2017 Irish Nationals, 19th - 21st March | Golden Skate

2017 Irish Nationals, 19th - 21st March

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The Irish Championships will be held in London in just over a week's time.

Name: 2017 Irish Figure Skating Championships

Date: 19[SUP]th[/SUP] – 21[SUP]st[/SUP] March 2017

Venue: Lee Valley Ice Centre, London, England

ISAI Communication No. 4: https://isai.ie/attachments/ISAI Communication No.4.pdf

Announcement: https://isai.ie/attachments/Irish FS National Championship 2017.pdf

Index: https://isai.ie/events/142/Irish-Figure-Skating-Championships-2017

As with last year, the Irish Championships are being held in conjunction with the IJS Skate Southern competition.

I am afraid that there is not a big field at all. Only 2 categories have more than one entry.

Entries
Senior Men Conor Stakelum
Junior Men Sam McAllister
Junior Ladies Ciara Hoey
Advanced Novice Ladies Elizabeth Golding
Basic Novice B Ladies Grace Hegarty
Sophia Tkacheva
National Gold Girls Laura Hegarty
Aoibhe Hennigan
National Silver Boys Kevin Hegarty

It is very noticable that 2 of the reigning Champions are missing - Clara Peters (Senior Ladies) and Alex Bowker Lonnecker (Advanced Novice Men).

Other than that, everybody that was competing at last year's Nationals is back. And there are four younger skaters joining them.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Entries
Senior Men Conor Stakelum
Junior Men Sam McAllister
Junior Ladies Ciara Hoey
Advanced Novice Ladies Elizabeth Golding
Basic Novice B Ladies Grace Hegarty
Sophia Tkacheva
National Gold Girls Laura Hegarty
Aoibhe Hennigan
National Silver Boys Kevin Hegarty
I'm sorry, but I can't handle my laugh :laugh2:

While you are growing up a new figure skating generation, I think you definitely should ask Russia or Japan to share some of their skaters. :)

Btw, it's nice to see the figure skating family in the participants list: Grace Hegarty, Laura Hegarty and Kevin Hegarty. :)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm sorry, but I can't handle my laugh :laugh2:

While you are growing up a new figure skating generation, I think you definitely should ask Russia or Japan to share some of their skaters. :)

Btw, it's nice to see the figure skating family in the participants list: Grace Hegarty, Laura Hegarty and Kevin Hegarty. :)

Cool! :cool: I never even realised that they were related! :slink:

(A symptom of me not paying much attention to anything younger than Novice...)

I totally agree that the Irish team could be doing with the odd Russian or Japanese skater. Hence my marrying spree in the Crazy Future Predictions thread. ;) :biggrin:

It is even more urgent now that it seems that Clara Peters has disappeared. The last I heard Clara was looking to do Pairs this season but, because she couldn't find a partner, she was named in the Singles team at the start of the season. But, since the last results I can find for her are from the Coupe de Printemps at the end of last season, I take it that means she hasn't competed this season after all.

I suppose things would look brighter if Fianait Bligh was still duking it out with Ciara Hoey, and they were pushing each other forwards. But, I doubt if we will ever see Fianait competing in the Irish Championships again.

Speaking of whom, there have been a couple of developments in that sorry saga over the past few months. So, I suppose here would be a good place to update you all.

Right, a quick re-cap. Back in 2015, Bligh and Hoey were competing in Junior Ladies. And they were very well matched. Come Nationals, it was close, but Hoey won the title in the end. And, consequently, she got the international assignments.

Bligh then took legal action against the ISAI for not being assigned anything. And she lost the case. Here is how the Irish Times reported it:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...uiring-her-selection-for-irish-team-1.2296555

Fast forward to autumn 2016, and there was another court hearing. This time the ISAI's insurers were suing Bligh for the costs that they incurred due to her original action. Here is an inteview with her in the Irish Independent in the run-up to the hearing:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...ook-high-profile-case-faces-ban-35164150.html

As the following story in the Irish Examiner tells us, she was ordered to cover the costs:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/skater-faces-hefty-bill-for-court-action-430749.html

So, she is well up the creek without a paddle.

If you ask me, it was very foolish to go down the legal route. There was no guarantee that it would get her the assignments she craved, but every guarantee that it would burn all bridges between her and the Federation.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
What ever happened to Brona Nic Gabhann?

Don't know. Rink Results and Stats On Ice both have nothing for her past the 2014 Challenge Cup.

But, it's only in the past season or two that I started paying any attention to age levels lower than Senior.

Useless piece of information time - Brona's surname, "Nic Gabhann", is the Irish version of the English surname "Smith".

And I have no idea how that came about! They sound nothing like each other! :drama:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just to let you know that the ISAI have now put up a page containing information about the Irish Championships:

https://isai.ie/events/142/Irish-Figure-Skating-Championships-2017

There is a list of entries, a location map and a whole pile of links to PDF's. The first PDF is the ISAI communication about the Championships, while the second is the Announcement that is linked to in the Original Post above.

The rest of them are start order PDF's. Which, when you think of it, are pretty unnecessary, given that most of the categories have only one entry.

But, I suppose if you make PDF's for 2 categories, you have to make them for them all.

Unfortunately, there is no sign of a link to an Entries / Results Page. But, there wasn't an Entries / Results Page last season or the season before, so I am not holding my breath that there will be one this season.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Several photos and Results now posted on Twitter at the official account.

https://twitter.com/IceSkateIRL/status/844220152564596736

BTW I asked why the event not being held at Dundonald Rink in NI, and the reply was that it's cheaper as Skate Southern is already taking place at Lee Valley.

Plus the skaters train overseas so easier to travel to London...... :confused2:

Sheffield and Dundee hardly miles overseas......Probably cost the priority.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Several photos and Results now posted on Twitter at the official account.

https://twitter.com/IceSkateIRL/status/844220152564596736

BTW I asked why the event not being held at Dundonald Rink in NI, and the reply was that it's cheaper as Skate Southern is already taking place at Lee Valley.

Plus the skaters train overseas so easier to travel to London...... :confused2:

Sheffield and Dundee hardly miles overseas......Probably cost the priority.

Thanks for asking.

Yeah, I suppose London is handy to get to for those that don't actually train in Ireland. But, it is the younger ones that do that I feel sorry for. Like, they have to travel, and they wouldn't be have as many family or supporters along with them as they would if they were at home.

But, I understand the attractiveness of piggy-backing onto another event. Cut the costs for both sets of organisers.

Hey, it's just a pity that the Northern Ireland Championships aren't held any more, or the two championships could be held together. I'm not sure when they were last held, but Tameron Drake still has the Junior Ladies trophy. And it's a good 10 years since she switched to Ice Dance.

Judging by the Twitter pics, the Hegarty's​ must be siblings, as all look very similar!

puremagic suspected the same.

And did you see the photo of Sam McAllister with Margaret O’Neill and Ciara Hoey? Hadn’t seen a photo of them together before, but you would just know Sam was Margaret’s son! They are so alike!

Thank you!!! :bow: :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

Since there seems to be no sign of an Entries / Results Page appearing, I have taken the scores from the report and put them into tables below for handiness.

Senior Men

NameNationSPFSOverall
Pl.TSSPl.TSSPl.Points
Conor STAKELUM1

Junior Men

NameNationSPFSOverall
Pl.TSSPl.TSSPl.Points
Sam MCALLISTER1

Junior Ladies

NameNationSPFSOverall
Pl.TSSPl.TSSPl.Points
Ciara HOEY1

Advanced Novice Ladies

NameNationSPFSOverall
Pl.TSSPl.TSSPl.Points
Elizabeth GOLDING1

Basic Novice Ladies

NameNationFSOverall
Pl.TSSPl.Points
Sophia TKACHEVA1
Grace HEGARTY210.81210.81

National Gold Ladies

NameNationFSOverall
Pl.TSSPl.Points
Aoibhe HENNIGAN1
Laura HEGARTY216.64216.64

National Silver Men

NameNationFSOverall
Pl.TSSPl.Points
Kevin HEGARTY1

:cheer: CONGRATULATIONS EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Skate Southern International

Entries / Results Page: http://www.icephoto.co.uk/SS1703/

Some of the Irish skaters also took part in the Skate Southern competitions since they were already at the Lee Valley Ice Centre. So, here is how they got on.

ANLU15 Advanced Novice Ladies

Name
NationSP
FSOverall
Pl.TSS
Pl.
TSSPl.Points
Elizabeth GOLDING8

ANLU15 Advanced Novice Ladies SP: Results; Protocols
ANLU15 Advanced Novice Ladies FS: Results; Protocols

For some reason, they do not have a page for the overall results table! So, I had to add the points together and work out the positions myself.

So, since I made the table out anyway, I thought I should share it:

Name
NationSP
FS
Overall
Pl.TSSPl.TSS
Pl.Points
Amy MORRIS
GBR1
Molly ROBOTHAMGBR2
Alicia BOYERGBR627.31447.97375.28
Halah THOMASGBR527.41547.76475.17
Abigail LIEWGBR926.77248.24575.01
Jasmine CRESSEYGBR7
Verity CARRUTHERSGBR3
Elizabeth GOLDINGIRE827.04744.99872.03
Katryna BIRGELAITELTU427.971040.03968.00
Kayla FRYGBR10
Chloe BALDWINGBR16
Lilly WILLIAMS-HOWELLGBR13
Charlotte SCHØNING CHUTJIANNOR1224.051435.901359.95
Zara ZAKIPOURGBR15
Alanis-Lilie PALMERGBR1720.891535.351556.24
Molly STACKHOUSEGBR1421.791732.101653.89
Margot ORANGEGBR1820.831831.201752.03
Ellie SIMSGBR2118.20
Cara MCCABEGBR1125.31
Jessica GILLGBR
Sophie HOLLOWAYGBR
Aurora BUSIELLOGBR
Serena YAUGBR23
Niamh MILLARGBR2414.9024

Right, back to the Irish results.

BNAL Basic Novice A Ladies under 13

NameNationFS
Overall
Pl.TSSPl.

BNAL Basic Novice A Ladies under 13 FS: Results; Protocols
BNAL Basic Novice A Ladies under 13: Results

L3L Level 3 Ladies

NameNation
FS
Overall
Pl.TSSPl.Points
Aoibhe HENNIGAN14

L3L Level 3 Ladies FS: Results; Protocols
L3L Level 3 Ladies: Results

BM Beginner Men

NameNationFS
Overall
Pl.
TSS
Pl.Points
Fineas NEDELEA11

BM Beginner Men FS: Results; Protocols
BM Beginner Men: Results

BL Beginner Ladies-age 8 & under

NameNationFS
Overall
Pl.TSSPl.Points
Justina TKACHEVA25

BL Beginner Ladies-age 8 & under FS: Results; Protocols
BL Beginner Ladies-age 8 & under: Results

:cheer: CONGRATULATIONS EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Good work there with the tables!

I think they hold them as separate events. I know in the Dance comps held at Lee Valley recently they awarded seperate medals for PD SD FD. Look out for Rei Yoshimoto next season in Junior Ladies. I hope NISA send her on some international assignments, hopefully a JGP if possible. Very promising skater from London.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Good work there with the tables!

Thanks. That's the format I use for the table of past results in the Fan Fests I run, and I decided to try it out on the results of the Cypriot Nationals last week. And since it worked well there, so I used it here too.

I think they hold them as separate events. I know in the Dance comps held at Lee Valley recently they awarded seperate medals for PD SD FD.

You are right. The ISAI released a report a couple of hours after I posted those tables, and in it they referred to Elizabeth Golding competing in 3 competitions (Advanced Novice SP; Advanced Novice FS; and Basic Novice A).

Here is the link:

https://isai.ie/news/126/Irish-Skaters-Compete-At-Skate-Southern

I like the idea of getting recognition for each segment, but I would prefer there being overall results as well.

Look out for Rei Yoshimoto next season in Junior Ladies. I hope NISA send her on some international assignments, hopefully a JGP if possible. Very promising skater from London.

Will do. I tend to like Japanese skaters, so in a way I hope she will have a similar style of skating.

So, England has a promising skater of Japanese heritage and Ireland has a couple of promising skaters of Russian/Belorussian heritage.

The future sounds good, doesn't it?! :agree: :biggrin:

Unfortunately, it will be a couple of years yet until the first of the Tkacheva sisters (Sophia) is old enough for Junior level. But, at least we should see Yoshimoto next season.

You know, this is the reason I love watching National Championships. And, to a certain extent, the Junior GP Series. Being able to spot promising skaters before everybody else discovers them.

So, thanks for the heads up, La Rhumba! :bow:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited: