TV Nationalism | Golden Skate

TV Nationalism

berthes ghost

Final Flight
OK, thank God I have my choice between about 6 staions who are broadcasting the Olys, but what is up with Nationalism? I actually cought a little of the ladies gymnastics on Dutch TV. I mostly watch the BBC for language reasons, but as there are no UK gymnysts, they aren't showing any. Yesterday I watched a swimming event where there were two Brittish guys in the race. Finishing something like 6th and 7th, neither won a medal but the BBC commentators talked not only the entire race but even after the finish just about the two Brittish guys. I remember a Japanese guys won, but not a single word was said about either him or the two other medalsits. :eek: :eek: Incredible!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
It's because TV executives think that people are STUPID and only want to hear about competitors from their own country. In actuality, of course, that is not the case. Thanks for letting us know that it's not only a problem in the U.S.! :eek:

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
Once again, I have to give kudos to our Canadian broadcasts. We are getting about 18 hours a day of coverage, and they are covering everything and everybody.
I know Canada isn't exactly strong at Summer Olympics, and so far these are turning out to be disastrous (what happened to our swimmers 19 events so far and NOT ONE pb....) thus not giving them much option, but they always do this. Even the fluff pieces are done on athletes from other countries.

I love Canadian coverage!

Canuck

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Canadians were potential medallists in many events, I am sure Canadian TV would spend more time on their own athletes in those events.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
It seems, though, that the requirement to be a diving commentator is an unbearable amount of shrillness in both the US and Canada. Luckily, unlike figure skating, turning on the "mute" button doesn't hurt at all.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Count me in as another who would like to see everthing. I was sort of peeved that they didn't show all of the women's gymnastics qualifications for Romania and China in particular. But, honestly, I want to see everything that the Americans are doing and I'm glad they are showing these events in their entirety. So, I'd like to see more comprehensive coverage, but I'm still having a ball watching the Games.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
sk8tngcanuck said:
Once again, I have to give kudos to our Canadian broadcasts. We are getting about 18 hours a day of coverage, and they are covering everything and everybody.
I know Canada isn't exactly strong at Summer Olympics, and so far these are turning out to be disastrous (what happened to our swimmers 19 events so far and NOT ONE pb....) thus not giving them much option, but they always do this. Even the fluff pieces are done on athletes from other countries.

I love Canadian coverage!

Canuck

yes, CBC is doing a great job. By the way, we did win a bronze medal today - women's syncro diving.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
berthes ghost said:
OK, thank God I have my choice between about 6 staions who are broadcasting the Olys, but what is up with Nationalism? I actually cought a little of the ladies gymnastics on Dutch TV. I mostly watch the BBC for language reasons, but as there are no UK gymnysts, they aren't showing any. Yesterday I watched a swimming event where there were two Brittish guys in the race. Finishing something like 6th and 7th, neither won a medal but the BBC commentators talked not only the entire race but even after the finish just about the two Brittish guys. I remember a Japanese guys won, but not a single word was said about either him or the two other medalsits. :eek: :eek: Incredible!

This surprises you? Nationalism is pretty much what the Olympics is about.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
chuckm said:
If Canadians were potential medallists in many events, I am sure Canadian TV would spend more time on their own athletes in those events.

Granted, Canada is not overly strong in Summer Olympics, BUT, our commentators have ALWAYS given the credit due to other countries. I have always been immensely impressed that overt nationalism doesn't show through on our CBC coverage.

I have the option of watching either Canadian or American channels, and I will choose the Canadian any day of the week. This goes for ALL sporting events, not just the Summer games.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Ladskater said:
This surprises you? Nationalism is pretty much what the Olympics is about.
No, this was really OTT. Can you imagine if the SLC pairs event had happened and Scott Hamilton only talked about I&Z and how they had a chance for bronze and how well they did and what mistakes they made, etc.. and didn't even mention B&S or S&P once. Well, considering what he did say, maybe this would have been preferable.
:laugh:

According to today's newspaper, these games are shaping up to be the least watched Olympics (in the U.S.) since Mexico City in 1968. Ratings for the opening ceremonies were down 12 per cent from Sydney, which itself had a comparatively low rating. Overall, the first three days were down 3 per cent.

Mathman

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
According to today's newspaper, these games are shaping up to be the least watched Olympics (in the U.S.) since Mexico City in 1968. Ratings for the opening ceremonies were down 12 per cent from Sydney, which itself had a comparatively low rating. Overall, the first three days were down 3 per cent.

Mathman

What a shame :( . I look forward to the Olympics, get so excited for the athletes, and really hate when they are over. OTOH there are lots of folks that just don't care :confused: :confused: :confused:....what's wrong with them, LOL? I think that there are some people who just don't get joy from seeing other people do well. It's like if it's not happening to me than why should I care? Sad, sad, sad.

Piel

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Piel said:
What a shame :( . I look forward to the Olympics, get so excited for the athletes, and really hate when they are over. OTOH there are lots of folks that just don't care :confused: :confused: :confused:....what's wrong with them, LOL? I think that there are some people who just don't get joy from seeing other people do well. It's like if it's not happening to me than why should I care? Sad, sad, sad.
I actually think it's more like why people don't vote. Most people that I talk to dismiss the Olys because they think it's full of cheaters and politically motivated results, and conspicuous consumption. There is not really any sense of the little guy triumphing, and I can kind of see their point. On the surface, the Olys could easily be dismissed as "Ice Wars: USA vs. USSR". :laugh:

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Doesn't happen here (Canada) so much. This morning they showed the gold medal softball game even though we weren't in it.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I wouldn't be too hard on those TV stations. They have to budget ahead of time what they are going to purchase the rights to. I recall how about 10 years ago, an Israili medalled in, I believe, ferncing (could be wrong); it turned out the athlete was from Massachusetts, and the broadcasters wanted to show the competition. Turned out even though they had the exclusive contract with the Olympic committee, they did not pay for that sport, and thus could not show it. All they could show was, I think, a 20-second clip the was provided free of charge.

I think NBC has done/is doing a job as best it can. It is in its interest to show what it thinks will make people tune in. It does show many events on it's affiliate stations. So if you like Archery, Fencing and Equestrian, they are being shown.

It's sad to see that ratings are down. That will just make the powers to be to figure out why and take what they see as necessary action.

What will NBC do with Torino? Not all those sports are 'must see' sports in the US and I think in other countries too. As for figure skating, how much interest ABC can generate for the Pre-Oly Worlds and the ensuing GP events will determine if the casual skating fan returns to watch the Olys without any controversies, and without silly gimmics.

Joe

Antilles

Medalist
Actually, the ratings are now blowing away Sydney's coverage. They started slow, but have really picked up. I read that in an article a couple of hours ago, but I don't remember where at this moment.

While I do give big kudos to the CBC, Canadian announcers do often have a Canadian bias (especially the figure skating ones). It just seems natural to cheer on one's own country. I don't always favour Canadians, so I find it a little annoying, but I've learned to deal with it. Every country does it. I am glad to be getting so much coverage. Unfotunately, work gets in the way of my Olympic schedule. ;)

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I've been watching part of the Olympics down here on a couple of Mexican stations, as well as on NBC; sometimes they show things that NBC won't show. The other night they were showing the Women's Platform Diving final and they showed EVERY diver in the final 12 at least once -- except, interestingly enough, for Laura Wilkinson and Sara Hildebrand, the 2 Americans, who they did not show at all. Not even ONCE. I'm not sure what to make of this..... :confused:

I've been pleasantly surprised by the US commentators--usually known for their boosterism--at the equal amount of praise and criticism given to athletes from various other countries. Most of the US commentators I've seen seem to actually be commenting on the execution rather than the athletes' country or politics--what a concept! I especially noticed this in gymnastics, wrestling, diving, and swimming (haven't seen as much track and field yet).

Just take gymnastics, for example. Sure Elfie, Tim, and Al went nuts when a US gymnast nailed his/her routine, but they were equally thrilled by stunning routines by gymnasts from other countries, even if they were in a head-to-head rivalry with a US gymnast. Same in diving and swimming. It made the events so much more enjoyable for me because they pointed out what each athlete did exceptionally well, or poorly, so I felt as if I truly gained insight into each athlete's approach and what s/he did.

So here's one for the team! The US/NBC commentating team. So far, so good.
Rgirl