2017 Worlds Men pre-event thread | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Men pre-event thread

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Some questions to get you started:
* Who will win?
* Who will get on the podium?
* How many landed with plus GOE quads will we get?
* Who are you excited to see at Worlds?

Plus your predictions, quandaries, concerns, anxieties, excitements on placements, quads, Olympic spots, etc.

Additions to the OP will be made shortly.

Last edited:

Pamigena

Record Breaker
I predict at least 10 different versions of a drinking game :coffee: ... I mean, a healthy exchange of coping mechanisms.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I predict at least 10 different versions of a drinking game :coffee: ... I mean, a healthy exchange of coping mechanisms.

We could have team quad and team splat. Team quad takes a shot when a successful quad is landed. Team splat take a shot when a quad is botched in anyway. The non-players get to bet on and judge who gets drunker.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I predict that Nathan Chen wins, Yuzu second. I'm not sure after that.

It could go either way! Hanyu could arrive at worlds with a lot of fire and beat Nathan or he could get more apprehensive. It's ice skating anything could happen. I'm just going to say Shoma could come in and take the win away from everyone, that would be funny!

blackey

On the Ice
i'd say yuzu wins. lol just because i don't think he can bear with losing twice in such a short time

KatGrace1925

Medalist
i'd say yuzu wins. lol just because i don't think he can bear with losing twice in such a short time

I pretty much agree with this sentiment. Yuzu tends to be the most dangerous after a loss. When he's "secure" at the top he can be more easily defeated.

beki

Medalist
I pretty much agree with this sentiment. Yuzu tends to be the most dangerous after a loss. When he's "secure" at the top he can be more easily defeated.

If Nathan brings back GPF15 Yuzu I'll send him flowers.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Well, I hope Yuzuru wins. I couldn't be more disinterested in the rest of the top contenders these days, or how many quads they land. Looking forward to seeing Deniss, Moris, Misha, & a few others. Praying that the Russian men don't bomb.

padme21

On the Ice
It could go either way! Hanyu could arrive at worlds with a lot of fire and beat Nathan or he could get more apprehensive. It's ice skating anything could happen. I'm just going to say Shoma could come in and take the win away from everyone, that would be funny!

Don't foget Javier!

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Who will win?

Hanyu

Who will get on the podium?

It's hard to tell, just a couple of predictions:

Hanyu, Uno, both in SP and FP mistake-free Fernandez or Chan, Chen

How many landed with plus GOE quads will we get?

I have no idea. Less than 10 in the SP, 20 in the FP?

Who are you excited to see at Worlds?

Super excited: Yuzuru :luv17:

Excited: D10, Shoma, Chan, Misha Ge, Kolyada, MCM

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I am super excited to see: Kolyada, Reynolds and D10. If these three actually make it to Worlds, my week will already be a success.
Yuzu's Gold will be the icing on the cake, and I have no doubts that he will win. Rooting for Shoma to get silver.
I don't really care about the amount of quads jumped. I would prefer a focus on actual figure skating. :disapp:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
so we're already getting started? At least there will be enough time to deliberate on all possibilities on results (probably), phrasing/trashing skaters back and forth, predicting how many YOLO jumps Yuzuru will do and stealing skaters to GS users harems :laugh:, but for some it could be too much, especially for die-hard fans of some skaters, take care!:ghug:

I think that win will be undecided until the last FS will be finished - there is no guarantee at this point whether Nathan or Yuzuru will win, or if maybe someone else will surprise us. Quad game is a tricky game, so is ice and there goes all last-minute alterations in programs...And there is still more than a month until Worlds - LOTS of things could happen...

Podium is even more tricky and unpredictable - I think that we should not underestimate some skaters by being too overhyped by all quad madness, but that's just my little 'silver lining'

About quads - there will be plenty of attempts, it's Worlds after all, but not sure if all will be good quality ones. Personally I'm counting on brilliant 3As, solo or in combos, and 1/2 Lo combos, they're just so effective for me if done cleanly. And I'm a sucker for good, musical step sequences and spins - with Shoma, Jason, Patrick and Yuzuru to name a few, at least I'm sure that this subject will be covered:love:

I'm generally excited about the whole Worlds - I'm more of a observer than invested fan regarding singles (except few skaters, like Anna or Shoma, Jason for which I carry a lot of personal sentiment, surpassing competition surface), but I'm die-hard crazy over Pairs and Ice Dance. Regarding Men, I just want to see everybody healthy and doing their best, but yeah, Misha Ge, Jason, Deniss V., Denis Ten, Michael Christian Martinez, Julian Yee (is he coming?!) will be my must-see picks, also curious over Russian Men, not mentioning the 'big guns'...

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Hanyu is building his momentum event to event this season. I hope at Worlds he is finally going to have the peak time

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I'm super excited to see Mika, Maxim, Moris and Deniss (and a lot of others!) live for the first time. I have no idea yet if I should bring Energy drinks to get through those long days just sitting on my behind or sedatives for my nerves :laugh:

As for the quads: I guess we'll see more failed attempts than landed ones. Probably not a lot with really good quality either. And I hope Yuzu doesn't decide to emergency quad me to a heart attack :drama:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Maxim Kovtun is going to be the surprise winner of Worlds 2017. He will come from behind and shock everyone with a 8 quad program - not even Nathan Chen, with his 'surprise' strategy will be able to stop him. Still...he won't be able to skate at the Olympics, as he will be left of the team since he will only be 10th at Nationals. Plushenko will win in South Korea. Mark my words.

In more serious spheres, I think Yuzuru will win the SP but lose the LP because of too many pops. Overall winner will probably be Nathan Chen, with Yuzuru second and either Javier or Shoma in third, depending on who makes more mistakes. Patrick Chan will be forever 5th now.

I'm most looking forward to Shoma and Yuzuru. I hope that both can improve and one of them will win. I'm also interested to see how Javier will compare and if Patrick Chan can skater better with no pressure. And Spider Jin! Who could forget him, I wish him all the best, but unfortunately he is old news already. This world of figure skating is a cruel one.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I'm sort of in this blissful haze as a Yuzuru fan since 4CC. It was probably the best thing that could have happened, overall. It reminds me of some past events and there's no more dangerous Yuzuru than that Yuzuru. I would just like to say good luck Brian, hang in there, you can do it, we're counting on you!

Misha Ge. It's going to be supremely bittersweet. I doubt we'll know, as he probably won't know, whether this is his last competition or not and then it cannot be anything but bittersweet. I've had the greatest of pleasures to have watched him all these years, and I hope that he won't feel any regrets, as that one insta post hinted at. He has been wonderful and may luck follow him and help him show us the best of him at the Worlds. I know he'll still be with us through choreography, and I love his pieces, but selfishly, I will be very, very sorry to see him go if he can't make it through to the next season. If so, let it be a wonderful farewell to skating, please skating gods.

For everyone else, I'm looking forward to seeing Deniss. I've been in love with his FS ever since NHK and even with the problem at Euros, I thought he was wonderful so I'm hoping for a clean skate from him as a boost for next season (and a happy Lambiel in K&C of course).

And because to say that I have been miffed with the whole veterans are so over thing is mild, may all veterans show their mettle. They didn't get here and achieve everything they did by chance!

Finally, may we all survive without alcohol poisoning :biggrin:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Posting this here again and adding the Europeans and Denis Ten. Some BVs were hard to calculate because the layouts in past competitions are always incomplete due to mistakes. The SP BVs are the only ones you can be surer about. Again, BVs are assuming all level 4s.

I'm also adding the season's best results for the SP for each contender; it's impossible to do the same for the FS since the layouts keep changing so much.

SP:
CHEN: 53.15 (SB 103.12)
JIN: 51.33 (SB 96.17)
UNO: 49.85 (SB 100.28)
HANYU: 49.75 (SB 106.53)
KOVTUN: 48.05 (SB 94.53)
FERNANDEZ: 47.75 (SB 104.25)
BROWN: 43.73 (SB 85.75)
TEN: 43.55 (SB 94.91)
CHAN: 43.40 (SB 99.76)
KOLYADA: 43.30 (SB 90.28)

FS:
CHEN: 111.43 (4CC layout; but that's if he doesn't replace a 4T with another 4F or 4Lz, goddamit kid)
JIN: 110.78 (4CC layout; will likely not change)
UNO: 104.64 (4CC layout; will likely not change, pls just find your Axels again)
HANYU: 103.43 (poss. alt. with 4Lo+3T: 105.08, because 4S-3T gives me nightmares)
FERNANDEZ: 95.13 (poss. alt. with 3Lz-3T-3Lo: 96.31-ish, idek)
CHAN: 92.76
KOLYADA: 87.96*
KOVTUN: 86.24*
BROWN: 83.94
TEN: (no idea; he's only been in two competitions this season and his layouts were different in both; waiting on AWG)

* uncertain on layout

Some notes:
- 4 men have reached 100+ score in their SP this season: Chen (4CC 2017); Fernandez (Euros 2017); Hanyu (NHK Trophy 2016, GPF 2016); Uno (4CC 2017).
- 3 men have reached 200+ score in their FS this season: Chen (4CC 2017); Fernandez (Rostelecom Cup 2016); Hanyu (4CC 2017).
- 2 men have reached 300+ overall score this season: Chen (4CC 2017); Hanyu (NHK Trophy 2016, 4CC 2017).
- If no one splats too much, we have five 300+ potential scorers (Chan, Chen, Fernandez, Hanyu, Uno). Six with Jin, but he's usually held down by his PCS.

Last edited: