2017 Worlds Entries | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Entries

The Finn

Record Breaker
- Cherniavskaia/Krasnopolski (ISR), for Europeans they were added a bit later, will it be the case too?

I have seen a rumor that she went back to Moscow. So, she might be looking for another partner.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
29 entries in Pairs. Wow. If it stay like that, it will be 8 groups on ice competing, the most, comparing with the other disciplines (who will have 7 groups each). Just wow.

LRK

Record Breaker
I have seen a rumor that she went back to Moscow. So, she might be looking for another partner.

If true, and if he finds himself another new partner - that would be his 5th, wouldn't it?

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I am a big fan of pairs and going to see both SP and FS. I feel I get value to my money now properly while seeing so much pairs. How they might share the groups? 3+3, 3+4 and the rest of groups 4 pairs in each?

Finnish pair has no pressure. But because he is not Finnish, they do not have the pressure to get in the olympics. They would like to go, but according to rules at the moment they can't. To get to free they need the skate of they lives and totally clean SP to get it does still may not be enough. In fact, the rest on Finnish team need probably theirs SB:s with clean skates in shorts to get in the free. Anyway, nice to have competitors in each category from arranging country.

LRK

Record Breaker
I am a big fan of pairs and going to see both SP and FS. I feel I get value to my money now properly while seeing so much pairs. How they might share the groups? 3+3, 3+4 and the rest of groups 4 pairs in each?

Finnish pair has no pressure. But because he is not Finnish, they do not have the pressure to get in the olympics. They would like to go, but according to rules at the moment they can't. To get to free they need the skate of they lives and totally clean SP to get it does still may not be enough. In fact, the rest on Finnish team need probably theirs SB:s with clean skates in shorts to get in the free. Anyway, nice to have competitors in each category from arranging country.

There will also be Nebelhorn Trophy, I believe, which gives countries a last chance to gain a spot for the Olympics.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
But in figure skating more than in some other sports, the olympic title is very very important, a bit too much I think. Cuz if you don't have the chance to have Olympics between your 15 and 17 years when you are a girl, you've quite no chance to win it :(

It would be interesting to know for the top skaters which victory was the most important for them :)

What about Shizuka who won at age of 24? :dev2: The other podium finishers, Irina Slutskaya and Sasha Cohen were both over twenty too. Sometimes a late bloomer wins.

Seeing the number of entries is like a Christmas for me! So many countries that gained TES minimums for first time in all disciplines :hap10:

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

If they don't qualify a spot here, they can try at Nebelhorn. But if he doesn't have citizenship it could be a moot point.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
Sotskova as Russia's 3rd entry is a shocker even though she was 3rd at nationals. I really thought Radionova will go because of Sotskova's FS meltdown and a 4th place finish at Europeans. [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If they don't qualify a spot here, they can try at Nebelhorn. But if he doesn't have citizenship it could be a moot point.

How do those citizenship rules work, anyway? Is it a decision made by individual federations?

I'm fairly certain non-citizens can represent USA at Worlds (example: Tanith Belbin) but there's generally some angst and flurry concerning citizenship as the Olympics approach (example: Tanith Belbin, again).

Is it the same everywhere?

yyzskater

On the Ice
olympics : you need citizenship.

worlds : you don't.

Sorry if this has been discussed, but is there a possibility of the IOC changing that rule for pairs and dance so only one partner needs citizenship...so similar to worlds. I don't know if it has ever been discussed as a possibility.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
olympics : you need citizenship.

worlds : you don't.

Nailed that.

Sorry if this has been discussed, but is there a possibility of the IOC changing that rule for pairs and dance so only one partner needs citizenship...so similar to worlds. I don't know if it has ever been discussed as a possibility.

Not happening. Otherwise bigger, more powerful countries will just offer money to the best athletes to represent their countries, and some athletes would basically become mercenaries for hire, changing country for the best money each Olympiad.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Nailed that.

Not happening. Otherwise bigger, more powerful countries will just offer money to the best athletes to represent their countries, and some athletes would basically become mercenaries for hire, changing country for the best money each Olympiad.

i nail many things ;) but thank you

well.. you know, honestly, bigger countries are also letting athletes go all over the world to make teams... look at the number of canadian boys and girls in pairs and dance.. who are competing elsewhere.

Without Canada, there would be no Danes in dance... no Armenia in ice dance... very little Japan in pairs.... etc....

and then, you get the Russians who do the same... without Russia, pairs in Australia wouldn't be as exciting right ? ETC

So I don't think it quite works like this... For example, USA and Canada have a long history of letting teams "happen"

Tanith Belbin : Canadian
Kaitlyn Weaver : American
Piper Gilles : AMerican
Mervin Tran : Canadian but sometimes we wonder where he really is from ;)

I think that I prefer that athletes skate for a country they truly love... for instance, if you listen to Lubov's interview, she truly already is in love with Canada and I sincerely hope they will qualify and that she will get her paperwork done....

I wonder if Victor Ahn (speed Skater) is back to his native Korea ;) after "being convinced" for Sochi ... (so yes, it does happen in some sports that federations get the best athletes, like in track and field for instance.... and that money runs it... but in figure skating, with the amount of big nation skaters, skating for smaller nations, it's a different thing.... BTW i have not bothered mentioning all these boys and girls who were representing Asian countries at 4CC but are actually American and Canadian... )

So yeah... i think it's slightly different with figure skating

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Xiangning LI has replaced Ziquan ZHAO for China.

Shame, I quite like Ziquan, and she's been improving lately....

Moaray

Rinkside
Xiangning LI has replaced Ziquan ZHAO for China.

Shame, I quite like Ziquan, and she's been improving lately....
China needs to secure the 2 spots in Olympic otherwise Zijun would have to perform 4 programmes in Olympic which is a big challenge for her in terms of her lack of stamina if China only has one spot.
Ziquan is so inconsistent in FS and technically she can not compare with Xiangning who has good flip and lutz with no edge call and 3F+3T. Also, Xiangning did much better job international competitions.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
China needs to secure the 2 spots in Olympic otherwise Zijun would have to perform 4 programmes in Olympic which is a big challenge for her in terms of her lack of stamina if China only has one spot.
Ziquan is so inconsistent in FS and technically she can not compare with Xiangning who has good flip and lutz with no edge call and 3F+3T. Also, Xiangning did much better job international competitions.

Only if China makes it to the team finals . The last fifth spot is going to be heavily disputed between CHN, FRA and ITA imo.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Lucie MYSLIVECKOVA / Lukas CSOLLEY SVK no longer listed for Ice Dance...

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Lucie MYSLIVECKOVA / Lukas CSOLLEY SVK no longer listed for Ice Dance...

Damn. Getting the oly spot at Helsinki was kinda out of reach for them this season but I so hope they could get it at Nebelrhon. Both deserve to be olympians.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That made me think.
I think in terms of prestige/importance, the figure skating competitions go this way:

Olympic games > Worlds > Grand prix final > Continental championship (Europeans or 4 Continents) > GP? > Nationals? > Challengers?

what do you think?? Maybe for some countries where the competition is fierce, Nationals would be more important than a Grand Prix win or podium. I am thinking of Radionova for example who won the Cup of China but then didn't qualify for international competitions because she did (relatively) poorly at nationals. There is also this thing with 4CC that is regarded as less prestigious than Euros for example because a lot of top competitors, especially the Americans, usually skip it. But i think it has gained in prestige in the last couple of years and especially this year of course.

I agree with you that 4CC is undergoing a gradual upward trajectory in prestige. In the past, some Americans skipped it and passed the "honor" on to lower ranked pairs/skaters. Of course, Ashley Wagner didn't go this year... but I think that has more to do with preserving strength for Worlds than discounting the importance of the championship. I still think an American skater would still choose to be National Champ over 4CC Champ.

I think Euro is probably more prestigious than 4CC, but that is because of the long fabled history. 4CC has a lot of ground to make up there.