Satoko Miyahara withdraws from 2017 Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Satoko Miyahara withdraws from 2017 Worlds

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I'm glad Satoko put her health first, even if it must have been a hard choice for her. All fingers crossed that her injury heals completely! I hope Rika is also healed by now and doesn't overtrain. 3 spots are great, but not worth anyone's health! The best of luck to Japanese ladies!

rosy14

Final Flight
I'm so disappointed. Good luck and a speed recovery, Satton !.
She's so unique, so different, she gives a touch of freshness and diversity to the lot of beautiful and good female skaters ! A little, real, princess on ice.
And another occasion for all of uas fans to remember that nothing is cast in stone, ice is slippery, injuries happen and he or she who was apparently on the right path to victory and glory, can have his/her destiny changed in a minute. Unfortunately.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
:sad21: Satoko get well soon:cry: I will miss you

Go Rika! Do what you did last year in Boston! I LOVE you Carmina Burana!! :clapper:

matcha

Medalist
omggg get well soon tiny jumper :luv17:

eyes on pyeongchang.

sucks that rika baby is still injured too, though :(

andromache

Record Breaker
Good news for Anna and the US ladies.

Very sad though. I'm not Satoko's biggest fan, but her LP this season is so impressive, and I was hoping to see how it had evolved by the end of the season. Still, better not to compete injured and make everything worse.

I'm hoping Rika can make the most of this opportunity, but her season has been very rough. I'm thinking that Mai might be able to take advantage of Satoko's absence to let the world know that she is a contender.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ah no, that completely blows. Still the important thing is that she gets herself fully healed and healthy and right for next year.

Hip injuries can be so tricky.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Saw this coming but I'm glad to see it actually happened. She and her coach didn't let themselves influenced by the pressure coming from the federation and put her health and career first. I hope they won't judge her, especially if they lose a spot. May the force be with her. She will be missed. :cry:

Thank you for always supporting me. I did my best to gradually increase practice time in order to prepare for the World Championships, but I continue to be in pain and have withdrawn. Now I will concentrate on getting healthy and I hope to come back strong next season. Thank you to all the fans who have supported me, the JSF and people related to this sport. I apologize for the inconveniences I have caused. I hope you will continue to support me.
- Satoko Miyahara
http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/1795179.html

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I was looking forward to see if she could get back onto the podium this year but I guess her health is more important and have her at her best during the Olympic season. Rest up well Tiny Queen.

frida80

Record Breaker
Thank goodness. Each report was scarier than the next. I was terrified she was going have a major injury if she pushed herself too hard. Now she can take the time she needs to heal for next season. Her personal health was more important than having three spots.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
What exactly must be done for three spots?

There will be pressure for Mai and Wakaba for sure. First Worlds and they have to deliver. It's a bit similar to Sochi for Russian Ladies. I remember them at Worlds 2013 and they only managed two spots.

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Yikes, I had a feeling this would happen.
Hopefully Satoko can take the extra time to heal properly for the next season. Big pressure now on the Japanese ladies, though.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
What exactly must be done for three spots?
Placements of the best two skaters must add up to 13 or less... eg. 6th and 7th or better, 5th and 8th or better etc...

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Sorry to hear this news but as others have said the recent reports of her recovery on the ice has not been encouraging.

Wishing Satoko a full recovery for the upcoming season!

Meoima

Match Penalty
Placements of the best two skaters must add up to 13 or less... eg. 6th and 7th or better, 5th and 8th or better etc...
Mai and Wakaba are both first time at WC... and Rika is not in good state. :drama: Not good...

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
It all depends on how the others do, but I think Mai is the biggest chance for a high placement. If we will have a very clean competition ála last years Ladies, the chances for a high placement for her, even clean, are low. Could be that PCS is a factor and all three are doomed. :(

lappo

Final Flight
So sorry for Satoko, for me she was one of the few reasons to watch ladies world this year (love her FD, really the best program of the field). Anyway, they made the right decision in her best overall interest and I'm really happy about that..wish a full and quick recovery to Satton and good luck to team Japan!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
:(

in all honesty - nothing surprising about this announcement, but still deep sadness about it from my side...To loose from the line-up a great competitor, with amazing programs, specific style, artistry presented. But at the same time - I feel like this is the best they could do and decide for Satoko's best future and prospects, the future thinking is better than short-termed, with all that re-injure risk which could end her career instead of getting it on full force as lots of us expected.

I think that this is a right call to give Satoko as much chance and opportunity to heal, recover and get back to the competition next season, as next - Olympic - season should be most important goal after this recovery. I just wish Satoko a lot of patience, spirits and strength to cope with her current state, especially mentally, as I imagine that she really wanted to got to Helsinki and put her best effort if not for herself individually, then for Japan. I just hope for better news as time will pass until next season and calm recovery in Satoko's camp - better not to rush things and take them one by one. I trust Satoko's maturity and wisdom regarding her health, as the best decision has been already made for her own good.

mikeko666

Final Flight
I think she made the right to decision to withdraw although I'm sure it was very hard for her to do so. Hip injuries scare me as hell.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This must have been such a difficult decision - but nothing is more important than her health, so IMO it's the right one. Especially since I'm sure JSF would have rather had her going and there must have been a lot of pressure from that side. Hopefully Satoko will have as fast and smooth a recovery as possible from here on and can prepare well for next season.

All the best to Rika at WC. Hopefully her own injuries are healed and she's in good shape and can use this opportunity for herself well. And all the best to Mai and Wakaba too - Satoko will be very missed, but Japan still has a great team. Looking forward to seeing all of them!

This is sad but the right thing. she needs to be heathy for life and for oly season. However, I am wondering I thought Murakami was the first sub so what happened. yes, the Japanese ladies are strong enough for three. Under the right circumstances Mai could win a medal too. I wish Satoko well and sadly this means there was a bit of a game about how serious the injury was - when the JSF made it sound that this was no huge issue. Still I am more worried about Satoko than her Fed.