Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
The Shibs aren't as good, though? If they all skate their best, V/M and P/C simply deserve to be placed over them, no question. The Shibs can out-twizzle them (or actually maybe they aren't even better than P/C on this element anymore), but in terms of nuance and depth of emotion throughout the movements and performance, they aren't on the same level.

And frankly, with the improvements P/C have made since the first half of the season, they should actually be untouchable for #1 if they skate their best. V/M are simply not as good technically, they aren't able to hit the same heights of full-body engagement and they even tried to copy the now-iconic upside-down camel spin position of Papadakis, but they definitely do not execute it as well as P/C.

I'm rooting for Chock/Bates to make the podium. Their programs have continually improved over the course of the season and if they are their best yet at Worlds, it will be spectacular. Evan has gotten better and better in the SP at selling the hard edge and the funk. I hope he really kills the "Bad to the Bone" section this time. Technically this team definitely has to make up some ground, but if they can hit everything really well, they are more dynamic DANCERS than the Shibs. Especially because the Shibs' SD this season is just stupid, IMO.

I disagree with you regarding the Shibs- I think they are just as good and their SD is one of the only ones his year to really push the envelope. I don't dislike C/B but I don't think they are more dynamic than the Shibs. Their programs are just very different this year. I do have a soft spot for their Bowie FD (Bowie forever!).

But I do agree with you regarding P/C, it's bizarre to me that the judges have seemingly dumped them for V/M. I find P/C the more emotional and elegant team.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Sad that a geriatric, out-of-their-prime V/M can steamroll all their younger competitors without breaking a sweat. :drama:

They're both still not even 30 years old and you call them geriatric :laugh:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I disagree with you regarding the Shibs- I think they are just as good and their SD is one of the only ones his year to really push the envelope. I don't dislike C/B but I don't think they are more dynamic than the Shibs. Their programs are just very different this year. I do have a soft spot for their Bowie FD (Bowie forever!).

But I do agree with you regarding P/C, it's bizarre to me that the judges have seemingly dumped them for V/M. I find P/C the more emotional and elegant team.

I don't think it's fair to say the judges have dumped them, considering V/M have been cleaner both times they've competed against each other. P/C have made costly errors and showed their nerves, which is understandable considering they are a younger team. We haven't seen who the judges prefer when they both skate clean. Obviously, I have my preference, but anything can happen when they are both clean.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
While I voted for V/M I would say that if they get outskated by any of the other teams they deserve to lose to them.

I don't actually care who wins as long as the ones that put together the two best performances (SD and FD) win. If that's my least favourite team (and for me that's Chock and Bates of this grouping) then I hope they get the marks and win.

We are none of us served by a team we like more winning when it's not deserved.

I will though be unabashedly cheering for Gilles/Poirer and the Polish team.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
While I voted for V/M I would say that if they get outskated by any of the other teams they deserve to lose to them.

I don't actually care who wins as long as the ones that put together the two best performances (SD and FD) win. If that's my least favourite team (and for me that's Chock and Bates of this grouping) then I hope they get the marks and win.

hi!:ghug::ghug:, long time, no see, how's Eli The Dog? I'm on Eli stories withdrawal period

and I agree on all above, exact my sentiments, and always pro PSquared and Polish team, I soooo approve!!!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
hi!:ghug::ghug:, long time, no see, how's Eli The Dog? I'm on Eli stories withdrawal period

and I agree on all above, exact my sentiments, and always pro PSquared and Polish team, I soooo approve!!!
He's doing well. We are getting a late snowfall (10cm so far) and he's happy. He likes the snow but hates the rain. We discovered that he likes frozen blueberries.

I do have to say about the ID event this season that I do really enjoy V/M SD and I'm learning to appreciate the FD so of those top teams they would also be my favourite but if they lose to the French or the Shibs (really the only ones I think can beat them at this point) because they are outskated then it's all good. We could certainly do worse than the French or Shibs winning.

I just hope G/P get through their competition without a major bobble. They seem to be becoming accident prone.

I wonder if team Poland can secure two places for the Olympics. That would be cool.

edited to fix grammar.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
And the Shibs have built an entire career on nuance.

I disagree. Their skating isn't characterized by nuance as much as preciseness. They don't have as many interesting and unexpected variations and facial expressions throughout their performances as other teams, creating a multi-layered presentation on the ice. They are more monotone as compared to the best teams and also more superficial, not expressing the same depth of emotion. When I watch their performances, everything that happens is what I would expect to happen. The arms move in predictable fashion, the delivery is assured but safe. It's all executed so well, but it's not the most remarkable dancing.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
No doubt V/M will return again in 2021 for the 2022 Olympics....

I can't tell if that's sarcasm or you channeling your inner Miss Cleo.

I really think they will retire for good at the end of 2018. I would expect the French and the Shibs to keep skating. (Someone said Chock and Bates have said they are staying in) I would expect the French to be the front runners for 2022 (as well as having a very good shot next year). I for one am interested to see how their style evolves. It's probably one of the things about ID in the next quad that most intrigues me.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland

Just like No Name Face, I agree with everything you said! Go P[SUP]2[/SUP]!

I doubt Poles will be able to place in top10 though. There would have to be very particular circumstances to happen for that... and I don't wish bad other teams. but I do hope they will improve their placement :party:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I disagree. Their skating isn't characterized by nuance as much as preciseness. They don't have as many interesting and unexpected variations and facial expressions throughout their performances as other teams, creating a multi-layered presentation on the ice. They are more monotone as compared to the best teams and also more superficial, not expressing the same depth of emotion. When I watch their performances, everything that happens is what I would expect to happen. The arms move in predictable fashion, the delivery is assured but safe. It's all executed so well, but it's not the most remarkable dancing.

See I find this interesting and I'm sure a lot of folks agree with you and disagree with you (because, hey, this is what we do here, right?) but I have the problem of feeling like I'm not subtle enough to really get into the Shibs FD. It's all a little hard for me to get in to. The music is so boring it makes me tune out. However, they are very skilled and I feel very confident watching them. Maybe that's why they bore me a little? Maybe it's not passionate enough (I did like Fix You) and enough on the edge of being brilliant or being a total disaster. It's safe, it's secure. It's just not very exciting to me.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Just like No Name Face, I agree with everything you said! Go P[SUP]2[/SUP]!

I doubt Poles will be able to place in top10 though. There would have to be very particular circumstances to happen for that... and I don't wish bad other teams. but I do hope they will improve their placement :party:

Yes, I guess that will be hard. I was just thinking about how they got 2 spots at Europeans which I thought was a good step forward.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Yes, I guess that will be hard. I was just thinking about how they got 2 spots at Europeans which I thought was a good step forward.

Yeah, it's huge step forward! :cheer: That's why I'm hoping for improvement, but top10 would be kind of big stretch :p

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
About "superficial", I think the Shibs are one of the more authentic ice dancers out there because they don't make the typical ice dance faces we're used to seeing and are instead giving something more organic. It may not give a lot of range, for some people, but I don't doubt what I'm seeing from them is what they're actually feeling at that moment. Once I've seen an ice dance team/skater for long enough, I feel like I've seen all of their expressions in that I can't help but notice that they re-use a lot of the same facial expressions, which is understandable. Like actors, you have have a certain number of faces and if you have been in the game for long enough and have done a lot of projects, people will start accusing you of being limited and doing the same performance over and over again.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

While I agree with your point in general, their FS last season, especially their performance at GPF really penetrated many people's heart including me. That feeling and emotions came as genuine, so I was deeply moved and wanted them to overcome the thick glass ceiling upon them. I understand that they want to secure their position as No. 3 after V/M and P/C before PyeongChang but their programs this season do not have the magic of last season. I feel they want a safe path.

Barb

Record Breaker
And Maia and Alex are very authentic because they are skating their own work, they choreographed their own FD. At wikipedia they are listed as choreographers before Marina, Oleg and Massimo, I doubt the Shibs would steal the credit to their coaches, so I think that choreography is mainly by Maia and Alex with touches by the others.
The music was chosen by the Shibs, and Alex personally made the arrangement of the second piece of music, this piece IMO is the best part because is the most emotional and the climax of the program, therefore, I doubt they are being superficial or no authentic toward their own work, this program is them.

Last edited: