2017 Four Continents Men SP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Men SP

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Just to give on example, Patrick never used to compete before the Grand Prix season.. he would do Japan open or just stay home... He said this year he wanted to get out earlier (Finlandia) to get his programs out earlier and have more competition experience. I think that's just one example that confirms that we may see more and more of the top athletes attend 4CC.

2016 Findlandia was for 2017 Worlds as 2017 4CC is for 2018 Olympics for trying out the facilities and local conditions. Canada actually sent its A Team to this Challenger event.

Some top skaters skip 4CC because of the travel involved which may adversely affect their preparation for Worlds. Unlike the Euros which is very easy for the European skaters to attend, many skaters have to cross the Pacific Ocean and up to 12 time zones to get to 4CC. Depending on the location, either more Asians or more North Americans will represent at this event.

Last edited:

sherlock trollmes

On the Ice
Nathan just did an interview with IceNetwork and talked about how he didn't think that Four Continents were as much of a focus for him as Worlds (and I don't think anyone does) but he feels like it's important for him to go to not only get another chance to compete against so many of the top skaters but also to get a feel of what it's like to be in South Korea and travel there, how to best become adjusted to the time changes, etc. So I definitely think it being in the same arena has a lot of pull with so many of these skaters, even though there's definitely no guarantee that skating there once will make for a good Olympics for any of these guys. I have to say, I am surprised that Jason is still listed to go... I was figuring he'd pull out to make sure he was healthy for Worlds but I see he's still listed. It's a great field though, I'm looking forward to seeing how they stack up against each other.

Last edited:

Chantilly

On the Ice
IMO outside of Javi this is basically a mini Worlds competition in terms of real contenders for the podium.
It would be a missed opportunity to opt out.
I get that it's close to Worlds etc, but not one man has dominated this season because of the rise in technical components.
To me , this is a last opportunity to get your ducks in a row and develop your confidence going into Worlds.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I wonder if Javi feels cheated of the Olympic arena testing opportunity. :think:

I think Javi is used to all kinds of ice and ice rinks... He even managed to skate his best freeskate performance on the horrible ice of Boston.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
WE MADE IT TO PAGE 5

and still two weeks to go :D

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
2016 Findlandia was for 2017 Worlds as 2017 4CC is for 2018 Olympics for trying out the facilities and local conditions. Canada actually sent its A Team to this Challenger event.

Some top skaters skip 4CC because of the travel involved which may adversely affect their preparation for Worlds. Unlike the Euros which is very easy for the European skaters to attend, many skaters have to cross the Pacific Ocean and up to 12 time zones to get to 4CC. Depending on the location, either more Asians or more North Americans will represent at this event.

Not necessarilly true. Many, many European skaters train in US or Canada. Including top ones (Javier Fernandez, P/C, James/Cipres, Alexei Bychenko, Tobias/Tkachenko etc.). So maybe most have it easy. But some World contenders do not and still attend. I find it interesting that US and Canadian Ice Dance teams are not resigning from competing at 4C unless they're injured, unlike single skaters. And the hardships are all the same.

And there won't be really competing more Asian or North Americans depending on location. At 4CC, where all Feds have 3 spots, usually use them all, as long as its skaters have TES minimums. (at least it apper so in last years) US may send not always their top skaters, but use all spots, so there won't be more NA skaters when 4CC will be held in NA (you can't send more than 3). Number of entries has really nothing to do with location. Since no Fed need to took notice of spots (unlike at Europeans, when you have to earn spots), there isn't even politicking to earn more spots next year etc. (which is sometimes present Euros, French Fed like to limit number of their Entries even if they do have 3 spots)

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I get that it's close to Worlds etc, but not one man has dominated this season because of the rise in technical components.

I think that's the good point, because it's not that close and it allows for many the continuity of competition. I'm pretty certain Yuzuru would have come this season, Olympic event or not because that precisely was mentioned way back, when talk of his attending showed up. And it makes sense to not have a huge gap between most Nats and the Worlds. Of course, there are always skaters like Ashley who prefer to skip and prepare but there is also a genuine advantage of getting into the right mindset now and then if all goes well, riding that wave. Or knowing what to fix, alternatively.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course, 2017 4CC is also known as NE Olympics in the men's competition and NENAW Olympic in the ladies competition..

NE = Non-European

See if any fan can deduce what NENAW is.

Maybe it stands for No-European-Non-Ashley-Wagner?

I can't think of another possibility.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
2016 Findlandia was for 2017 Worlds as 2017 4CC is for 2018 Olympics for trying out the facilities and local conditions.
Tiny differences, though. Finlandia was in Espoo in the Metro Arena, and Worlds is going to be in the Hartwall Arena in Helsinki.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Not necessarilly true. Many, many European skaters train in US or Canada. Including top ones (Javier Fernandez, P/C, James/Cipres, Alexei Bychenko, Tobias/Tkachenko etc.). So maybe most have it easy. But some World contenders do not and still attend. I find it interesting that US and Canadian Ice Dance teams are not resigning from competing at 4C unless they're injured, unlike single skaters. And the hardships are all the same.

And there won't be really competing more Asian or North Americans depending on location. At 4CC, where all Feds have 3 spots, usually use them all, as long as its skaters have TES minimums. (at least it apper so in last years) US may send not always their top skaters, but use all spots, so there won't be more NA skaters when 4CC will be held in NA (you can't send more than 3). Number of entries has really nothing to do with location. Since no Fed need to took notice of spots (unlike at Europeans, when you have to earn spots), there isn't even politicking to earn more spots next year etc. (which is sometimes present Euros, French Fed like to limit number of their Entries even if they do have 3 spots)

You're right. My point about travels may not apply so much to some of the top competitors and my point about number of competitors in relation to 4CC location applies more to the top skaters who are going to Worlds.

Rissa

Record Breaker
I wonder if Javi feels cheated of the Olympic arena testing opportunity. :think:

I don't think so... Having all other big guns over there in Korea trying to knock one another one out while he skates at Europeans with no real competition and gets his fifth European Champion title with his eyes closed and hands tied behind his back should be worth it. :biggrin:

IMO outside of Javi this is basically a mini Worlds competition in terms of real contenders for the podium.
It would be a missed opportunity to opt out.

In Men's, it already feels like mini Olympics, not just Worlds... The only missing Olympic podium contender is Javi. If I were anywhere near Korea I'd be shelling out the money for the best seats for sure.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't think so... Having all other big guns over there in Korea trying to knock one another one out while he skates at Europeans with no real competition and gets his fifth European Champion title with his eyes closed and hands tied behind his back should be worth it. :biggrin:

WOW... way to belittle the achievements of a skater... Javi still had to skate... still had to rack up enough points to win it... Sure there were no Yuzu, nor Superboy'ang nor Nathan.... but there were a bunch of other guys like the Russians, one of them was 4th in the world last year...

Anyways. I'd choose my words differently if you simply meant to say that Javi is probably happy that he had the opportunity to skate in a confidence booster event instead of in what appears to be a bloodbath...

I hope that all this hype about the men's event won't turn it into a splat fest like Worlds FP last year

Eclair

Medalist
Superboy' ang, lol :laugh2: the nicknames keep coming :rofl2:

I'm super excited for 4cc! Hopefully Eurosport will broadcast it! I'm looking forward seeing:

- Hanyu slaying it, since he skates best when he feels his rivals are at his heels
- SpiderBoyang getting lots of love for his shimmy shoulders
- Seeing Nathan and Boyang at the same competition and comparing their PCs
- Misha!! and Jason bringing the lines and spins!

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Superboy' ang, lol :laugh2: the nicknames keep coming :rofl2:

I'm super excited for 4cc! Hopefully Eurosport will broadcast it! I'm looking forward seeing:

- Hanyu slaying it, since he skates best when he feels his rivals are at his heels
- SpiderBoyang getting lots of love for his shimmy shoulders
- Seeing Nathan and Boyang at the same competition and comparing their PCs
- Misha!! and Jason bringing the lines and spins!

it's looking like no 4cc on eurosport

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
it's looking like no 4cc on eurosport

But there's a free livestream at http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/isu/
Just like last year, yay!! :yahoo: yahoo:

Coming soon
Live starts in 12 days 11 h 54 mn 42 s
2016/2017 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2017 - Gangneung
Live coverage from Gangneung, Republic of Korea, starting on the 16th February 2017. Geo-blocked in various territories.

I'm willing to bet that like last year it will not be blocked in Europe, because Eurosport isn't showing it (they weren't last year, either, except for maybe some recaps, IIRC).

Of course, that doesn't really help with the timezones. You have to be willing to be awake in the dead of night to see a lot of it. :disagree:

Last edited: