Figure skating potential? | Golden Skate

Figure skating potential?

Shigs15

Spectator
So, recently my 20 year old daughter picked up figure skating. She has only gone skating 17 days and a max of approximately 35 hours on the ice; off ice, she is stretching and working out like I've never seen her, cardio and lifting.

Within her time on the ice she has learned how to do forward and backward crossovers on both feet, two-footed spins in both directions, lunges on both legs, and simply turns to switch direction she's going. No, my daughter does not take lessons and learns by herself or -maybe- through her phone. She's even bought herself a pair of pre-owned skates (Riedell Emerald). Lately, she's been watching skating performances of top skaters and looking at higher grade skates and blades (I know she's saving for them, but won't be able to buying anything for a year or two due to college finances)

I'm worried that she's too old to do anything major with skating at this point in her life, but every time she goes to the rink she learns to do something better or something new. I have not talked to her personally about her ambitions with this newfound passion because my kids come to me when they are ready to tell me things. Therefore, I only know what she tells me.

Opinions would be much appreciated on this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So, recently my 20 year old daughter picked up figure skating. She has only gone skating 17 days and a max of approximately 35 hours on the ice; off ice, she is stretching and working out like I've never seen her, cardio and lifting.

Within her time on the ice she has learned how to do forward and backward crossovers on both feet, two-footed spins in both directions, lunges on both legs, and simply turns to switch direction she's going. No, my daughter does not take lessons and learns by herself or -maybe- through her phone. She's even bought herself a pair of skates (Riedell Emerald). Lately, she's been watching skating performances of top skaters and looking and purchasing higher grade skates and blades.

I'm worried that she's too old to do anything major with skating at this point in her life, but every time she goes to the rink she learns to do something better or something new. Opinions would be much appreciated on this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

To be honest, if she wants to skate she needs to learn to do things correctly which is probably not happening by "teaching herself or using videos."
She could definitely take lessons and take the adult skating path, but skating like the top skaters you see on tv or go to the Olympics..sorry not happening.
She also needs to not buy skates until she has a coach that can direct her or at least go to a pro that will fit her for her level and ability in skating, the last thing she needs to do is buy skates that are too stiff and blades that are too advanced for her ability and hurt herself.

That's the honest truth from someone who competed for many years as an elite skater.

Best of luck to your daughter, but please have her get a coach and learn proper technique.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If she wants to get anywhere, she needs to quit the self-teaching and get a coach, not waste her money buying higher level boots and blades that are probably too much for her at this point.

She is never going to be an elite Senior International. What she absolutely could do is go to Adult Nationals, the competition at Oberstdorf etc.

skatemomoftwo

Rinkside
Things she could do.
Work all the tests. They start with pre pre and end at Senior. Moves and Freestyle.
Adult sectionals,, nationals and other comps.
teach learn to skate.
Things she cant do.
Go to the Olys.
She needs a coach .

loopy

Final Flight
I would encourage her to have fun. You might offer a couple lessons with a local coach to support her interest. Or just enjoy her happiness with skating and stop being worried with where it will take her.

posha

Rinkside
Yeah she should find a coach she likes and who safely motivates/pushes her. If your daughter sticks with skating, in about two years she will know her potential and have a better idea of goals. The beginning stages she may see fast improvement, but within a year definitely by 2 years, she will reach a real plateau. I wouldn't worry over it. Let her have fun and keep improving, be supportive how you think best, maybe let her financially take care of it herself. That will also give her an idea of potential/goals. Give her time.

jf12

Final Flight
She is too old to too anything major with skating. except: get a high level of fitness, learn confidence and the value of hard work, reduce stress, have fun, and with time, money, and work, become what many people would consider a good skater.

Pink Ice

Rinkside
I agree with Loopy, encourage her to have fun. I don't know what it is about figure skating that makes parents want to know just how great is their kid and how high can they compete...just letting them enjoy it and progress at their own spend and take their own path with it seems difficult. Sometimes it seems as though they want to know where their money is going but parents spend money on activities all the time that they do not become so intense over. But I digress....

Though you are a parent, she is an adult, and it sounds like she is taking responsibility for the financial aspect of it? Probably skipping getting a coach because it is cost prohibative. I do not think she needs to take constant lessons, but she does need one with a coach from time to time to check her elements and body position, technique, etc.

If she were mucking stalls in exchange for horse riding lessons would you wonder where it was going, what her potential was, or just appreciate that she had a stress relieving hobby? Hopefully the latter.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I agree with Loopy, encourage her to have fun. I don't know what it is about figure skating that makes parents want to know just how great is their kid and how high can they compete..

To be fair to the OP, it's obvious that the OP's daughter is the one with potentially unrealistic expectations and the OP just wants to know how unrealistic those expectations are.

cl2

Final Flight
I'm worried that she's too old to do anything major with skating at this point in her life, ...

Many adults pick up new hobbies at all stages of adulthood---learn piano, learn painting, participate in adult sports tournaments. In none of those cases would one be concerned about achieving major accomplishments; simply the sheer enjoyment and fulfillment is enough to justify doing it. Nor should the fear of achieving nothing major be a barrier to starting a new hobby. Figure skating is no different.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I think the important thing, as others have said, is that she has fun with it. I would recommend trying some group lessons- they are generally pretty affordable and will give her a better starting base. You can be passionate about something without unrealistic expectations. I love skating more than anything else I do and while I'm not 'going anywhere' with it working to achieve my personal goals is really rewarding and has taught me a lot about perseverance and hard work. Give her time, she'll figure it out for herself.

Pink Ice

Rinkside
To be fair to the OP, it's obvious that the OP's daughter is the one with potentially unrealistic expectations and the OP just wants to know how unrealistic those expectations are.

Sorry, that was not at all how I interpret it. The daughter sounds very enthusiastic but realistic, for instance, knowing she has to wait to afford better boots and blades. It is the mother that says "I'm worried that she is too old to do anything major with skating at this point in her life".