2017 Jr Worlds Free Dance | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2017 Jr Worlds Free Dance

madison

Record Breaker
I mean it is after 3 am, but are you kidding me? She reminds me of a slightly less stiff Sinitsina. In fact their pairing reminds me somewhat of S/K, the only difference is Anthony seems to be much stronger on the lifts, he sometimes struggles with his twizzles. :bed:

Yes, I agree on that...

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I also liked very, very much a young Canadian team: D'Alessandro/Waddell. I think they skate very smoothly and have a great future. Any news about them? Will they compete in juniors next year?

Natalie & Bruce were 4th at Bavarian Open in advanced novice. They will have to skate as juniors nationally. I'm not sure if they're old enough to be out on the JGP.

gmyers

Record Breaker
But most of them have split ! And stepanova/Bukin are doing quite well, as I said in another thread, I think that a little something is missing (the sparks) and then they could be huge. 3 of these teams at least split 2/3 years after turning seniors, and it takes sometime YEARS for a time to establish one's name, even if you are a Junior champion. Step/Bukin were always beating P/C before, but when P/C found there own style it turned around. I don't have many more examples, but I will be honest : the russian "style" works well in juniors. Not as much in seniors.
Another example could be Hawayek/Baker too.
and some teams needs to understand that you have to be patient to climb up the ladder : D/W were, and worked like hell, and it got them OGM. It is very rare to win directly after turning seniors, it is Ice dance.

"Found their own style" after moving to Canada. They knew you had to move to North America. They didn't go to a Russia for a coach. No one really does that anymore. And it's not coincidence. Russia based coaches are not good. Too much involvement of clueless Russian federation. And this is hurting all the Russian teams. Russian teams like b/s and s/b still have Tarasova Involvement! What a horror. Tchaikovskaya is now in charge of S/k. Kustarova is in charge of I/z! And when s/k were in Detroit nothing good was accomplished because Russian federation made decisions.

I wish s/b moved to Canada before p/c did and Russian fed had no involvement with them.

"Russian style" in juniors or any style?! They are rewarding any style and now it's North American style most have adopted. Or zueva/spililband style. They created the template.

....because they weren't successful as seniors.

True. We don't really disagree. I'm just like how can parsons win with such an awful lift. I expected them to win. Was surprised how close l/d were but when parsons had that mistake and most judges didn't even acknowledge it. Shock.

Last edited:

madison

Record Breaker
Loboda is very sloppy... i don't really understand why she and her team don't work on that... their main problem is there...

auser

Record Breaker
Agree. It would make things a lot simpler for mixed nationality partnerships in Pairs and Dance, and the quality and quantity of the entries would soar, as we would see more Russians able to compete.

But, it ain't going to happen, because the system at the Olympics is country based. And I can't see them ever changing. So, as long as we want to remain an Olympic sport, we have to keep in line with what they do.

It's a shame, but that's the way it is.

CaroLiza_fan

If you could start viable professional skating leagues similar to ATP/WTA I would love to watch them :yahoo:. Plus, as much as I enjoy watching tennis events in the Olympic games, I think it is a bit of a cheat to have professional league players(eg ATP/WTA) participating when eligibility was made an issue of for figure skating previously.

Last edited:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
"Found their own style" after moving to Canada. They knew you had to move to North America. They didn't go to a Russia for a coach. No one really does that anymore. And it's not coincidence. Russia based coaches are not good. Too much involvement of clueless Russian federation. And this is hurting all the Russian teams. Russian teams like b/s and s/b still have Tarasova Involvement! What a horror. Tchaikovskaya is now in charge of S/k. Kustarova is in charge of I/z! And when s/k were in Detroit nothing good was accomplished because Russian federation made decisions.

Actually they followed their coach from Lyon, so I wouldn't say that you necessarily have to move up to NA to win... plus MF and Patrice were training in Lyon before too, so I would say that the location isn't the main issue. But a change of scenery can be needed I agree.
A lot of Russian coaches are based in Michigan (or in the US). But then again if you speak of "style" and "taste", I am not a big fan of Igor's choreo, or Marina's... all of that is subjective.
But when you talk about skating skills, Russian couples like to skate BIG, and when you are as good as Pavel it's very nice to watch, but for others it could come across as sloppy, and combined to the Russian style, it's just not doing it for me. But then again, it's how you've been teached your whole life, and it's hard to change...
I feel like I'm criticizing a lot the Russian couples, but no : when you have so many talents, you work like hell to keep them in contention. You don't have to follow everyone like a sheep, but still.
This is why I like S/S Skating Skills.

The way you skate tells a lot about where you're from and it's very interesting to compare skaters with this in mind.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I also liked very, very much a young Canadian team: D'Alessandro/Waddell. I think they skate very smoothly and have a great future. Any news about them? Will they compete in juniors next year?

ask Mango in the Canadian thread... i don't know them enough to answer.

olayolay

On the Ice
I mean it is after 3 am, but are you kidding me? She reminds me of a slightly less stiff Sinitsina. In fact their pairing reminds me somewhat of S/K, the only difference is Anthony seems to be much stronger on the lifts, he sometimes struggles with his twizzles. :bed:

Lol harsh but I see your point. C/P seem far more solid and less messy to me though (granted without the pressure of senior competition). Anthony in particular seems to be far less of an emotional head case than Nikita.

I guess I'm talking more generally about their look and style as a team. Young romance, gazing at each other lovingly, lyrical gushy programs. I kept thinking to myself during their FD that this was such an old era V/M program. Christina is less talented than Tessa at the same age for sure, but Anthony has phenomenal skating and partnering skills (not unlike a young Scott).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i would like to address the parsons lift gate issue here...

please keep in mind where it happened in the event. The Parsons had by far (and i have no bias, first time ever i watch a full competition of dance in juniors) the best FD of the night. It was gorgeous. Their first step sequence was clearly a strong level 4... etc... everything was spot on...

the lift was messy but still a relatively impressive rotational lift... yup.. they were looking for each other in there but they managed to execute it... with - 1 and -2 GOEs for the most part (some 0).. considering they would get +1 and +2 on there usually, the judges did their job... however, and i get back to the beginning of my post.. this was the last thing that happened to them in the FD, which had been stellar from the beginning... and IMHO it didn't affect the overall performance.

Keep in mind that levels and goes for all other elements were already awarded and were high...

it's not like when a team starts with their twizzles and mess them up and then suddenly they feel flat during the performance.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Actually they followed their coach from Lyon, so I wouldn't say that you necessarily have to move up to NA to win... plus MF and Patrice were training in Lyon before too, so I would say that the location isn't the main issue. But a change of scenery can be needed I agree.
A lot of Russian coaches are based in Michigan (or in the US). But then again if you speak of "style" and "taste", I am not a big fan of Igor's choreo, or Marina's... all of that is subjective.
But when you talk about skating skills, Russian couples like to skate BIG, and when you are as good as Pavel it's very nice to watch, but for others it could come across as sloppy, and combined to the Russian style, it's just not doing it for me. But then again, it's how you've been teached your whole life, and it's hard to change...
I feel like I'm criticizing a lot the Russian couples, but no : when you have so many talents, you work like hell to keep them in contention. You don't have to follow everyone like a sheep, but still.
This is why I like S/S Skating Skills.

The way you skate tells a lot about where you're from and it's very interesting to compare skaters with this in mind.

All the Russian coaches in North America- none of them do Russian style. I call it copying zueva spiliband North American style.

The criticism is totally valid! Russian couples are doing style and focusing on things that are wrong and lose all competions.

The skating skill teaching is now the only valid part of Russian school. But that's being neglected for the ladies! They are almost all style over substance. Looks over skating.

gmyers

Record Breaker
i would like to address the parsons lift gate issue here...

please keep in mind where it happened in the event. The Parsons had by far (and i have no bias, first time ever i watch a full competition of dance in juniors) the best FD of the night. It was gorgeous. Their first step sequence was clearly a strong level 4... etc... everything was spot on...

the lift was messy but still a relatively impressive rotational lift... yup.. they were looking for each other in there but they managed to execute it... with - 1 and -2 GOEs for the most part (some 0).. considering they would get +1 and +2 on there usually, the judges did their job... however, and i get back to the beginning of my post.. this was the last thing that happened to them in the FD, which had been stellar from the beginning... and IMHO it didn't affect the overall performance.

Keep in mind that levels and goes for all other elements were already awarded and were high...

it's not like when a team starts with their twizzles and mess them up and then suddenly they feel flat during the performance.

The judges went 5/4 nothing wrong with Parsons lift! One judge was even like "+1 we need more of those!" If a Russian Team did that -level 1. I know of big mistakes at end of great programs in the past! S/z 2010 lift made them lose free skate to p/t. Parsons not only didn't suffer but went from second to first overall!

matcha

Medalist
omg I missed it all. 😩 tg for video

So happy for the Parsons, what a way to end their junior career 💕

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
All the Russian coaches in North America- none of them do Russian style. I call it copying zueva spiliband North American style.

The criticism is totally valid! Russian couples are doing style and focusing on things that are wrong and lose all competions.

The skating skill teaching is now the only valid part of Russian school. But that's being neglected for the ladies! They are almost all style over substance. Looks over skating.

Oh yeah this is a problem. I don't know if they realise that the day one of their top ladies contenders will have great skating skills like patrick chan for the men, they will crack the world records. If this day happens, Russia will swallow the other countries in a blink. (Not that they are already haha)
This things are to be taught from the very beginning. They should train 2/3 hours per week for stroking, gliding... ice dancing really. It is not always about ballet.
Just imagine if Alina Zagitova was as good in SS as Marin Honda... We should melt them together to create the world's best skater ever.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
omg I missed it all. 😩 tg for video

So happy for the Parsons, what a way to end their junior career 💕

Talk about finishing with momentum ! so Happy for them !
Now I want them to skate to La La Land, because they can pull it off really well considerinf this year's FD :agree:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The judges went 5/4 nothing wrong with Parsons lift! One judge was even like "+1 we need more of those!" If a Russian Team did that -level 1. I know of big mistakes at end of great programs in the past! S/z 2010 lift made them lose free skate to p/t. Parsons not only didn't suffer but went from second to first overall!

oh please... complained about the Australians winning, now complaining about the Americans winning... will you complain if a Japanese girl wins the ladies?

I have given my opinion, you are welcome to disagree. I looked at the protocols and i do all the time... The judges marked the GOE way down on that lift, compared to the other elements they did... there is a huge range with +2 and - 2 and we saw it there... unfortunately, there is no - 4 or 5 or 6 for you.

Giselle

Medalist

C/P remind me a lot of Belbin/Agosto.

Congratulations to the Parsons!
I have to say I'm excited that all of the older teams (M/C, P/P and L/D) are forced to move up because I feel that they have been contenders for the podium for 3 years now. I can't wait to see the younger teams have a go at the title.

It will probably be between C/P and S/S for the gold medal. Christina needs to improve her posture and knee bend and S/S need to skate bigger.
Hopefully Polishchuk/Vakhnov and Green/Green will earn their first trip to Junior Worlds!

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Gah! I just positively conked out after yesterday's marathon. Glad to see the Parsons won. Didn't expect it to be so close. The ONE event I wanted to see live. Being a skating fan is HELL.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Gah! I just positively conked out after yesterday's marathon. Glad to see the Parsons won. Didn't expect it to be so close. The ONE event I wanted to see live. Being a skating fan is HELL.

i was wondering where you were...