2017 Four Continents Short Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Short Dance

azcalder

Rinkside
The official website has photos of the skaters - note the ice dancers are Coomes & Buckland and Cappallini & Lanotte. Both teams are European; one is out all season with an injury.

sarama

Medalist
Last season, seven dance teams had straight level fours in the FD at Worlds: Papadakis & Cizeron, Maia & Alex Shibutani, Chock & Bates, Cappellini & Lanotte, Hubbell & Donahue, Coomes & Buckland, and Guignard & Fabbri.

In Boston the tech panel was probably high during the FD:slink:

GF2445

Record Breaker
I am of the personal opinion that the judging at 4CC and Euros should be extremely strict (even cruel) and then at worlds, go all out because high scores for amazing performances gets the audience excited.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Interested to see which, if any, short dances go over 80 points.

Level 4s, deductions, and errors are going to be the make or break (as always).

Also, PCS reduction for past errors & perceived national ranking. Been following that this season with Weaver/Poje and Cappellini/Lanotte. I feel these things should not be a part of ice dance judging but I guess you can't change judges' minds so easily.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I'm going to say V/M then S/S and then C/B. I would love for W/P, G/P or H/D to get in there for a medal but I'm going with the safest bet because that's how ID usually goes and I'm lazy.

If I were to rank them in the SD by personal preference (not quality of skating, just what I like personally) I would say:
1. G/P (It's just so fun and different and spunky)
2. V/M (I think my favourite FS related music thing this year is the cut from five women into Purple Rain. It's almost seemless to ear and makes me squee with happiness)
3 S/S (and this is because everytime I hear that line about one song and one song only I kind of want to cheer a little bit)
4. W/P (I love them and I think this shows promise but they have to get those twizzles)
5. C/B (I like the uptown funk part but not the bad to the bone part)
6. H/D (I just can't with the music edits in the hiphop section. I give them some marks for not using the Michel Buble version of Feeling Good)

For the FD:
1. G/P (I love tangos so they start with a leg up here and I just really enjoy this dance)
2. V/M (I prefer my V/M more in the carmen, hip-hip-chin-chin mode but this is starting to grow on me as a piece)
3. H/D (I really do like the music they chose and it seems quite emotional and tender)
4. W/P (growing on me and I like that it is dark and moody)
5. S/S (I don't get this FD. I know a lot of you like it and I'm trying but.. on the other hand it's always well skated.)
6. C/B (this has not grown on me, unfortunately)

I feel badly about the C/B downgrade but I don't like their material this year.

I'm really really hoping I'll be able to watch some of the SD. I know I'll miss a lot of 4CC because of a death in the family and funeral, visitation commitments.

:ghug:!!! And please say hi and hug the Dog from me!

I mostly agree with your preferences rankings, Piper and Paul have an amazing material to present this year, showing their progress, versatility, musicality and courage to take some risks and to stand out. Tessa and Scott - definitely a dream comeback story and programs are definitely helping, especially iconic already SD, their 'golden card'. Then, I'd also have Maia and Alex - love that hip/fresh mash-up for SD, definitely right up their alley, whole dance scream stylish and sophisticated for me, and I really appreciate effort and thought put in that FD, despite all this critics and voices about copying stuff (LOLz on that...).

Hubbell/Donohue for me missed mark a bit this season - both programs are too busy for me, then Chock/Bates went all over risky choices and bold choreography/music, which is a hit/miss for them, looking at the results, but when they're on, they're ON big time. And WeaPo...I have mixed feelings this season and honestly have no friggin' clue where to place them - I just hope they'll go clean and produce FD performance as mesmerizing as at Nationals. For me, there could be surprises, because I think that Shibutanis, Chock/Bates and WeaPo IF receiving same tech levels/similar GOEs could place 2-4 in any order, PCS and starting order could be decisive factor. And I would LOVE to see an opportunity seized by Disco Reggie and Disco Diane if someone will loose levels...

Generally speaking, I'm very curious about judging and PCS game...

And honestly - I'm already thinking about next season SD Latin style :drama: (yesterday re-watched 2006 Worlds OD and surprisingly it was quite fun, more surprisingly - I enjoyed Domnina/Shabalin the most, the concept of their OD was fantastic, wish Russian teams would sit and learn)

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
from seeing the 3 Canadian teams at Nationals

(mind you, Piper had the flu)..... What was the most striking : difference in speed between Piper and Paul and the weapo and V/M... Piper and Paul are a tad slower.

Virtue and Moir were really in a class of their own with how precise everything was done. Superb skating. Weapo had the wow factor for their incredible lift. They are a very tall team and they reach out. Piper and Paul are super fun, well in synch, well trained. The sparkle I expected was there but not as shiny as I thought it would be... though, again, Piper was sick.

In any case, those 3 teams are very strong and I hope they all skate well.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
DANCE TECH TEAM

Referee Christine HURTH FRA
Tech Controller Halina GORDON POLTORAK POL
Tech Spec Julia REY USA
Asst Tech Spec Shae ZUKIWSKY CAN

Oh, boy---here we go again!!!!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It just seems odd to have the TS and ATS representing two of the main contender feds. There could be LONG waits for some of the results while the TC resolves the disputes.....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i still don't care who are the on the panels.. i am naive like that... but if the American and Canadian callers fights.. then the Polish Controller will take care of it... and here is what wiki says about her

Gordon-Półtorak served as the ice dancing referee at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

I wonder who won in 2010 ;)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
i still don't care who are the on the panels.. i am naive like that... but if the American and Canadian callers fights.. then the Polish Controller will take care of it... and here is what wiki says about her

Gordon-Półtorak served as the ice dancing referee at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

I wonder who won in 2010 ;)

OT but that Mahler is still my all-time favourite program :love:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
bad order for V/M....good for the USA teams

Not necessarily. Tessa & Scott skated early at GPF and it didn't hurt them one bit. I actually think the US teams might have problems, especially if Chock/Bates perform strongly. The perceived national standings in addition to a strong C/B SD might affect the PCS of Hubbell/Donohue.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Not necessarily. Tessa & Scott skated early at GPF and it didn't hurt them one bit. I actually think the US teams might have problems, especially if Chock/Bates perform strongly. The perceived national standings in addition to a strong C/B SD might affect the PCS of Hubbell/Donohue.

:) don't disappoint me :) trusting you here !

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
:) don't disappoint me :) trusting you here !

If you read interviews you'll see that Tessa & Scott are competing against themselves more than they are anyone else. They will not accept mediocrity from themselves after what happened with their 2013-2014 season. That change in attitude and approach has made start orders somewhat irrelevant.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
bad order for V/M....good for the USA teams

I am not happy either about this, but they just have to do their job as they've done all season so far, get their levels and GOEs in place and if they'll do so - we'll see if the others will skate better.

I'm more upset Piper and Paul going before Hubbell/Donohue...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
If you read interviews you'll see that Tessa & Scott are competing against themselves more than they are anyone else. They will not accept mediocrity from themselves after what happened with their 2013-2014 season. That change in attitude and approach has made start orders somewhat irrelevant.

well they were so far ahead in the SD at nationals... so i can imagine them doing the same here