2018 Pyeongchang Team Event- Points Table | Golden Skate

2018 Pyeongchang Team Event- Points Table

GF2445

Record Breaker
This page will keep you up to date with the Olympic Team Event Qualification. Please click the links below to view the standings.

The Olympic Figure Skating Team event gives skaters and couples from the ten strongest all-rounded figure skating nations, the unique opportunity to compete as a team, with the goal of coming out on top as the number one skating nation in the World. Each “Team” in the event consists of ONE (1) Man, ONE (1) Woman, ONE Pair (1M+1F=2), and ONE Ice Dance Couple (1M+1F=2) for a total of SIX (6) athletes. Each athlete must be qualified in the Individual Competitions (With the exception of “Additional Quota” Skaters). For a nation to be eligible to compete in the Figure Skating Team Event, that nation must be have Qualified skaters/couples in at least THREE different Olympic Figure Skating disciplines (Men's Singles, Ladies' Singles, Pairs, Ice Dancing).

A nation qualifies for the Figure Skating Team Event by earning “Qualification Points,” through ISU Championships, and ISU Grand Prix Events. These Qualification points are essentially world ranking points. World Ranking Points are awarded to Skaters/Couples who qualify for the free skate at an ISU championship, and top 8 finishes at Grand Prix events (Top 10 for Junior and Top 6 for the Senior Grand Prix Final. Junior Grand Prix Final results do not count towards the team event qualification). Each nation has the opportunity to earn qualification points in two stages.

1. The first stage is the 2016/17 ISU Championships Season (2017 World Figure Skating Championships, 2017 European Figure Skating Championships, 2017 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, 2017 World Junior Figure Skating Championships)

2. The second stage will be the 2017/18 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series (2017/18 Senior Grand Prix Series & Grand Prix Final, and 2017/18 Junior Grand Prix Series [Junior Grand Prix Final not counted]).

Ranking points earned at the 2017-8 Junior Grand Prix Final, 2017-18 Senior Internationals, 2017 ISU Challenger Series Events CANNOT count towards team event qualification.

Qualification Points
At each stage, the points from the results of a same nation's (1) Man, (1) Woman, (1) Pair Team, and (1) Ice Dance couple are taken and combined to form a total qualification score (This makes 4 scores each stage and 8 scores are taken overall). The points that contribute to the score are:

The points earned by the nation's Skater/Couple at the highest level event. E.g. If points were earned at Four Continents and Worlds, the points earned at worlds will count, even if the amount of points earned at Four Continents was more than Worlds, because Worlds is a higher level event.

Standings

Overall Standings*

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EHPb3Pikjli9ibybrTjSbmiJScvM7_t-KtT3OYNTMII/edit?usp=sharing

FIRST Qualification stage (The 2016-17 ISU Championships)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12LCnBBQsSpKGN5RT_hj24skoX6aq4xMcjW453oUyqzc/edit?usp=sharing

SECOND Qualification stage (2017-18 ISU Grand Prix)*

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e3jXwqj4q3ftj4bDbNnKI8N0aFGyO70jFz95T5LESZg/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Suprised to see Spain in top 10 teams. :eeking: Question: what if there won't be 10 teams who have qualified spots in at least 3 disciplines?

GF2445

Record Breaker
Suprised to see Spain in top 10 teams. :eeking: Question: what if there won't be 10 teams who have qualified spots in at least 3 disciplines?

The rules are not clear, but it seems that if there are less than ten nations in three disciplines, there will probably be less than 10 teams competing. OR thie ISU will need to send out another communication to clarify.

yuzushenko

On the Ice
kind of confused about the team makeup
you said 1 man, 1 woman, 1 pair team, 1 dance team

but didn't ashley and gracie win a bronze team event medal at the olympics in 2014?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
kind of confused about the team makeup
you said 1 man, 1 woman, 1 pair team, 1 dance team

but didn't ashley and gracie win a bronze team event medal at the olympics in 2014?

Yes, because if a country has multiple skaters, they can substitute in up to two events between the SP and the LP. The US chose to use Ashley and Jeremy for the SPs, then substituted them for Gracie and Jason for the FS.

If, by some miracle, Australia made the FS in the team event, we would not get that choice - the same skaters would have to do the FS as did the SP.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yes, because if a country has multiple skaters, they can substitute in up to two events between the SP and the LP. The US chose to use Ashley and Jeremy for the SPs, then substituted them for Gracie and Jason for the FS.

If, by some miracle, Australia made the FS in the team event, we would not get that choice - the same skaters would have to do the FS as did the SP.

I don't think it needs a miracle for Australia to qualify.

I wouldn't be surprised if Spain and/or Germany decided not to participate to save their front runners for their individual events.... and then, Israel doesn't seem to have a lady? Or do they have one who just didn't yet earn points?

So Australia depends on the decision/eligibility of two teams but they are next in line.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
So Australia depends on the decision/eligibility of two teams but they are next in line.

But for now Australia ongly got spot in Men, so not eligible for team event yet. they will have to fight in Nebelhorn for another two spots, and while I think Pairs are very possile, there iwll be many Ladies and ID teams (including Coomes/Buckland) to fight for that spot that are left.

Nathan13

Medalist

I wouldn't be surprised if Spain and/or Germany decided not to participate to save their front runners for their individual events.... and then, Israel doesn't seem to have a lady? Or do they have one who just didn't yet earn points?

Israel has Aimee Buchanan, who finished 31st at Euros, but I dont think she had the minimum for Worlds...We'll see what she can do next year to qualify.

Andrea82

Medalist

Karne meant a miracle to reach the FS. Only top 5 after SP go to FS. So yes, Australia needs a miracle to get in top 5.

As for qualifying to the Olympic team event, I agree that Spain and Israel aren't likely to qualify in a third event, so they should be out. Out of the rest, I agree Australia is the only one with a fairy chance to get spots in 3 events. I believe pairs is highly likely (final 4 spots should likely be down to 4 out those 5 IMO: Czech Rep, Australia, North Korea, Japan and Austria) and if France leaves their second spot vacant, they are 99% certain barring injuries at Nebelhorn. Lady is a possibility. On 2017 Worlds results she would have made it. But I would rate it as a strong possibility but not as 100% sure.
They won't qualify a spot for Ice Dance.

As for Germany, I can see them not fielding Aliona/Bruno for the Team Event but they should take part with their second entry as they have 2 spots in pairs. Man, woman and ice dance couple, whoever will be selected, are not medal contender. So they can take part here even if they get a bit tired.

Last edited:

Nathan13

Medalist
Is Alexandrovskaya's citizenship a factor in this at all? I know karne said that the lawyers were working on it, anybody have updates on the status? Surely a gold Junior World medal should speed up the process, right?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I agree that Australia is likely to be in IF they can qualify in two more events. Based on worlds results, pairs and ladies are quite attainable, though nothing is ever a sure thing.

Many on Golden Skate will be pulling for the Australian skaters at Nebelhorn, and I'm sure if they qualify for 2 more Olympic events we will all be able to hear Karne's screams of excitement.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Is Alexandrovskaya's citizenship a factor in this at all? I know karne said that the lawyers were working on it, anybody have updates on the status? Surely a gold Junior World medal should speed up the process, right?

The last I heard was they were expecting it to come through mid-year (July maybe?). I haven't heard anything more, hopefully the process has been accelerated a little by the JWC. Either way, I doubt it will be an issue.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

I started charting spots by country here

There probably will be enough teams with at least three disciplines. Right now, 5 countries have an entry in every discipline (Canada, Russia, USA, China, France) and 2 more have entries in 3 disciplines (Italy missing Men and Germany missing Ice Dance).

Japan, South Korea, Australia, Spain at the very least have the chance to qualify to get to at least 3 disciplines based on Worlds/JWs results.

Plus, the language of the Qualification Systems document is making me think. They specify that "If applicable, each NOC may benefit of this Additional Athletes Quota for
only one discipline of the Team event." This makes me think that the three discipline minimum is AFTER including the Additional Athletes Quota extras. Otherwise, why specify "only one discipline" when countries who qualified 3 disciplines would only need 1 AAQ entry by default? Thus, countries who qualified 2 disciplines but could get to 3 with an Additional Athletes Quota spot may be eligible, which would open the field up a bit more.

Caveat that the ISU isn't always clear with their language and I may be reading too much into it.

jdfay

Spectator
Hey, I found some errors in your scores. In pairs and ice dance competitions you don't count the score if they didn't advance to the free skate. So Japan for instance should be using the 4CC scores not the scores from the worlds.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Hey, I found some errors in your scores. In pairs and ice dance competitions you don't count the score if they didn't advance to the free skate. So Japan for instance should be using the 4CC scores not the scores from the worlds.

This was something i have been thinking for a while. I tried to see in the ISU doc if there was a rule which specified that, but i struggled reading the doc and have not been successful in locating the rule. If you know where i can find that rule, i would be grateful and I will change the scoring.

Thanks

jdfay

Spectator
This was something i have been thinking for a while. I tried to see in the ISU doc if there was a rule which specified that, but i struggled reading the doc and have not been successful in locating the rule. If you know where i can find that rule, i would be grateful and I will change the scoring.

Thanks

I don't have a link to the rule, but look here: http://static.isu.org/media/496058/wtt2017_qualificationstandings-afterwc2017details_17-04-01.pdf. I can't think of a reason that the team score rules would differ from the Olympics to the World Championships, but the competitions are moderately different so I apologize if I am incorrect in my assumption.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I don't have a link to the rule, but look here: http://static.isu.org/media/496058/wtt2017_qualificationstandings-afterwc2017details_17-04-01.pdf. I can't think of a reason that the team score rules would differ from the Olympics to the World Championships, but the competitions are moderately different so I apologize if I am incorrect in my assumption.

No No. You bring up a really important point that the ISU do failed to clarify. Thank your for that.
It's just that all the team events that the ISU has sanctioned have different qualification systems.
I will need to see if there is a document somewhere for the Sochi Team event, to find which precedent was set. I will reply to your post when I get an answer.

Last edited: