Yagudin: "I am dying from boredom skating in the shows& | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yagudin: "I am dying from boredom skating in the shows&

B

berthes ghost

Re: Yagudin: "I am dying from boredom skating in the sh

"I hadn't thought about that, but you make a very good point. When a person had paid BIG BUCKS to see their favorite skater (or any kind of entertainer) perform, you don't really want to hear that person say that s/he finds performing for you boring and that s/he hates it. "

The quote is from a Moscow paper in Russian. I doubt that many Russians are going to pay to fly all the way to the US or Canada just to see him in SOI. I also doubt that most of the people that go to SOI read Russian papers from Moscow.

To me, the comment was clearly a device to appeal to his Russian fans to not forget him or think that he has sold out and is only interested in NA shows. He's trying to maintain fan interst back at home by dangling the carrot that he will still represent his country in international events, IMHO.

I think that someone hit the nail on the head before when they posted that the Russian skaters talk to the Russian press thinking that it is limited readership and don't realise yet that it's being bradcast all over the web, with or without translation misunderstandings.

B

berthes ghost

Re: Christy Whitman

Just to add one more thing:

I think that skaters like Yags have to walk a PR tightrope. They have to ingratiate themselves to the NA audience because they have to tour here (major income) as well as live and train here. At the same time, they have to placate thier home audience so that they are not forgotten, thought of as a traitor, and/or pushed aside for other skater who still live an train in their home country.

It's like spinning plates while walking a tightrope, one is hard enough as it is, but doing both at the same time is awesome. No wonder a few plates get broken once in while. :lol:

J

Jaana

Re: Yagudin´s words

Yagudin (who visits Internet very much, I have been told) and also other Russian skaters know that their Russian interviews get translated and will spread all over the Internet for all skating fans to be able to read them. There are no excuses although Yagudin was giving this interview for the Russian press, he just shows bad judgment with his words. There could have been lots of other ways to tell his Russian fans in this interview that he wishes to compete and misses it very much.

In my opinion there are no excuses for his words "...I am dying from boredom skating in the shows". It is very, very bad and thoughtless for any skater to put down his audiences so much and his own work also! Well, if Yagudin is so much bored in skating at SOI, I hope that this was his last appearance in US tour for some time? As he loves and misses the competing so much, I wish him all the luck in continuing his eligible skating career in Europeans and Worlds next season!

Michelle is also a skater who is very much interested in competing, but has she or any other skater ever mentioned of the work they are doing, entertaining the audiences on tours, that they are bored to death with it? During the years I have understood that Michelle for example loves her audiences and loves to perform to her show audiences as well.

Marjaana

S

Sally1214

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Yagudin (who visits Internet very much, I have been told) and also other Russian skaters know that their Russian interviews get translated and will spread all over the Internet for all skating fans to be able to read them.[/quote]

Of course they do!! Alexei Yagudin is very Internet-savy and would know perfectly well that this interview would be translated and read by NA skating fans. He's already seen his interviews given to Russian publications translated on the Internet time and time again.

CSOI visits Halifax next week. I've already run into one lady (in line at the grocery store , where else?!) who told me she was going to see the show ... and then, added: "I really wish Alexei Yagudin hadn't told us in that interview on the 'Net that he was so bored and hated performing for us." Hmmm ....

I repeat ... the <em>timing</em> of Alexei's comments was unfortunate.

Sally

P

Pather2000

<em>DEE4707. Thanks, but people I guess want a Soul less person. Funny thing is. I have said it before & will say it again. Real Skating fans aren't stupid. They how much he wants to be on that Ice with all the other skaters fighting for that Top Medal. But, Touring is what for him this season, he can train only for so much one day & then do the show. & the Next day or two from what I read. He can't train at all. Only do the shows. Hence, his board just sitting around wathing the other skaters. The other skaters are rehearsing & what not. At least twice a day( i think) & He gets to sit on the side line & watch. That must be so much fun for him. :rolleyes:

Jules & Joseitz Here Here

I just wish that if Alexei needs surgery. Then, he do it & get it overwith. So he can start to heal & get back into the swing of things. But, From what I have read about his condition. Without the surgery. He will only end up back in the same place. In Pain & hurt. He is resting somewhat now, while tourning. Meaning, Not Really training on his quads alot & limiting his jumps.

But, If & when he gets back to regular skating. You know that he will go all out to get back into skating shape. But, the injury will always be in the back of his mind. But, like he stated last fall. He just skates like it is his last skate all the time. Giving it his all.

From some of the post here people make it sound like his is just flopping around out there on just puting out the least that he can while collecting his money.;)

Alexei is Very Well LOVED here in North America & being that Same in Japan, France, Germany & Other places. Russia Yes, But is made out to be a traitor for moving to the USA. He has major fans there. But, the media there always seem to try to make him the bad guy. They even stated at the start of last season. At a Press Conf. of of Mishins buddy. Came out & said that Alexei injury was flase. in other words Calling alexei a Liar. Again, trying to make him the bad guy. So, will the Skating fans all of a sudden stop loving this guy. NO.:D
They know that unlike others who won the GOLD & Bailed out for the Big Bucks.He still wants compete & Hopefully make it to 2006.

Alexei & Michelle puts buts in the Seats. They both love to Compete for the thrill to themselves & their fans. & Their Fans WOLRD WIDE know this. Only Bashers seem to have a problem with whatever they do. From Alexei routing for Michelle over Irina at the SLC games & again, Routing for Sasha ( his Stable mate with TT) & Michelle ( always routes for her) at the Recent worlds, the Traitor. & the Michelle Bashers, Why don't she retire already so the younger skaters could win, or how she can't or shouldn't win because, she did not do a 3/3:rolleyes: .

But, Michelle is One Kind of Person. & God Bless her & says what she feels at that time.
& Alexei is Another type of Person. & GOD Bless him Also.

Someone Mentioned Alexei & tara Cuddling on the Tour Bus. >D Um, hell No. Lets not even go there;)

</em>

D

dizzydi7

Panther2000,

Figureskating Fans--go figure! Well the skaters can't win for losing. If a skater says what they feel, they are criticized (as the case with Yagudin). If they reply in a robotic manner with standarized phrases (like Kwan), they are criticized.

The critics of any particular skater are always fans of their competitor. So......I give little value to the fan's comments about Yagudin's statement. For one thing, the press is always looking for sensationalistic comments. Anything they can quote to cause controversy and sell copy. I'm quite certain that Yagudin was voicing a preference for competition as opposed to show skating. I believe it's as simple as that.

You see, I think Yagudin is by far, the best eligible male single skater on the planet. This is, of course, my opinion and really not important to anyone but me. With Pleshenko now donning the World Champion title, Yagudin has become a target being the Olympic Champion. I see the same thing happening with Sarah Hughes. As Olympic champions, anything they say or do is blown out of proportion.

Dizzy

P

Patinaje

Re: Yagudin interview

I understand that when we talk skating we tend to generalize, otherwise posts will be of unlimited lenght, but one thing that keeps coming up often, when talking about Alexei is to applaude his choice of stay elegible and willing to compete, instead of just turning pro to "cash-in".

I had no time to research biographies of past Olimpic Champs, much less to ask them directly, LOL, but I know of a few that found themselves in a similar situation as Yagudin is right now, (injured) and determined "in their particular case" that to keep competing wouldn't be a wise choice and thus turned pro.

That these skaters put their health before the chance to add to their medals collection, is something "I" applaude.

Maria

P

Pather2000

<em>Dizzy, I hear you on that. You can't win for losing. But, who cares. Like I state before Real Skating fans know what he meant & how he is. He is no robot. The guy speaks from his soul. Hence, we all know that he has one. I for one don't really care for the written out statements or prepared speeches that other give. Looks fake to me. As for Michelle's case. I see her has not being able to comeup with something to say to that question that they asked her. Case in Point; regarding either her world titles Or legend stattus, or how may national titles she has won. I can see that she ( Unlike alexie:lol: :lol: ) is actually shy to talk about herself in that way. Some people get bashful when praised to much. I find that lovable in her. Just As I find Alexei's Fire Lovable about him. I am sorry But I hardly belive the tale told on this board about some all of a sudden changing their mind about going to a show because alexei says that he gets board on tour. Otherwise, that person wasn't a true skating fan & not a fan of alexei to start with.

But, Like you said you can't win for losing. Some people had a problem with what Plush said about Timmy in an interview. I for one did not. He spoke the truth. Timmy skated great & I for 1 saw Major Major improvement in his SP. However, Unless Plush had a complete meltdown( which almost happen) Plush is just too far ahead of everyone there. His only competition is Alexei. I like Plush, I am not his biggest fan. But, I had no problem with what he said. But, it was alot closer than what Plush said it was. He did not run away with the title this year. But, that's not the point.

& I do agree with you. Alexei is the Best eligible male skater. Very Very SoulFul, Great Jumper, The Best Programs. But, alexei was a target as soon as all those 6.0's cameup at the SLC games. Notice how alot of the Footwork & Some types of programs you can see alexie influence in there this season.

The ones on top are always ciritized about everything. Sarah I wouldn't put her in the same category. She is olympic champ. But that is it. Alexei has miles on him. Both Good ( All the titles he has won over the years & his Long career) & bad( The 99 COI tour that he got booted from & his Cough Cough Drinking problem, which there wasn't one) They just did not want another Oksana on their hands. Sarah on the other hand just has the SLC games & Skate Canda or something from the season before last(2001).

The not winning for loosing winners are Alexei & Michelle. That is because, they both have been around for so long & still are winning to some other fans discuss. Hense, your bashing picksup.

But, to each their own. That is what fans do. But the embelshes(sp) that cracks me up.;) </em>

J

Jaana

Yagudin dying from boredom skating in the shows

><em>Alexei routing for Michelle over Irina at the SLC games</em>>

Yes, I have understood that something like that happened. That is of course nice if it was without ulteriour motives, so to speak, LOL. It of course got noticed and was very much appreciated by US skating fans, and by some others it could be seen as the lack of team-sprit. BTW, I wonder how these US fans had taken if we would have been shown for example Todd E. rooting for Irina and not Michelle, LOL? Anyway, later according to IFS Magazine Yagudin had a problem with Michelle closing the COI show, didn´t he he use the word "disrespectful" in that connection? That makes me wonder a bit cynically, how sincere his admiration towards Michelle actually is...? JMHO.

><em>He is no robot. The guy speaks from his soul. Hence, we all know that he has one.</em>>

Actually, I believe that every human being has a soul. I don´t think thoughtless remarks are needed as a prove, are they? Personally I see them as a prove of something else, LOL.

><em>The ones on top are always ciritized about everything.</em>>

Isn´t it rather so that skaters giving certain kind of remarks (would thoughtless be the right word?) get critized? There has been lots of comments about Kurt´s recent remarks, Weiss often gets his share of negative comments about his interviews, etc. So, why should there not be comments about Yagudin as well, especially as he himself so amply gives the reason for them, LOL?

> I had no time to research biographies of past Olimpic Champs, much less to ask them directly, LOL, but I know of a few that found themselves in a similar situation as Yagudin is right now, (injured) and determined "in their particular case" that to keep competing wouldn't be a wise choice and thus turned pro.

That these skaters put their health before the chance to add to their medals collection, is something "I" applaude.>

Yes, Maria, I applaude for those decisions also!

Marjaana

P

Pather2000

<em>Patinage. I too stand up & Cheer those who did not retire. But, in alexei case. His health comes ( or should) come 1st. otherwise, he won't make it to 2006.</em>

D

Dee4707

Re: Yagudin dying from boredom skating in the shows

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>So, why should there not be comments about Yagudin as well, especially as he himself so amply gives the reason for them, LOL[/quote]
I, for one, think we are at a disadvantage here. The article that started this whole topic is written in Russian and we are relying on the translation of it. I cannot read Russian so I have to believe what was translated------not for one minute!!! Some of the other people that were cited about their remarks, their articles are written in English and I read into those what I want, or what I want to think. Just my opinon.

Dee

J

Jaana

Yagudin and his comments

Dee, before this Russian article Yagudin got critized for his Michelle comment in IFS Magazine, didn´t he, LOL? I suppose that it was not fair for skating fans to make comments about that, because that article was not in Russian, his native language? Yagudin is a very colourful, blunt person apparently, he makes all kinds of comments, always has, and probably always will. So, making comments about his comments will also continue, LOL. Didn´t he himself in some past interview use the expression that he has a big mouth?

Marjaana

D

Dee4707

Re: Yagudin and his comments

Marjaana, for one thing, I don't think that Alexei was even referring to Michelle in his comment. Are we going to dredge up everything he did, now???? I specifically was referring to the current topic that was translated.

Dee

J

Jaana

Re: Yagudin and his comments

>Marjaana, for one thing, I don't think that Alexei was even referring to Michelle in his comment. >

Dee, he did not refer to Michelle when there is written:

Yagudin wonders why Michelle Kwan, who is not a CMM client but has been with Champions on Ice for eight years, always closed the show. "If they're putting skaters in the order by the Olympics, then I was supposed to close the show, but that didn't happen. I didn't complain, but I thought it was a little disrespectful."

Who else was there to close the COI show who was not an Olympic gold medallist?

Marjaana

N

NansXOXOX

Re: Yagudin dying from boredom skating in the shows

I know I'm going to regret this as I seem to have missed getting the "Open Season on Yagudin" memo so many others seem to have received, but here goes.

Alexei "rooting" for Michelle happened during a live interview (on CNN, I believe) by a woman who seemed to have as little knowledge of time delay (she was in the studio and he was sitting somewhere outside in the wind in Salt Lake City, she kept verbally stepping on his answers before he had a chance to finish hearing her questions and it created a lot of confusion), as she did of who she was talking to as she called Alexei "Evgeny" during the interview.

When asked who he thought was the favorite to take gold in the women's event, Alexei responded that he thought Michelle was. The reporter then asked if he wouldn't be unpopular in "Russia House" for saying that and Alexei responded that he liked both women and thought both skated very well and it was just a matter of who skated best that night. (there's that "dammed if you do, dammed if you don't" situation!)

As far as the "disrespectful" comment in IFS magazine goes, it was preceded by the words "a little," as in "a little disrespectful," and was directed at whoever decided the line-up of performances at COI, not Michelle.

I don't think anyone expects Yagudin to be exempt from criticism, just not given more than his "fair share," just like everyone else.

Nan (zipping up her flame retardant suit)

R

Russian Fan

Translation

Dee wrote:
>I, for one, think we are at a disadvantage here. The article
>that started this whole topic is written in Russian and we
>are relying on the translation of it. I cannot read Russian so >I have to believe what was translated------not for one >
>minute!!!

Yes, I translated and posted this article. And I am not going to sit calm when I am being reprimanded for that.
If you think I have cheated with translation ask other Russian speaking people here on the forum whether I was correct. I find it quite insulting when comments like that are being posted. With comments like that, trust me, it's the last time I am translating anything and posting it here. And I thought that by posting those translations I add something of interest here on this forum. How naive of me!

In fact, Yagudin used the verb "podyhayu" (and this also was in the title of the article) which has the same general meaning as "dying" but is much more colorful and somewhat rude, and means that the process of dying is really miserable.

So the name of this topic in its full meaning would be "I am dying miserably from boredom skating in the shows".

:evil:

D

DORISPULASKI

Re: Translation

Russian fan, I find your translations one of the key reasons I read this forum. I don't speak Russian. And as far as I am concerned, babelfish doesn't speak Russian either.

And the Russian press does a lot more real life (rather than canned mutual appreciation society interviews) interviews with skaters than we get here in US.

I am very, very gragteful for your translations. Yes it is a risk to translate. But it is also a risk to have an opinion. Either way people get on your back when it is about Plushenko or Yagudin. One way or the other!

dpp

R

Russian Fan

Translation

This particular article must be purchased from www.kommersant.ru Website since it's older than 7 days.

The title of the article in Russian is "V shou ya podyhayu ot skuki" which literally translates as "In the show I am dying miserably from boredom". Since meaning of literal translation "in the show" for English speaking people might be a bit vague, I added "skating" because this is what Yagudin means when he later says "opostylevshaya rabota v show" which can be translated as "working in the show [i.e skating], I dislike [or hate, or am fed up with, or extremely tired of and thus dislike] so much".
"Opostylevshaya" is a somewhat archaic and colorful word, and it's kinda funny that Yagudin is using it.

T

Truth Hurts2

i find it uttering appalling that some people here in this thread is criticizing russian fan for his/her opinions on the yagidin article. after all, this person is a NATIVE speaker of the language and thus is the 'better' assessor regarding the article's interpretation. apparently, it was quite a shockingly unpleasant reaction based on what yagudin stated IN RUSSIAN, i might add. who are we to judge that? do most of you even UNDERSTAND the original text? (and all its inuendos that only native speakers would pick up) keep in mind that the translation is not comparable to its russian counterpart. russian fan could only offer the translated version as most of us here on this forum would not be able to comprehend it otherwise. perhaps some of you would be nearly as disgusted about what yagudin said if you could read it in russian. who knows? don't jump to unfair conclusions please. :(

N

NancyH

Russian Fan - please let me join the posters who appreciate your efforts - I am always interested in your translations, especially since you are willing to explain to the rest of us the subtleties of many of the things said. Thank you very much.