2017 Four Continents Pairs FS | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Pairs FS

andromache

Record Breaker
to me S/H have the best SP but S/M have the best LP. lighthouse it's just gorgeous.
if the germans don't make mistake, they could win.

J/C have the best LP, IMO, but S/H and S/M are tied for second. I wasn't expecting S/H to have such a gorgeous LP, given I wasn't sure what to expect of their music choice. They are so modern this year, and their interpretation is full of subtlety and nuance that they lacked last year. S/M have the passion and emotion, but their LP is less interesting to me. But that might just be because I've seen it performed more times than S/H!

With so many top-notch programs this year, it'll be a real shame if T/M or D/R win Worlds, though I like both teams.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Sui and Han looked pretty solid to me. But I have to say 1. I agree D and R have to skate clean to have any chance and to make their lp work 2. Sui and Han were awesome BUT they do not have the magic of S and Z, G and G, even P and T or M and D at least not with their free program. Good but not special or chilling. But to be fair such chemistry is and should be rare and magical. i still think with the judging and scoring S and H are clearly in the driver seat for OGM/WGm at this point. I was right Sk/k look like they are medal conteners even with errors and returning they did so well :) My kind of surprise was I/M interesting are they Canada's no. 2 now. She st

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
S-K/K : i never liked them until this week... I thought they skated with more freedom and emotion... Good for them... Not my cup of tea with some of the positions and there's just something weird I cannot express but I did enjoy their skating for the first time this week... good!!!!

D/F : one poster said they are "beige" I tend to think that too...i cannot connect... I think the most exciting pair teams in the USA, is Tran Castelli and K/O... but that's another story

naw D/F are more taupe. Sometimes they fade into the background. Trying to complement but don't. Are just sort of background like.

Macassar88

Medalist
Anyone else really bothered by the camera work? They would pick the worst times to do facial zooms. It bothered me so much during the one legged lift of S/H where they zoomed in on her leg! It's like CoC level bad...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Anyone else really bothered by the camera work? They would pick the worst times to do facial zooms. It bothered me so much during the one legged lift of S/H where they zoomed in on her leg! It's like CoC level bad...

Yes... And when Peng/Jin did SBS 2A at the beginning they only showed Peng. Terrible camera work at the moments, that's true.

Bcash

Final Flight
Watching the Europeans last month and 4CC now, I've been thinking, have we seen a man in Pairs, since 2002, that can match Sikharulidze's combination of elegance in line and posture with power and skating quality? Honestly I cannot think of any. There have been a number of outstanding ladies but not the men.

Bcash

Final Flight
Sui and Han looked pretty solid to me. But I have to say 1. I agree D and R have to skate clean to have any chance and to make their lp work 2. Sui and Han were awesome BUT they do not have the magic of S and Z, G and G, even P and T or M and D at least not with their free program. Good but not special or chilling. But to be fair such chemistry is and should be rare and magical. i still think with the judging and scoring S and H are clearly in the driver seat for OGM/WGm at this point. I was right Sk/k look like they are medal conteners even with errors and returning they did so well :) My kind of surprise was I/M interesting are they Canada's no. 2 now. She st

If you mean Shen/Zhao, I have to say S/H's expression and movement quality are much, much better than S/Z's at a similar point in their career.

skatemouse

On the Ice
I completely disagree, so much so that I feel as if we were watching a different competition. Alexa/Chris are the class of the US pairs field, and skated very well here. I was not expecting them to look as strong and ready for this event as they did, given how little training time they had. The 14+ point gap over Haven/Brandon was completely justified and would have been even greater if they hadn't lost so much base value on their pair spin. The US has to be relieved that SK/K are ready for competition, because if this event and Europeans are any indication, they may save the US from losing their 2nd pair spot. It's something that's not a given this year given the depth of the field.

You cant compare US Nationals scores to 4CC scores. Just because D/F may have skated marginally better today than in their Nat'l LP (debatable), it certainly doesn't mean they were going to get a higher score. Nat'ls scoring gives some fans unrealistic expectations as to what skaters will score at ISU championships. Today was the first time Haven went for the 2A this season, and it wasn't really close. She also under-rotated the 3S and they didn't get a combo off (at Nat'ls they tacked on a 1T I believe). Their throws were slightly better than Nat'ls, but still a bit shaky and relatively low. Haven is a great performer and lovely to look at, but this was a difficult field to stand out in. Just because you think they have better flow than the Chinese (really debatable), it's not going to make a difference since the technical quality is primarily what determines a team's scoring potential. I also think their LP music might be better suited for a SP.

SK/K generally have stronger quality. Their twist and throws are massive and top quality, and they got all +3s today for their 3twist, which was one of the best ones I've seen them do. They also landed fully rotated 3S. Because of things like this, they have more potential to be competitive. It was also nice to see stronger flow, choreography, connection, and presence. There is maturation there, likely a result not being able to train the major elements for so many months. I also like that they finally have a LP that is soft and better shows their matching lines and good stretch. There is potential there, and it's slowly but surely coming out.

SO much better stated than I tried to put things. Clear and true. My only hope is that somehow both teams keep training and who knows maybe magic at World Championships!!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If you mean Shen/Zhao, I have to say S/H's expression and movement quality are much, much better than S/Z's at a similar point in their career.

The only point I have to disagree with you on is the time frame. Shen & Zhao were coached by Bin Yao and it was a time when China was attempting to come into the world of skating. Sui & Han are benefiting from that time. Bin Yao and his partner were all but laughed out of the arena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L_V0E0JP20

I actually don't think you can compare the two.

I loved watching Hongbo during the comp, he was very stoic but when S & H were in the kiss and cry he had the biggest smile on his face. I was also surprised to see the gray streak since he is only in his 40's.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
My dream podium would be Chinese, Germans and French!!! :love: I love Stolbova too but I don't like their long.

so we're in full agreement as I posted same wish in SP thread, communion of great minds :ghug:

and that would be one heck good looking podium!!!:laugh:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I dearly hope all these teams have gotten the sappy lyrical programs completely out of their system for next season. It's not my cup of tea in general, and on top of that there was basically no variety here. Zzzzz.... But I did love Peng/Jin - best performance by far for me.

rain

Record Breaker
The only point I have to disagree with you on is the time frame. Shen & Zhao were coached by Bin Yao and it was a time when China was attempting to come into the world of skating. Sui & Han are benefiting from that time. Bin Yao and his partner were all but laughed out of the arena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L_V0E0JP20

I actually don't think you can compare the two.

I loved watching Hongbo during the comp, he was very stoic but when S & H were in the kiss and cry he had the biggest smile on his face. I was also surprised to see the gray streak since he is only in his 40's.

Here's my unpopular opinion for the day....I never could get into S/Z. I could appreciate that they were good skaters, but they moved me not at all, ever. To the contrary, S/H have emerged as one of my all-time favourite pairs over the last two seasons. I find their musical expression and body movement far superior to S/Z, at any time in their careers.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Watching the Europeans last month and 4CC now, I've been thinking, have we seen a man in Pairs, since 2002, that can match Sikharulidze's combination of elegance in line and posture with power and skating quality? Honestly I cannot think of any. There have been a number of outstanding ladies but not the men.

Eric Radford is good at all of those things, but I'm not sure if he's as good as Anton. Probably not.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NBCSN is playing the last group right now where I'm at. Anyone else watching? I followed the event but haven't seen the footage so this works out quite nice for me :yes:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh dear lord....all they showed of Peng/Jeng was two seconds of the death spiral and the KnC. That's all I wanted to see....P/J's program :curse:

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
Hopping on here belatedly to say that I've fallen in love with Sui & Han. Really wonderful programs-- some of Lori Nichols' best. The quality of their movements and their interpretation have improved so much even since last season, and clearly a notch above everyone at this competition.

I was really happy for Peng and Jin too. She's emoting much more than she did with Zhang, and is really fighting to land those jumps. And is it me, or is Yang Jin really darn cute?

s_parks

Record Breaker
Honestly Nichols should just be confined to choreographing for sui and han, and occasionally denis.