2018 Olympic and World Championship Spots | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic and World Championship Spots

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Thanks! In other words, the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away. :disagree:

sarama

Medalist
It's especially dumb because it was pretty much only likely to happen in Pairs given the lower total number of spots (due to Warmup Group limitations) but I agree - changing it now is not going to happen and is not worth trouble. Fix it for 2022 like gymnastics did for 2020 with adding a rule that AA medalists (and not just event medalists) are guaranteed an Olympic spot.
I totally agree. The ISU knew this was going to happen, but they didn't care

GoddessMinerva

Rinkside
Aiza Mambekova reached TES for 4CCs recently. So maybe she can do it again next season, but if she takes part to OG, she would have no chance to qualify for the FP.

Is the younger Kazakh girl that Orser coaches too young for the Olympics next year? Sorry, I forget her name.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
The ISU has published the official list of Olympic spots earned at Worlds.

The ISU list confirms that the US earned one pair spot for the Olympics.

The other important detail to note:

The host country Korea is guaranteed an extra spot per
discipline if they do not qualify through the normal qualifying procedure (2017 World
Championships and Olympic Qualifying competition). For example, if Korea does not qualify a
Man in Oberstdorf, there will be 31 competitors at the Olympic Games in PyeongChang.

which is different from what is stated in the Qualification System document:

The host country places will only be implemented if there are remaining places from the ten (10)
Team event “Additional Athletes Quotas”

asp11

Just a dedicated fan - not a skater
On the Ice
Hi,
I've been a long time follower of this forum. Just have a question regarding spots. How low must a skater place in the free skate, such that they have to earn a spot at Nebelhorn? Ex: Anastasia (ARM) finished 23rd overall. Doesn't she still get 16 points for qualifying for the free? Hope my question makes sense. Thanks in advance.

sarama

Medalist
Hi,
I've been a long time follower of this forum. Just have a question regarding spots. How low must a skater place in the free skate, such that they have to earn a spot at Nebelhorn? Ex: Anastasia (ARM) finished 23rd overall. Doesn't she still get 16 points for qualifying for the free? Hope my question makes sense. Thanks in advance.
The qualification process at Nebelhorn is quite simple. Take the final results, pretend skaters from nations already qualified at worlds don't exist, the remaining top 6 skaters (I believe) for singles get 1 spot for the Olympics. The overall standings don't matter, it's just the relative placements

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

asp11

Just a dedicated fan - not a skater
On the Ice
The qualification process at Nebelhorn is quite simple. Take the final results, pretend skaters from nations already qualified at worlds don't exist, the remaining top 6 skaters (I believe) for singles get 1 spot for the Olympics. The overall standings don't matter, it's just the relative placements

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Thanks! Makes sense now.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
JSYK I will edit this later tonight to fix the dead links as well as move yhe chart on the second page to somewhere more visible.

If there are any official spots that have been given up (like France gave a pairs spot I believe) just post a link to somewhere it's been officially documented and I'll edit accordingly!

Andrea82

Medalist
ISU piece about first day of Nebelhorn confirm that France (Pairs second spot) and Denmark (Ice Dance) have returned their spots.

http://www.isu.org/inside-single-pa...fication-at-nebelhorn-trophy?templateParam=15

The relevant parts are the following:

19 Olympic spots for Ice Dance were allocated at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2017 and six more spots are available at Nebelhorn Trophy. Originally five spots were available, but since Denmark returned their Ice Dance quota place, a sixth spot has opened up for the competitors at Nebelhorn Trophy.

16 Olympic spots for Pairs were allocated at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2017 and five more spots are available at Nebelhorn Trophy. Originally four spots were available, but since France returned their second Pairs quota place, a fifth spot has opened up for the competitors at Nebelhorn Trophy.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The ISU has published the official list of Olympic spots earned at Worlds.

The ISU list confirms that the US earned one pair spot for the Olympics.

The other important detail to note:

The host country Korea is guaranteed an extra spot per
discipline if they do not qualify through the normal qualifying procedure (2017 World
Championships and Olympic Qualifying competition). For example, if Korea does not qualify a
Man in Oberstdorf, there will be 31 competitors at the Olympic Games in PyeongChang.

which is different from what is stated in the Qualification System document:

The host country places will only be implemented if there are remaining places from the ten (10)
Team event “Additional Athletes Quotas”

Picking up on our conversation from April ....

ISU Communication 2093 published on May 23 does once again refer to the host country's extra spots being contingent on the Additional Athletes Quota.

D. Host Country entries
In accordance with Rule 400, in case the Host ISU Member went through the normal qualifying
procedure and did not qualify under Rule 400 paragraphs 3 or 4 in any of the disciplines (Ladies, Men,
Pair Skating, Ice Dance), the Host ISU Member shall have the right to enter one (1) Competitor per
concerned discipline(s) as additional entry(ies) as long as the concerned Skater(s)/Pair/Couple achieved
the Minimum Total Elements Score (points) for the Olympic Winter Games and places are available
from the additional Athletes Quota.

http://static.isu.org/media/516026/2093-entries-2018-owg-fsid-before-qual-comp.pdf

Thanks for getting this thread reactivated and moved to the Olympics forum.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Picking up on our conversation from April ....

ISU Communication 2093 published on May 23 does once again refer to the host country's extra spots being contingent on the Additional Athletes Quota.

D. Host Country entries
In accordance with Rule 400, in case the Host ISU Member went through the normal qualifying
procedure and did not qualify under Rule 400 paragraphs 3 or 4 in any of the disciplines (Ladies, Men,
Pair Skating, Ice Dance), the Host ISU Member shall have the right to enter one (1) Competitor per
concerned discipline(s) as additional entry(ies) as long as the concerned Skater(s)/Pair/Couple achieved
the Minimum Total Elements Score (points) for the Olympic Winter Games and places are available
from the additional Athletes Quota.

http://static.isu.org/media/516026/2093-entries-2018-owg-fsid-before-qual-comp.pdf

Thanks for getting this thread reactivated and moved to the Olympics forum.

Yeah I did remember that it was solved. Just didn't have time to update it from Limbo, lol.

(Thanks to Mrs. P and doris for moving it for me like right after I asked if it was possible!)