2017 Four Continents Short Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Short Dance

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
If you read interviews you'll see that Tessa & Scott are competing against themselves more than they are anyone else. They will not accept mediocrity from themselves after what happened with their 2013-2014 season. That change in attitude and approach has made start orders somewhat irrelevant.

for Tessa and Scott I'd say that this program even made starting orders kind of irrelevant, as this is (at least for me) the most balanced SD program this year - between technique, presentation, interpretation, musicality, showmanship value and expression. And it has its WOW factor, because Tessa and Scott are doing it, no other way around

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
and SD starts in Poland at 3 am

a pause for :hopelessness:

Tessa and Scott with rest of the top pack go from 4.27 am

pause for debate if I should go up...

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
It's an iconic program for me. One of those you refer to if you want to say, "Hey, who did a good Prince program?" or "Hey, who did a good hip hop SD?"

The other obvious part of this is that Tessa & Scott are the undisputed top team in Canada. No musical chairs to be played here, no seeds of doubt sown.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well and their non touch step sequence... that's where they show they are the best in the world.. it's amazing

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
well and their non touch step sequence... that's where they show they are the best in the world.. it's amazing

my personal favourite of all their elements :love:, do we know if next year there will be non-touch midline step sequence or a circular one like in 2011/12 season where rhumba was a pattern? Apologies if this info is somewhere already posted and :thank: for educating me in advance!

ETA - and I am not a fan of circular non-touch step sequences...but I loved WeaPo one at 2012 Worlds, and that tigress mini dress:love:

Last edited:

maddiesparks

Rinkside
bad order for V/M....good for the USA teams

IMO, skating last is only really advantageous if you're truly one of the best couples anyway, otherwise teams skating before you that are better will only serve to highlight your weaknesses. Tessa and Scott's Prince program speaks for itself, and you could slot it anywhere (ala GPF) and it'd still break a WR.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I don't think skate orders matter that much once a team is established to be the top or one of the top teams of the world. It's not as if the judges are unfamiliar with the programs nor your abilities. It's when there's a close rivalry or if you're trying to climb from the mid-tier range where a later skate order may serve you well as the judges may not be as conservative with their scoring as they would be if you were skating much earlier in a crowded field. I think V/M are a team that has already cemented legendary status, so they're ok. The only way they'll be vulnerable is they make an error or have a shaky skate that doesn't really blow the arena away and then one or more of the later teams skate extremely well and win the crowd.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^

yes i agree with
1) they don't need the judges to back them up... it would be worse let's say for G/P to be early if they wish to gain some edge over the USA couples...

but
2) I have considered in my worried mind about the order, what you mention : if they make a mistake, so early on, and lose levels, they could easily slip down the rankings to the point that it is quite hard for them to recover... look at Chock and Bates at the GPF... BANG... mistake, almost finished dead last.

finally

3) if everyone skates well, the gap may be closer between V/M with the other teams as well....

anyways, we will find out tonight ;)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I will be able to watch live. :dance3: :thumbsup:

That is if we don't get another major snowstorm.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh shoot! I won't be able to watch it until like 30 minutes after I get home from the last women's home basketball game for regular season that I'm cheering at. Sigh....

Barb

Record Breaker
^^

yes i agree with
1) they don't need the judges to back them up... it would be worse let's say for G/P to be early if they wish to gain some edge over the USA couples...

but
2) I have considered in my worried mind about the order, what you mention : if they make a mistake, so early on, and lose levels, they could easily slip down the rankings to the point that it is quite hard for them to recover... look at Chock and Bates at the GPF... BANG... mistake, almost finished dead last.

finally

3) if everyone skates well, the gap may be closer between V/M with the other teams as well....

anyways, we will find out tonight ;)

oh, but that was not a small mistake, it was a fall.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
oh, but that was not a small mistake, it was a fall.

fair enough ;) in any case, may what happens on the ice be reflected in the scores... that's what I wish for all the time... I just get concerned when a top team/skater goes on so early though... because we know judges have a tendency to raise the PCS gradually until the last couple skaters ....

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
V/M can afford a small mistake to be able to win by just winning the FD, but possibly not a really shaky performance resulting in a major lost level on a major element with the Americans hitting their elements and skating with inspiration.

sarama

Medalist
These late morning events in Korea are terrible time-wise for us in Europe:palmf:... I really want to watch this live but I can't afford to be a zombie tomorrow (and losing a couple of hours of sleep in the middle of the night will do that for me)... I need a strategy for the Olympics:giveup:, I am open to suggestions.... For Worlds in Boston I just gave up a normal life and became jet-lagged without leaving my town, but I'm not sure I can do that for two weeks:shame:

Barb

Record Breaker
These late morning events in Korea are terrible time-wise for us in Europe:palmf:... I really want to watch this live but I can't afford to be a zombie tomorrow (and losing a couple of hours of sleep in the middle of the night will do that for me)... I need a strategy for the Olympics:giveup:, I am open to suggestions.... For Worlds in Boston I just gave up a normal life and became jet-lagged without leaving my town, but I'm not sure I can do that for two weeks:shame:

For me SD time at 4cc is perfect and since wednesday, I do not have to wait until thurdsday :yahoo:. To the olympics I suggest you ask for your vacation for that date. Or sleep at afternoon (though that never works for me).

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
okay, decision made - I'm waking up at 4 am to watch last 2 groups and will be The Thursday Dead Banana:dbana:

just wish that it will be worth the sacrifice of sleep and living on coffee tomorrow

wish me luck, just have to find the most reliable option for stream:cheer:

sarama

Medalist
To the olympics I suggest you ask for your vacation for that date. Or sleep at afternoon (though that never works for me).

Thanks for the help, but unfortunately I'm a university student with a part-time job, so taking two weeks off would be problematic, but I'm sure I'll manage to watch the Olympics somehow!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
These late morning events in Korea are terrible time-wise for us in Europe:palmf:

Oh, dear...well, the events in Europe are terrible time-wise for us in the Asia-Pacific region... ;)

I suggest coffee, chocolate, and lots of sugar.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thanks for the help, but unfortunately I'm a university student with a part-time job, so taking two weeks off would be problematic, but I'm sure I'll manage to watch the Olympics somehow!

can you imagine : vancouver 2010... i was living there...but was a student... in my last few months of my degree.... i had so much work to do.... I think I didn't sleep for two weeks as I was trying to do as much games as possible....

2014 was much easier on me.. no longer a student, and i was working from home ;) so i just switched my time to sochi ;)
2006 : a student as well... barely recall watching any of the games... with school and jetlag... ugh....

i sympathize :) but tonight, I am going to stay up as long as I can .