2017 Europeans Pairs FS | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2017 Europeans Pairs FS

seniorita

Record Breaker
J/C were the highlight for me, sp and lp :eek: And S/K, I just adore them, great to see them back.
I have become Aljona and Bruno uber fan! :luv17:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
The overall result is fair but once again same as at the Nationals T/M are way behind S/K pcs wise. And J/C are quite behind S/M. I understand the support of the French team here - they worked a lot for it. But realistically their skating is quite rough. If everyone is clean with the planned content I will rank the leading pairs here like that S/K, S/M, T/M, J/C

tulosai

Record Breaker
Actually Scimeca-knierim/Knierim have beaten both the French team and T/M and Sui/Han so they are actually in a great spot to do some damage or at least be a team that could mess them up so it could be very exciting!

Respectfully to both you and SK/K, beating T/M before this season when they were Russia's #3 isn't the same as beating them now when they are Russia's#1. They have improved but also their political prospects are improved. There is no way SK/K can beat them this season. If they do I will eat my pillow; you can hold me to it- I'll livestream ;). Beating the French last year and previously also isn't the same as beating them this year IMO, though the French can and do have meltdowns so that one isn't impossible. As for Sui/Han if both teams are healthy (a big if) I think there's almost no chance of their beating them either. I like SK/K fine but they really just aren't a 'top' pairs team right now. They are a solid B level team who could potentially move up if they could get the SBS jumps under control and perform their programs a bit better..

TGee

Record Breaker
I imagine if they hated the music, they wouldn't have chosen it. Personally, I mostly liked the music choices at Euros.

It's rather a big assumption that the skaters chose their own music.....

There have been different schools of coaching thought on this.....many coaches have, at least in the past, chosen the music that they think will work best without consideration of the skaters' preferences.

The fact that Skate Canada has written guidance that, for young skaters especially, it is important to let them skate to music that they enjoy strongly suggests that, at least in Canada, the practice still exists.

My experience has been that while some coaches encourage their skaters to come forward with suggestions and then come to a decision from there, others provide 3 or so options and have their skaters choose from that limited set.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well Morgan & Cipres finally had their moment It was sloppy and ragged and exciting as git out. Bravo!

senatormls

On the Ice
Eurosport hasn't failed me yet with this event! Maybe it is because that the event is actually in Europe! Great pairs final, esp. the final 6. So glad for the French ( James and Cipres). Vanessa made a great call when it came to coaching changes. They look more confident and enjoy what they do on the ice. Absolutely LOVE Aliona and Bruno's long program. Beautiful and so well paced. One can see that she loves to compete and had genuine tears of joy after that performance. A throw double axel was a wise choice after her injury. I do like the winner Russian pair but what is up with the music choice? Very 'Robin' 80's! Other highlights were the wardrobe malfunctions. The British pair in the short ( his shirt coming undone showing his chest and stomach.. not bad!) and Hotarek's suspenders snapping off at the end of their short program! Valentina like to play with them! Back to the British pair, much respect for the woman in that pair. 37 years old and still going strong. Liked the intensity on her forhead during the death spiral sequence.
Overall a tight and tough competition. Watch out Canada and China!

skatemouse

On the Ice
Respectfully to both you and SK/K, beating T/M before this season when they were Russia's #3 isn't the same as beating them now when they are Russia's#1. They have improved but also their political prospects are improved. There is no way SK/K can beat them this season. If they do I will eat my pillow; you can hold me to it- I'll livestream ;). Beating the French last year and previously also isn't the same as beating them this year IMO, though the French can and do have meltdowns so that one isn't impossible. As for Sui/Han if both teams are healthy (a big if) I think there's almost no chance of their beating them either. I like SK/K fine but they really just aren't a 'top' pairs team right now. They are a solid B level team who could potentially move up if they could get the SBS jumps under control and perform their programs a bit better..

Well first you have no idea as you have not seen them this year. They also could have improved, a ton. Which I am guessing is significant or they would not have a bye to 4CC's and Worlds right now. SO you may have to have that pillow ready lol as they also have their time which could be now. Internationally they are known if they throw down and that is a big if for ALL the teams it is possible. They have beaten all the teams mentioned already so if they too have improved significantly which I am guessing they have I would definitely have that pillow ready. They are a top team it is up to them to claim it and although difficult and not expected it is when they flourish as the underdog. Some pairs just do better like that they are one that does. The only reason T/M is the top Russian team is because the top team is out with expected baby. So consider that in your pillow offer. So seeing as we have no idea what their programs are like or how they have improved although with their new choreographer and extra training for the Male pair of the K I think this will be exciting! Although I am not for sure of anything no one should be. I am sure that the other teams are not happy about Sk/K being at 4CC's and Worlds though. They do throw a wrench and that is pretty good for a USA team let's be real no one is expecting gold or perfection for the USA in pairs although it would be nice. I am sure that shocked them at Skate America in the short when they were ahead of Sui Han It sure as hell shocked me and I know how good they are having seen them in person they are very powerful and quiet striking actually. They will however be there to fight and I for one am very excited to see how much as a married couple they have improved. It is interesting and adds another twist (pun intended). My point was they have beaten those teams so anything is possible. They also beat S/K of Russia after only a few months together so?? That was a bit shocking too but no joke on how hard the USA has to climb in pairs every year regardless especially after this disastrous Nationals. Bless them for fighting the good fight. Go USA!

bobbob

Medalist
Well first you have no idea as you have not seen them this year. They also could have improved, a ton. Which I am guessing is significant or they would not have a bye to 4CC's and Worlds right now. SO you may have to have that pillow ready lol as they also have their time which could be now. Internationally they are known if they throw down and that is a big if for ALL the teams it is possible. They have beaten all the teams mentioned already so if they too have improved significantly which I am guessing they have I would definitely have that pillow ready. They are a top team it is up to them to claim it and although difficult and not expected it is when they flourish as the underdog. Some pairs just do better like that they are one that does. The only reason T/M is the top Russian team is because the top team is out with expected baby. So consider that in your pillow offer. So seeing as we have no idea what their programs are like or how they have improved although with their new choreographer and extra training for the Male pair of the K I think this will be exciting! Although I am not for sure of anything no one should be. I am sure that the other teams are not happy about Sk/K being at 4CC's and Worlds though. They do throw a wrench and that is pretty good for a USA team let's be real no one is expecting gold or perfection for the USA in pairs although it would be nice. I am sure that shocked them at Skate America in the short when they were ahead of Sui Han It sure as hell shocked me and I know how good they are having seen them in person they are very powerful and quiet striking actually. They will however be there to fight and I for one am very excited to see how much as a married couple they have improved. It is interesting and adds another twist (pun intended). My point was they have beaten those teams so anything is possible. They also beat S/K of Russia after only a few months together so?? That was a bit shocking too but no joke on how hard the USA has to climb in pairs every year regardless especially after this disastrous Nationals. Bless them for fighting the good fight. Go USA!

When did they beat Sui and Han overall? Last year at worlds they didn't fare too well, good showing at four continents though. Although it is true we have not seen them in almost a year (we have not seen Sui and Han either), so anything is possible. I certainly hope they skate well, though I think it's unlikely they finish in the top 8.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Just watched J/C FP again for the millionth time... it is very emotional for me. "Silence" has to be the ultimate protest song and I feel on some level Vanessa & Morgan were skating a tribute for France, honoring their country's steadfastness in the face of unspeakable horrors suffered on that country's soil this year. This tribute, from my POV and possibly theirs, was the crown to an incredible, tough, feisty, glorious skate that will be remembered in FS history. WELL DONE a thousand times and thank you! :love::yahoo::clapper:

Last edited: