

On the Ice
My son is getting to the point where he needs something to organize all his stuff (music, water bottle, tissues, extra gloves, guards, etc.) in one place where he can reach them at the boards. The Kiss n' Cry totes look great for girls, but there is no way my little guy will use those. I basically want a non-girly version of the same thing - I've tried the organization stores, Wal-Mart, etc. but haven't found anything that would be a good stand in. Does anyone have a good suggestion for something they've used? Bonus points if I can shove it in his Zuca bag (like fold it down).

Thanks

TGee

Record Breaker
Our young men at the rink put a bottle of water, cd and their guards on the boards.

This would be masculine but doesn't fold: http://www.scatterjoyarts.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/toolbox_2.jpg Teasing aside, my daughter does have a fabric toolbox that would work well - something that looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Ba..._n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin:5995502011

An added bonus - it zips closed at the top.

The CDs are virtually gone now....coaches load the pattern dances and finalized mp3s into the club iPad and skaters select theirs when it's their turn.

A few of the girls have the totes, but it's mainly just water bottles and guards sitting on the far side boards at the penalty boxes.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Maybe he should look at ways to de-clutter what he brings on the ice? I mean why on earth does he need spare gloves sitting right on the boards?

loopy

Final Flight
The CDs are virtually gone now....coaches load the pattern dances and finalized mp3s into the club iPad and skaters select theirs when it's their turn.

A few of the girls have the totes, but it's mainly just water bottles and guards sitting on the far side boards at the penalty boxes.

Not at our rinks (multiple places). Some have a music loaded program but before a competition you can only use cds. The rest you use a cd or unplug the player and use your phone. A cd is faster, you can put it in the line.

concorde

Medalist
This year it was about 50 /50 for my daughter's competition on whether they wanted a CD or the music uploaded beforehand.

She skates at 2 rinks. For one she uses her phone and for the other she needs a CD.

skatemomoftwo

Rinkside
This year it was about 50 /50 for my daughter's competition on whether they wanted a CD or the music uploaded beforehand.

She skates at 2 rinks. For one she uses her phone and for the other she needs a CD.

Our regionals, sectionals and nationals are all uploaded and most large comps are as well.Even a local comp last year ran uploaded music. Cd just for backup.

That said I have never seen any boys use anything but the boards. They really only need water bottle guards and copies of music if the rink works that way.

jf12

Final Flight
I've seen people use a small tote or gym bag to bring their things into the ice, take out the water bottle and put it on the boards, and put the bag on the bench in the hockey box.

SmallAminal

On the Ice

Unfortunately, our club is still using CD's...guess we are in the dark ages. My little guy also has a need for tissues....like me his nose runs anytime it is cold.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Maybe he should look at ways to de-clutter what he brings on the ice? I mean why on earth does he need spare gloves sitting right on the boards?

I should clarify that my son is 6 and our rink is COLD AS F*** in the winter. When he is on for 1.5 or 2 hours at a time and his gloves get wet, he sometimes needs a quick change,before he gets really cold. Also, his coach sometimes wants him to wear mittens over the gloves for the first part of the lesson, until he warms up, because he is so small and skinny that he gets cold and then it impacts his ability to focus on skating.

Also, he carries an epi-pen, which he wears all day on a belt, but doesn't wear skating for obvious reasons, but the epi-pen should be as close as possible to him. He was in the hospital twice for severe anaphylactic reactions, so we are very strict with keeping the epi-pen close and have trained his coach on how to use it.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Thanks for the suggestions.

I know that a lot of boys (and girls) don't bring a whole lot of stuff on the ice - sometimes just a water bottle and guards, but he does have a need to bring certain things out with him, and he is 6 so he tends to lose track of things unless they are all contained in one place. I can't tell you how many mittens, gloves, CDs, etc. we've lost at the rink because my son is somewhat forgetful.

While I was originally thinking that something "foldable" would be preferable (to shove in the Zuca), I'm thinking that's not practical for him as I want something sturdy and "open" for easy access to his stuff. I did like loopy's idea of the open toolbox, and I think that might appeal to him since he loves tools.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States

TGee

Record Breaker
Not at our rinks (multiple places). Some have a music loaded program but before a competition you can only use cds. The rest you use a cd or unplug the player and use your phone. A cd is faster, you can put it in the line.

While I personally think it is unfortunate as mp3s do not have the same audio quality, my understanding is that the ISU is moving to that standard...so it's normalized it.

That said, the competition standard remains CDs. But those get handed in at registration and never go in a tote.

TGee

Record Breaker
I should clarify that my son is 6 and our rink is COLD AS F*** in the winter. When he is on for 1.5 or 2 hours at a time and his gloves get wet, he sometimes needs a quick change,before he gets really cold. Also, his coach sometimes wants him to wear mittens over the gloves for the first part of the lesson, until he warms up, because he is so small and skinny that he gets cold and then it impacts his ability to focus on skating.

Also, he carries an epi-pen, which he wears all day on a belt, but doesn't wear skating for obvious reasons, but the epi-pen should be as close as possible to him. He was in the hospital twice for severe anaphylactic reactions, so we are very strict with keeping the epi-pen close and have trained his coach on how to use it.

Got it....don't know why I assumed you were in the warm US....other than the previous KnC tote threads were from there.

Everytime I think our club is cold, I am reminded that some have no heat....which is very Canadian but not all that rational when it's minus 30 outside. But clubs get ice where they can.....know kids in some clubs nearby who put those chemical hand warmer packets in their gloves/mitts. Mine usually wear two sets of gloves on top of one another....and while they look like the ones from the skate shops they are finer knit and warmer.

Gloves....tissues...I take it yours isn't the kind of club where mums hand them down. Took a good deal of work for me to get my two to take their water bottles with them. But some coaches and clubs don't want the kids through the gate at all once sessions start....So see you need something to help him keep it together.

Your child seems to be on the ice for quite long sessions for his age...mine are also thin and a bit older, but have to come off the ice briefly to warm up if they are on the ice for more than 60 minutes at this time of year, so understand the problem....Has he passed his preliminary/STAR 3 tests yet? If not, you may wish to look at Skate Canada's Long Term Development Model guidance in terms of length of sessions, number of sessions per day, and skating days per week. In any event, he might do better with skating more days per week but shorter sessions....

Lastly, have you considered having his coaches carry the epi-pen? If your club is that cold, the pen will be in too cold an environment and might not work. I have heard of coaches keeping skaters puffers in their jacket pockets for this reason. Alternately, I've seen the puffer case go on the music cart....the electronics keep that warmer...

Last edited:

skatemomoftwo

Rinkside
Got it....don't know why I assumed you were in the warm US....other than the previous KnC tote threads were from there.

Everytime I think our club is cold, I am reminded that some have no heat....which is very Canadian but not all that rational when it's minus 30 outside. But clubs get ice where they can.....know kids in some clubs nearby who put those chemical hand warmer packets in their gloves/mitts. Mine usually wear two sets of gloves on top of one another....and while they look like the ones from the skate shops they are finer knit and warmer.

Gloves....tissues...I take it yours isn't the kind of club where mums hand them down. Took a good deal of work for me to get my two to take their water bottles with them. But some coaches and clubs don't want the kids through the gate at all once sessions start....So see you need something to help him keep it together.

Your child seems to be on the ice for quite long sessions for his age...mine are also thin and a bit older, but have to come off the ice briefly to warm up if they are on the ice for more than 60 minutes at this time of year, so understand the problem....Has he passed his preliminary/STAR 3 tests yet? If not, you may wish to look at Skate Canada's Long Term Development Model guidance in terms of length of sessions, number of sessions per day, and skating days per week. In any event, he might do better with skating more days per week but shorter sessions....

Lastly, have you considered having his coaches carry the epi-pen? If your club is that cold, the pen will be in too cold an environment and might not work. I have heard of coaches keeping skaters puffers in their jacket pockets for this reason. Alternately, I've seen the puffer case go on the music cart....the electronics keep that warmer...

I agree with you. If the gloves are really an issue have him come off the ice for a minute.My son started at age 3 and really only has ever used the boards to put his stuff. We live in Alaska and have cold rinks as well.It was 55 below here last week without wind chill so...

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I totally misread the title.

I thought we were going to be discussing a more masculine approach to the Kiss and Cry in general. Which I am in favor of.

First off, I think the Kiss and Cry for men's competitions should be sponsored by something manly, like shaving cream or beer or condoms.

Puffs tissues to wipe your tears just doesn't cut it.

In fact, I propose tossing "Kiss and Cry" and rebranding it as something else, but I haven't decided what.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
.Has he passed his preliminary/STAR 3 tests yet? If not, you may wish to look at Skate Canada's Long Term Development Model guidance in terms of length of sessions, number of sessions per day, and skating days per week. In any event, he might do better with skating more days per week but shorter sessions....

He is only STAR2 - he skates 1.5 hour sessions mostly due to scheduling issues (and enthusiasm - he complains 1 hour is "too short"). Sometimes on Sundays his coach will keep him on the ice for up to 2 hours, so long as he shows "interest" in staying on, since the session is much better towards the end and he has clearer ice.

Scheduling is a big problem for us - we have really 3 days a week to skate because of other stuff like tennis. His coach was sort of insinuating that he's not on the ice "enough" (he does 4-5 hours/week), but I am reluctant to do that because we'd have to cut into sleeping time. Good point about the epi-pen - I should make sure we are not below the storage temperature requirements. I hadn't even thought of that but yeah, it would not be good if it didn't work.

Last edited:

RoaringMice

On the Ice
I agree - at his age, do NOT steal from his sleep time. If that means he does less skating and less tennis, then he does less. He's only a little one, and he needs his sleep.

Coaches are going to push to get him on the ice more often. But you do what's right for him and for you, as his family. If tennis is his/your priority, then he only has so much time for skating, and that's it.

For my daughter, studies and music are our priorities for her. She only gets to skate twice a week. Could she have advanced further in skating if she skated more often? Most likely yes, but she's good at skating, but she's AMAZING at saxophone, and her academics also take priority. And that's just how it is.