2017 Jr Worlds Free Dance | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2017 Jr Worlds Free Dance

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well one good thing about this competition no more M/C or Parsons in Juniors ever!!! Not to be mean but it feels like a decade since there was a Junior competition without these teams. :shocked:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
i just got here...

got preoccupied with some stuff... but at this point in time, there is 15 minutes left to celebrate St-Pchiddy and I will do so....

Ungava premium gin (which is dark yellow so closest thing to green gin can be LOL), lime and rocks...

You look like a drinker for me. Please don't go this way! :drama: :biggrin:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lol harsh but I see your point. C/P seem far more solid and less messy to me though (granted without the pressure of senior competition). Anthony in particular seems to be far less of an emotional head case than Nikita.

I guess I'm talking more generally about their look and style as a team. Young romance, gazing at each other lovingly, lyrical gushy programs. I kept thinking to myself during their FD that this was such an old era V/M program. Christina is less talented than Tessa at the same age for sure, but Anthony has phenomenal skating and partnering skills (not unlike a young Scott).

People keep comparing C/P to these other teams but no one seems to realize that these kids are much younger then say S/K who are a mess and have no hope plus they have Igor as a coach and he won't let them slack off. He's the best in the business tech wise and Meryl when she was younger had a lot of things she needed to improve on too and she did. C/P just need to stay together and continue their improvements. One thing for sure they still won't be skating as Juniors when they are both 20 or 21.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Lol harsh but I see your point. C/P seem far more solid and less messy to me though (granted without the pressure of senior competition). Anthony in particular seems to be far less of an emotional head case than Nikita.

I guess I'm talking more generally about their look and style as a team. Young romance, gazing at each other lovingly, lyrical gushy programs. I kept thinking to myself during their FD that this was such an old era V/M program. Christina is less talented than Tessa at the same age for sure, but Anthony has phenomenal skating and partnering skills (not unlike a young Scott).

Oh, now I get you. Yes its a generic romantic program, and Anthony is very strong, but because their skating skills are so unbalanced, they remind me of S/K rather than V/M.

EDIT: Good morning y'all. After I had my cup and coffee and had a good talking to, and rewatched these performances, got to say the judges got it right!! Congrats to the medalists!!!

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
People keep comparing C/P to these other teams but no one seems to realize that these kids are much younger then say S/K who are a mess and have no hope plus they have Igor as a coach and he won't let them slack off. He's the best in the business tech wise and Meryl when she was younger had a lot of things she needed to improve on too and she did. C/P just need to stay together and continue their improvements. One thing for sure they still won't be skating as Juniors when they are both 20 or 21.

so, they should to think about change country.

Barb

Record Breaker
i would like to address the parsons lift gate issue here...

please keep in mind where it happened in the event. The Parsons had by far (and i have no bias, first time ever i watch a full competition of dance in juniors) the best FD of the night. It was gorgeous. Their first step sequence was clearly a strong level 4... etc... everything was spot on...

the lift was messy but still a relatively impressive rotational lift... yup.. they were looking for each other in there but they managed to execute it... with - 1 and -2 GOEs for the most part (some 0).. considering they would get +1 and +2 on there usually, the judges did their job... however, and i get back to the beginning of my post.. this was the last thing that happened to them in the FD, which had been stellar from the beginning... and IMHO it didn't affect the overall performance.

Keep in mind that levels and goes for all other elements were already awarded and were high...

it's not like when a team starts with their twizzles and mess them up and then suddenly they feel flat during the performance.

No way this lift should to get L4 https://youtu.be/MhXg2NidJLw?t=197.

Look at this lift of Maia and Alex https://youtu.be/q2iXG_XHZJs?t=206 Skate América, https://youtu.be/UqZoYcUI_vA?t=192 Cup of China
They got L3 at both events, they met all the requirements for a level 4, they were punished for some imperceptible mistake, so, why not the Parsons?

slider11

Medalist
Wow! Interesting ice dance competition. The 3 US couples certainly had distinctive performances. Parsons were superb in some areas, messy lift but, overall, I think they are deserving of the gold. The Russians were excellent, too. I can understand fans of Loboda/Drzod being unhappy. But I look at the Parsons outstanding speed and command on the ice and have to say that they won "by a nose". C/P are rising stars but I agree with those saying that there is disparity in the couple's style and ability which may catch up on them. But they will likely stay as juniors and perhaps can continue to grow together. My concern is for Lorraine and Quinn. This has definitely not been their year. Their coaches seem to pick fast, frenetic music that I'm not sure is their best genre. Also,I wonder if Lorraine who just turned 18 experienced some body maturing issues over the past year which affected her balance and timing. They are still an incredible couple and I sincerely hope they stick together in the seniors. One bad year is not a career. I would love to see some sort of slower, lyrical FD for them next year. They have long lean lines that could be accentuated.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow! Interesting ice dance competition. The 3 US couples certainly had distinctive performances. Parsons were superb in some areas, messy lift but, overall, I think they are deserving of the gold. The Russians were excellent, too. I can understand fans of Loboda/Drzod being unhappy. But I look at the Parsons outstanding speed and command on the ice and have to say that they won "by a nose". C/P are rising stars but I agree with those saying that there is disparity in the couple's style and ability which may catch up on them. But they will likely stay as juniors and perhaps can continue to grow together. My concern is for Lorraine and Quinn. This has definitely not been their year. Their coaches seem to pick fast, frenetic music that I'm not sure is their best genre. Also,I wonder if Lorraine who just turned 18 experienced some body maturing issues over the past year which affected her balance and timing. They are still an incredible couple and I sincerely hope they stick together in the seniors. One bad year is not a career. I would love to see some sort of slower, lyrical FD for them next year. They have long lean lines that could be accentuated.

I agree. Like since next year's SP rhythm is rhumba, I could see M/C skate to a song like "Backstreet's Back"....okay well they did skate to "I Want it That Way" for their EX last season so why not?

But yeah, every team will have an off-season. The thing that's important is how you pick yourself up.

And yeah, they did have slower music that they were able to skate well to last year. The ability to skate well to the right tempo is important. Like I remember last year (Kinda off topic but it proves my point), there was this junior men's skater that skated to a "Grease" medley. And one of the songs was "Grease Lightning." And he was not able to match to the tempo of it so it was VERY jarring. My point is that, the tempo has to be right.

I still liked their programs though. The SD wasn't really an issue. Maybe if they had a different FD, it could have worked out better.

But oh well, next year will be a brand new season, in a different level, with different length of FD, and more elements.

Barb

Record Breaker
I wonder if M/C are giving enough priority to skating, I mean maybe they or one of them are too much focused at school. And it is great but the day only has 24h.

madison

Record Breaker

Look at this lift of Maia and Alex https://youtu.be/q2iXG_XHZJs?t=206 Skate América, https://youtu.be/UqZoYcUI_vA?t=192 Cup of China
They got L3 at both events, they met all the requirements for a level 4, they were punished for some imperceptible mistake, so, why not the Parsons?
Yes, he stopped several times during rotations and checked with his legs... in seniors they def wouldn't have taken level 4. I don't know if the rules are different for juniors, maybe?

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
Yes, he stopped several times during rotations and checked with his legs... in seniors they def wouldn't have taken level 4. I don't know if the rules are different for juniors, maybe?

No, in the communication no. 2003 they don´t separate criteria for junior or senior.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
If one were to only read the comments, you would have thought the Parsons fell on a lift or something. It was a bit sloppy in execution, but it was still a completed and done level 4 rotational lift. There was no stumble or fall in the entrance, middle, or exit. In fact, their sloppy lift looked as good as some parts of L/L's lifts.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If one were to only read the comments, you would have thought the Parsons fell on a lift or something. It was a bit sloppy in execution, but it was still a completed and done level 4 rotational lift. There was no stumble or fall in the entrance, middle, or exit. In fact, their sloppy lift looked as good as some parts of L/L's lifts.

Also the panel DID review it. That's why it took so long to get the score. I think what made the difference is that Michael continued the rotations. Albeit it did not look pretty as they usually do it, but he got the job done.

Doris did a nice primer on rotational lifts, including on getting different levels, here: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...els-amp-GOE-are-Determined-in-Ice-Dance-Lifts

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

let's leave the shibs out of this because other event, other level of competition, other panel, other judges...

now tell me what a lift needs to get to level 4... some mistakes will cost a level, one less turn or what not on twizzles for instance... but a wobble doesn't necessarily mean that a lift will lose a level, GOE though, will be affected and it was.

Barb

Record Breaker
let's leave the shibs out of this because other event, other level of competition, other panel, other judges...

now tell me what a lift needs to get to level 4... some mistakes will cost a level, one less turn or what not on twizzles for instance... but a wobble doesn't necessarily mean that a lift will lose a level, GOE though, will be affected and it was.

http://imgur.com/e1OToGB. My point with the Shibs is because they met all the criteria and that points apply for junior and seniors. Apparently they got a L3 because Alex does a little pause during the rotation, Alex did not lost a rotation, Maia is changing of position, pose, etc. So, if that was a problem with the Shibs this should apply here too. I love the Parsons and I am happy about they winning, but here you can´t tell me that we can´t compare. We are not comparing if the costume is ugly or beautiful, if the music is bad or good, we are comparing a lift that is scored according to criteria. If I am wrong it is ok, I have no problem. I just want understand it. I want a clear and logical explication.

Resume: if Alex´s problem was his own rotation, so Michael´s rotation has problems too.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
http://imgur.com/e1OToGB. My point with the Shibs is because the criteria apply for junior and seniors. Apparently they got a L3 because Alex does a little pause during the rotation, Alex did not lost a rotation, Maia is changing of position. So, if that was a problem with the Shibs this should apply here too. I love the Parsons and I am happy about they winning, but here you can´t tell me that we can´t compare. We are not comparing if the costume is ugly or beautiful, if the music is bad or good, we are comparing a lift that is scored according to criteria. If I am wrong it is ok, I have no problem. I just want understand it. I want a clear and logical explication.

i cannot give you a perfect explanation for two reasons :) 1) i wasn't there... because seeing this live in the seats of the judges/tech panel is different and they do not get the same camera reviews we do get... and from experience seeing competitions at the rink, and then watching them on tv/youtube, there are things that sometimes look worse on tv... and some things that sometimes look better on tv...
2) i don't know enough about ice dance to act as a tech panel here.

what I can say, is that I perceived a messy lift but somehow, they managed to do it...and let's not think they were not penalized because they were. if you compare their goe on every single element, that lift is the only very negative element, so the judges did what they ought to do IMHO.

Was the tech panel competent or not? I give them the benefit of the doubt always, and from hearing some of them in interview, they often also themselves say that they give the benefit of the doubt to the athletes as well as sometimes, they cannot really see on the reviews and they have very little time to make a decision.

Wouldn't it be great if we could get an explanation from the tech panel? My point was simply to say that judges marked that lift way down compared to what the parsons would usually get on a lift... so they did their job...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
saw your edit : the thing with the lift is that i didn't see michael's feet... the zoom was on her... maybe he did wobble but kept rotating well enough