2017 Four Continents live/practice reports | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents live/practice reports

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sui and Han were gorgeous, didn't realize how much I missed them. Their throw jumps are so light and easy. And I guess this is the season for pairs to skate to Simon & Garfunkel covers!

Patrick's 3A and his 4T/3T were also huge and beautiful. Hoping he gets on the podium here or gets his 4th(?) 4CC title!

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Does anyone have any practice clips / reports on US men? I've seen one partial clip of Jason and that's it. Thanks!

The previous page here has clips from Nathan and Grant too.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I was prepared to get all defensive of that song because it's one of my favorites and of course Simon/Garfunkel. I had memories of Paradis/Ouellette's FD to that song and was looking forward to getting the same sort of program from S/H. Then I watched the practice clip and I don't know why Lori chose that horrible cover version. It goes no where and the voice is quite annoying.

Same. I don't want to gripe too much about it because, of course i love their skating and the choreo itself is great imo, but S&G covers are just unnecessary. I too was hoping for something like P/O's(basically, use the original!).

yqs100

On the Ice
Regarding Sui/Han's LP music, I like John Legend's version, it's very simple only piano and vocal, clean and emotional.

Original version is good but imo this version is more close to the story Sui/ Han try to tell.

Eclair

Medalist
:love::love::love: I love Zijun's skating so much! She's absolutely stunning and her lines are to die for! : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edvkc2o4b_4
Such a lovely and exquisite presentation :love::love: Can't wait to see her in competition!

Rooting for Rika!!:luv17: Mirai! :luv17: Karen! :luv17: Kaetlyn! :luv17: I hope they all skate well!:cheer:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
What do you guys think of Hubbell/Donohue's new SBS footwork sequence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoGdQlVYKk

They are now going for a much cleaner, precise look with it. I can't help but think they sort of copied Chock/Bates with the knee slides and the Shibs by going for more consistent and precise spacing and movement throughout the sequence. That said, it does look a lot better to me though I miss parts of the GP and the Nationals versions of the SBS footwork.

mrrice

Record Breaker

They are now going for a much cleaner, precise look with it. I can't help but think they sort of copied Chock/Bates with the knee slides and the Shibs by going for more consistent and precise spacing and movement throughout the sequence. That said, it does look a lot better to me though I miss parts of the GP and the Nationals versions of the SBS footwork.

I love it.....In fact, I love ALL of our teams this year and that has never happened. I love the music, the costuming, the programs, and all 3 couples are so good looking. I have never seen Alex Shibutani take a bad picture in his life. For Zach and Evan.......I don't know if it's the programs, or the new costumes but they BOTH look Masculine, Mature, and Handsome. We may not win but, we're certainly looking good...:dance:

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker

My only problem is the second half of the step seq they don´t look in sync.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Was this the 4Tw or the 3Tw? She rotates so fast I am not able to count.

Maybe the music is too simple but this was a very promising rum through. Their lifts are as amazing as S/M´s ones and their throws are the best in the world. Sorry. But meagan´s air position looks clumpsy in comparision to this.

Definitely 4tw. She does a tano 3t and doesn't have to rotate as fast for that.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
S/H :love: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfMqXV4Qu-Y I got goosebumps and they even skipped some parts

just got home from work and watched - they're already surpassing just 'skating' the program, they are truly performing it artistically and adding their personal interpretation to it. It is obvious for me that they connect with that music, that message in a big way,that they want to express those feelings to everyone and the way the're doing it is spectacular.

So young in age, but so composed,mature and sophisticated in their expression, carriage on ice. Their interaction, chemistry seems much bigger than before, much more profound.

Yes, I'm a bit disappoited though due to not using original version, but at the same time I feel like John's warmth in voice, simplicity in arrange are adding a sense of 'modernity' and minimalism to the picture created by Wenjing and Han. And honestly - I wouldn't mind costumes similar to those practice ones,the program and picture created are spectacular enough to mesmerize.

Even just glimpses are telling me that this will be my favourite FS this season,along with Aliona and Bruno.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Definitely 4tw. She does a tano 3t and doesn't have to rotate as fast for that.

i don't know... it looked like a huge 3Twist to me... and if you look carefully, she does rotate slower in the second 'half" of that twist... I think they are going safe right now...

Sydney Rose

Final Flight

He certainly is having a lot of fun! Thank you for posting this. It's wonderful to see Yuzu looking so happy after the difficult year he's had. And it's a relief to see that he and Brian appear to have resolved whatever issues the two of them had after Worlds--they seem to be genuinely enjoying each other now. :)

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
i don't know... it looked like a huge 3Twist to me... and if you look carefully, she does rotate slower in the second 'half" of that twist... I think they are going safe right now...

4. Slow it down in the YT options, it's 4. (gear on the right, speed, 0.25)

nguyhm

On the Ice
just got home from work and watched - they're already surpassing just 'skating' the program, they are truly performing it artistically and adding their personal interpretation to it. It is obvious for me that they connect with that music, that message in a big way,that they want to express those feelings to everyone and the way the're doing it is spectacular.

So young in age, but so composed,mature and sophisticated in their expression, carriage on ice. Their interaction, chemistry seems much bigger than before, much more profound.

Yes, I'm a bit disappoited though due to not using original version, but at the same time I feel like John's warmth in voice, simplicity in arrange are adding a sense of 'modernity' and minimalism to the picture created by Wenjing and Han. And honestly - I wouldn't mind costumes similar to those practice ones,the program and picture created are spectacular enough to mesmerize.

Even just glimpses are telling me that this will be my favourite FS this season,along with Aliona and Bruno.
Is it my imagination or Han is more "buff" now and Sui is definitely more sophisticated, gorgeous lines. I love how they look on ice now, her sophistication in contrast with his "masculinity" - perfect. I don't think they looked this way last year and before.

sarama

Medalist
I'm so so happy to have Sui and Han back. I always appreciate Chinese pairs for their big, powerful elements, but these two are just something else: they have everything TES-wise and PCS-wise, but especially they have that magical quality that makes you forget you are watching a competitive program, and only the greatest ones in this sport can do that. The fact that they are still so young, and that this program still has very little mileage makes everything that much more impressive:bow:

shyne

Final Flight
For the last group of men, only Shoma showed up for the first practice session today.
The rest choose to skip it.