2017 Worlds Entries | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Entries

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree with you that 4CC is undergoing a gradual upward trajectory in prestige. In the past, some Americans skipped it and passed the "honor" on to lower ranked pairs/skaters. Of course, Ashley Wagner didn't go this year... but I think that has more to do with preserving strength for Worlds than discounting the importance of the championship. I still think an American skater would still choose to be National Champ over 4CC Champ.

I think Euro is probably more prestigious than 4CC, but that is because of the long fabled history. 4CC has a lot of ground to make up there.

a Canadian skater probably also would prefer being National Champion than 4CC champion.... ask Kevin Reynolds... not sure I am right... but yeah...

Now... IMHO and YMMV

Olympic games > Worlds> here, I beg to differ with GPF : simply because if it is quite a fantastically difficult event to win, in theory, it's less difficult than "Open" championships like EUROS and 4CC... The thing though is that GPF is the big closing event in the fall.... finishing the season of GPs... but, it's not Yuri on Ice here... it's reality and Europeans and 4CC to me, place ahead of GPF.... because it's a competition including many more countries.... fine, some top competitors may be missing.... but to me it has the added cachet as well as the skaters who do compete have done their nationals, and are there to represent their countries.... GPF, they are there for themselves.

So OG> Worlds> ISU championships (Euro and 4CC) GPF/Nationals... some skaters would argue that being a national champion is more important than winning GPF. I am certain of that, but it depends of the country of the skater. I am sure Javi would prefer winning GPF. GP? Challengers etc...

It's an interesting discussion in how we perceive things being from different countries. I would be interested to hear how the skaters themselves rank these.

Hannah555

Ava artwork by talented ShampooNeko
Final Flight
It's an interesting discussion in how we perceive things being from different countries. I would be interested to hear how the skaters themselves rank these.

I don't know about all skaters but T/M pair was asked what is more important to them this year: GPF title or European's title , and they both agreed that Europeans medal was the most important medal in their carrier so yes, for them Europeans was more important than GPF...

Last edited:

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
So OG> Worlds> ISU championships (Euro and 4CC) GPF/Nationals... some skaters would argue that being a national champion is more important than winning GPF. I am certain of that, but it depends of the country of the skater. I am sure Javi would prefer winning GPF. GP? Challengers etc...

There has to be a little correction for Russian ladies :) :

OG -> Russian Nationals :eek:: -> Worlds -> Euro -> GPF -> Challengers :p

I guess it will remain only my dream that Russia will create for ladies - National Figure Skating League - NFSL (just like NHL, NBA, MLB, etc) :sad4:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
There has to be a little correction for Russian ladies :) :

OG -> Russian Nationals :eek:: -> Worlds -> Euro -> GPF -> Challengers :p

I guess it will remain only my dream that Russia will create for ladies - National Figure Skating League - NFSL (just like NHL, NBA, MLB, etc) :sad4:

lol... sure but don't forget that it goes in cycles.... at one point, american ladies were the ones who could sweep the podium... and did..

We will see if the Russian dominance lasts over the Sochi swing... if it's still there in 10 years wow!!!

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Olympic games > Worlds> here, I beg to differ with GPF : simply because if it is quite a fantastically difficult event to win, in theory, it's less difficult than "Open" championships like EUROS and 4CC... The thing though is that GPF is the big closing event in the fall.... finishing the season of GPs... but, it's not Yuri on Ice here... it's reality and Europeans and 4CC to me, place ahead of GPF.... because it's a competition including many more countries.... fine, some top competitors may be missing.... but to me it has the added cachet as well as the skaters who do compete have done their nationals, and are there to represent their countries.... GPF, they are there for themselves.

Not related to the ranking of these competitions - but I'm pretty sure that bolded part isn't the case. What does that seasons nationals being before or after an other event having to do with a skater representing their country? They are representing their country at every event they enter, always. Pretty sure if you ask them, they're going to GPF or WC just as much for themselves and for their country in both cases.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Not related to the ranking of these competitions - but I'm pretty sure that bolded part isn't the case. What does that seasons nationals being before or after an other event having to do with a skater representing their country? They are representing their country at every event they enter, always. Pretty sure if you ask them, they're going to GPF or WC just as much for themselves and for their country in both cases.

semantics

what I mean is that a skater that goes into an international/continental championships where skaters from all countries go to have a different sense of pride.

For instance, I am sure the 4 Russian ladies were proud to be at GPF but their agenda was to place for themselves, get prize money and ranking points... but at Olympics or worlds and even at Euros they represent also Russia...

The GPF is not open.. it's an invitational event based on GP results. No American ladies were there this year. No Russian ladies were there some years... so it's not so much an event where National pride and representation is a factor.

That's what I mean with skating for their countries. Sure you can argue that they always do... but it's not really the same in events where over 20, 30 or even 40 countries are represented than it is in an event where 3 4 -5 or 6 countries at best are represented.

I hope I clarified my point.

YMMV

ETA forgot to address one of your questions : the timing of nationals... of course it has an impact. For ISU championships, athletes are named by their country's federation... so there is even more of a hype about those events and the fact that they happen shortly after nationals... actually the nationals are shortly before the bigger events :) so that skaters best in shape are chosen.

For GPs... it's a different system based on individual results. A skater can fell national pride while on the tour but he/she is there based on personal results, not based on national team selection.

Last edited:

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
lol... sure but don't forget that it goes in cycles.... at one point, american ladies were the ones who could sweep the podium... and did..

We will see if the Russian dominance lasts over the Sochi swing... if it's still there in 10 years wow!!!

Nothing funny about that. :disapp: What about American ladies domanation - true, but they never had a depth of team.

I'm talking about injustice. :( In Russia, at least 15 skaters from senior and junior levels will always be contenders for medals at any international competitions. But only three of them will get a chance to particapte there. Others will disappear in nowhere. It breaks my heart. The only way - create their own league with history and records just like NHL (which I prefer more than World Cup or even OG). But I really doubt they capable for it because they never showed any initiative in any sports (Rhythmic Gymnastic for example). So no hopes for this country and no hopes for all these talented Russian ladies. I'm gonna cry right now. I should leave this thread. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Nothing funny about that. :disapp: What about American ladies domanation - true, but they never had a depth of team.

I'm talking about injustice. :( In Russia, at least 15 skaters from senior and junior levels will always be contenders for medals at any international competitions. But only three of them will get a chance to particapte there. Others will disappear in nowhere. It breaks my heart. The only way - create their own league with history and records just like NHL (which I prefer more than World Cup or even OG). But I really doubt they capable for it because they never showed any initiative in any sports (Rhythmic Gymnastic for example). So no hopes for this country and no hopes for all these talented Russian ladies. I'm gonna cry right now. I should leave this thread. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I feel like Russia needs to send different ladies to all the senior B events. So all those middle of the pack women also get a shot at a podium.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

dear friend ;) one thing these girls know is that they cannot skate only with the podium in mind. They have to do it because they love it. If they skate for passion of the sport, they will be happy. The rest is a bonus.

This is true for so many fields including mine : classical music.

You have to do it for love. So do not feel it is unfair for them... think about how exciting that collectively they are so dominant, that they are part of history in Russian skating, that they do it with passion and love.

The sport is too tough on the mind and body (and the wallet) to just do it because there's a slight chance to become the next Medvedeva.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Everytime there is a new post this thread, i suddenly dread that there may be a withdrawal.....phew..

We're okay. No withdrawals today.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I think Xiangning Li is developing slow but steady. Her ss and edge are better than Zijun in my opinion. She also has higher combined total score than Ziquan Zhao in her first senior year. She is no doubt the right choice just hope she can rest well between junior and senior worlds.

China needs to secure the 2 spots in Olympic otherwise Zijun would have to perform 4 programmes in Olympic which is a big challenge for her in terms of her lack of stamina if China only has one spot.
Ziquan is so inconsistent in FS and technically she can not compare with Xiangning who has good flip and lutz with no edge call and 3F+3T. Also, Xiangning did much better job international competitions.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Korean Pairs team Minji JI / Themistocles LEFTHERIS are no longer listed...

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
I just went through the entries list on the ISU website and I'm sad Ivan Righini won't be there. What kind of injury does he have?

Also the situation for Myslivečková/Csolley is not good, when I saw they are not on the list I went to search some information on Slovak Skating Federation website and there is an information she suffered a shoulder injury during practice and surgery will be necessary.She should take the surgery ASAP because then she will need recovery. She has already had some problems with her shoulder before. They'd like to compete at Nebelhorn Trophy next season.

patinage_adulte

On the Ice
I don't understand WHY Korea don't send another Pair ???? they are 3 Korean Pairs who reach the World TES so what it's the real reason ???
maybe because of North Korean pair ???!!! if yes ok they can be qualify for Olympics but for 99% they don't going because it's in Korea ....
so Korea expect to qualify pairs at Nebelhorn Trophy ??? it's very risky to think of that or maybe Korea don't want a Pair in Olympics Games : very stupid !!!!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't understand WHY Korea don't send another Pair ???? they are 3 Korean Pairs who reach the World TES so what it's the real reason ???
maybe because of North Korean pair ???!!! if yes ok they can be qualify for Olympics but for 99% they don't going because it's in Korea ....
so Korea expect to qualify pairs at Nebelhorn Trophy ??? it's very risky to think of that or maybe Korea don't want a Pair in Olympics Games : very stupid !!!!!

Well I think SK already gets a pair as the host anyway...

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Well I think SK already gets a pair as the host anyway...

Not necessarily. Via the Qualification Procedures document

The host country places will only be implemented if there are remaining places from the ten (10) Team event “Additional Athletes Quotas”.

The "Additional Athletes Quota" is so that countries who qualify for the Team competition by points, but have an incomplete team by # of disciplines, can bring a skater or pairs/dance team solely for the team competition.

If all those spots are used up, then South Korea won't get host spots.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I don't understand WHY Korea don't send another Pair ?

Ji & Leftheris have withdrawn from other events due to injuries. It's not uncommon in pairs, unfortunately; and considering how long he has been competing, it would be surprising if he doesn't have chronic injury issues. It's too late, at this stage, for Korea to name another team now if they didn't name them on the substitute list. I'm surprised they didn't name their other teams from 4CCs. Perhaps this is one of those kinds of mistakes that happens when a country is trying to break into the sport? Korea is very unlikely to qualify a pairs team individually, either via Worlds or Nebelhorn. They need a healthy pairs team, however, in order to compete as a team at the Olympics. (There isn't a catch 22, is there? A low score at Worlds can't undermine the team qualification points gained by the junior team at Junior Worlds, can it?) Anyway, the young teams look like they can do the job just as creditably as J&L. I feel more positive about Korea's chances of fielding a full team than I did last season.

Last edited: