2017 Jr Worlds Mens SP | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2017 Jr Worlds Mens SP

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
If only we could ship off all the guys with nice SS but jump issues to ice dance. Then the men's SP at Worlds would be much shorter but ice dance would become shark infested waters.

Sometimes junior skaters need time to work through injuries, puberty, etc. If we dismissed everyone so quickly then we wouldn't get someone like Javier Fernandez becoming a World Champion.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Good grief, what were the judges smoking? Such political scoring. No way should Samarin and Petrov be receiving such high PCS. Neither are that good in choreo nor interpretation. Samarin in particular is mostly a jumper with no artistic sensibilities whatsoever. Plus Samarin had an error in the sp, and should have been behind Zhou in the sp. Petrov is not known to be a quad jumper, so why so much top credit in the sp? Wrong, wrong, wrong! I also feel Jun Hwan Cha should have been first in the sp, and Aliev in second, with Zhou in third. Overly high PCS for Aliev who wasn't at his best in the sp even though he skated clean.

It's sad that Samarin even made the podium just because he can jump and he is way over-scored on PCS in both programs. Such political scoring. I'm glad that Zhou ultimately pulled out a win over the over-scored Russians.

I still have to take a look at the fp, but I have already seen the standings in the fp. Daniel Samohin made mistakes in the sp, so he must have maxed out his quad arsenal in the fp to pull up. Still even Samohin's PCS are off-base. Samohin does not have great presentation skills -- he skates rather stiffly.

Kevin Aymoz has nice style. And of the lower ranked skaters, I enjoyed Graham Newberry, Sihyeong Lee, Sondre Oddvoll Boe, Rizzo, and Krasnozhon. I think that Nadeau and Sadovsky should have had higher PCS than Samarin and Petrov because the Canadians are both much better stylistically than Samarin and Petrov. It looks like Nic and Roman though had problems in their fps. That's too bad.

Sad also to see young Andrew Torgashev throw so many brain farts in the sp and fail to qualify for the fp. Maybe it's too much with his parents coaching him. Andrew also needs much better music choices for next season.

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
Wow, reading over some of the comments, a lot of posters here seem to like Samarin. IMO, he skates over the music and he's awkward looking as he jerks and turns around the ice. He does not interpret the music well either. That was just a lot of frenzied over-emoting, which does not mean you have good skating skills.

Petrov is a bit better presentation-wise than Samarin at this point, but still not any great shakes artistically. And although Petrov is generally a consistent jumper, he's not known to be a quadster, so why is he rated so highly, particularly when he is not a stand-out artistically (despite a bit of improvement in his style-o-meter)? The answer has to be politics or his relative veteran status in junior ranks (not to mention 'skating while Russian').

Last edited:

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Nicolas is such a showman, i love it!! and that 3A :love: needs to work on spins though but i can forgive him when he smiles like that:luv17::biggrin:

Oh, he's such a charmer, isn't he? *swoons* His triple Axel is tall and gorgeous, just like he is! :biggrin: I agree that Nic should improve his spins. That beaming smile of his is irresistible! :luv17: I think that might just be my favourite physical feature of his.

And both reported that they injured themselves practicing quad loops.

Actually, in Nadeau's case, it was a quad toe that caused his ankle injury.