2017 Worlds Entries | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Entries

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We should enjoy this opportunity . Is pretty likely ISU will upgrade the TES minimuns for Pairs next season.

Not that I'm a huge pairs fan, but I hope they don't cut too deeply.

I like seeing non-traditional powers have a chance to shine. I think that this type of exposure is how struggling federations can grow their programs.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That name sounds familiar. I'm not sure why... did he once skate for another country?

Well, I'll answer my own question. He's Naomi Nari Nam's former pair partner.

Thanks, Google! Now that I know, of course I remember. They had some promise.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well, I'll answer my own question. He's Naomi Nari Nam's former pair partner.

Thanks, Google! Now that I know, of course I remember. They had some promise.

NNN is their coach!! I loved seeing her in the K&C at 4cc!

Icey

Record Breaker
OT Why is a winter sport holding its world competition in the Spring?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
OT Why is a winter sport holding its world competition in the Spring?

Ice hockey awards the Stanley Cup in June (The World Championships are in May, but for the top players the Stanley Cup is normally much more important so I said that). The women's World Curling Championships happen in March and the men's in April. These sports really get going in the fall (hockey and figure skating; I don't know the curling season at all) and end in the spring. Because of the length of their seasons, they'd be starting in the middle of summer to finish in the winter (and I know there are club comps and junior stuff in the summer already, I'm mostly talking about GP and Challengers).

shayla

Rinkside
this is off topic i'm new to figure skating and im just wondering is worlds a big competion compared to others? :scratch2:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
this is off topic i'm new to figure skating and im just wondering is worlds a big competion compared to others? :scratch2:

The World Championship's prestige is only second to the Olympic Games. :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Apart from the Olympics, it is the biggest competition of the season and the most prestigious/important.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker

That made me think.
I think in terms of prestige/importance, the figure skating competitions go this way:

Olympic games > Worlds > Grand prix final > Continental championship (Europeans or 4 Continents) > GP? > Nationals? > Challengers?

what do you think?? Maybe for some countries where the competition is fierce, Nationals would be more important than a Grand Prix win or podium. I am thinking of Radionova for example who won the Cup of China but then didn't qualify for international competitions because she did (relatively) poorly at nationals. There is also this thing with 4CC that is regarded as less prestigious than Euros for example because a lot of top competitors, especially the Americans, usually skip it. But i think it has gained in prestige in the last couple of years and especially this year of course.

Nirti

Medalist
That made me think.
I think in terms of prestige/importance, the figure skating competitions go this way:

Olympic games > Worlds > Grand prix final > Continental championship (Europeans or 4 Continents) > GP? > Nationals? > Challengers?

what do you think?? Maybe for some countries where the competition is fierce, Nationals would be more important than a Grand Prix win or podium. I am thinking of Radionova for example who won the Cup of China but then didn't qualify for international competitions because she did (relatively) poorly at nationals. There is also this thing with 4CC that is regarded as less prestigious than Euros for example because a lot of top competitors, especially the Americans, usually skip it. But i think it has gained in prestige in the last couple of years and especially this year of course.

I would say maybe the Europeans are more important than GPF for the european skaters?
And for a US skater, the US title is more important than a 4 Continents title, but maybe I'm wrong. 4CC has gained prestige, quite only the top of US skaters sometimes skips it...
And for the GP, it depends maybe on the country. For a french skater, win the French GP is very important, but for a chinese skater, of course Cup of China is more important...
But in figure skating more than in some other sports, the olympic title is very very important, a bit too much I think. Cuz if you don't have the chance to have Olympics between your 15 and 17 years when you are a girl, you've quite no chance to win it :(

It would be interesting to know for the top skaters which victory was the most important for them :)

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Cuz if you don't have the chance to have Olympics between your 15 and 17 years when you are a girl, you've quite no chance to win it :(
Erm... it's not so long since Yuna Kim won at age 19. And her nearest competitor (Asada) was also 19.

In 2014 Kim and Kostner were clear contenders at 23 and 27 respectively, and there are people who would argue for both of them being the rightful winner. Asada had a meltdown in the SP, but was also a contender at 23 - and many considered her the favourite to win, before the competition began...

Medvedeva will be 19 at the next Olympics - and at this point it's pretty brave to suggest she won't be a contender.
Same goes for any number of other Ladies skaters...

Last edited:

Bellaxx

Rinkside
Medvedeva will be 19 at the next Olympics - and at this point it's pretty brave to suggest she won't be a contender.

Medvedeva turns 18 this November, and so will still be 18 at the next Olympics [emoji846]

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Erm... it's not so long since Yuna Kim won at age 19. And her nearest competitor (Asada) was also 19.

In 2014 Kim and Kostner were clear contenders at 23 and 27 respectively, and there are people who would argue for both of them being the rightful winner. Asada had a meltdown in the SP, but was also a contender at 23 - and many considered her the favourite to win, before the competition began...

Same goes for any number of other Ladies skaters...

Obviously it is an exaggeration but there is a clear pattern of really young female skaters winning the olympics. Baiul was 16, Lipinsky was 15, Hugues was 16, Kim was 19, Sotnikova was 17... Only Arakawa in recent years was over 20. Obviously there are real contenders who are older but it is true that the year of the olympics corresponding to your peaking in your usually very short career as a female skater (there are exceptions obviously) is only a matter of luck. And it is true for a lot of sports but especially for figure skating I believe, so it is true, imo that Olympics are not necessarily representative...

GF2445

Record Breaker
What is taking them SO long to release the list???!!!!
C'mon ISU we are waiting.

:dev2:

Nirti

Medalist
Official list up! Just a few missings :
- Abzal Rakimgaliev (KAZ), still injured? He withdrew from 4CC too
- Cherniavskaia/Krasnopolski (ISR), for Europeans they were added a bit later, will it be the case too?

And the north korean pair will be in Helsinki! They plan to qualify for Olympics probably

Ok, I thought Kim was a bit younger when she won :biggrin:
But what I wanted to say, is that many skaters have a only one peak in their carreir, and sometimes they have the chance that it happens including an Olympic year, sometimes not.

Of course there's exceptions, but as daphenaxa listed, 4 of the 6 last olympics champions were aged 15-17 (and one 18!)
And we don't know the name of next olympics winner, some here are already seeing Zagitova to win.