Most Beautiful Skating Costumes | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Most Beautiful Skating Costumes

Longhornliz

Final Flight
One of my favorite costume trends was the delicate, feminine and age appropriate dresses that sasha, NNN and sarah wore when they first hit the senior scene. They werent trying to dress like sexy women or little girls... it was nice. My fav was the teal and purple short sleeve beaded dress Naomi wore in 2000.

Spinner

Rinkside
SkateFan4Life said:
Nicole Bobek - 1995 US/World long program to "Dr. Zhivago" - stunning gold dress
Nicole's Dr Zhivago dress was blue with gold accents and an open back. I liked it too.

S

SkateFan4Life

I always liked Torvill and Dean's costumes, especially their matching gold
"Mack and Mabel" outfits, their white "Barnum" costumes, and, of course, their stunning purple "Bolero" costumes.

Remember their 1984 Olympic short program outfits? Dean was a bullfighter, and Torvill was his "cape". Jayne was dressed in a "cape-like" outfit, and at the end of the number, Dean flung his "cape" onto the ice. Jayne spun around and stopped perfected in front of her partner.

Another 6.0! :)

skatepixie

On the Ice
I *really* dont like Wang. Her dress for Nancy was alright, but it wasnt anything special and looked kind off "off-the-rack-ish" to me. Just my taste.

But...on to the things I do like...

Sasha:
The first swan lake
Yellow Dress from 03/04
My Fair Lady dress (Im a sucker for the neckless look)
The blue/purple Rach with gold detail. I know a lot of people dislike it, but I love it.

Yuka Sato:
Her dress from Misty on the time tour. See above about the neckless thing.

Jenny Kirk:
Chicago
Her LP dress. I did want her to get a new on after two years, but its still a pretty dress.

Tara:
The Rainbow
Color of Roses

Kristi:
92 Olympic Dress

Peggy Fleming:
68 Olympics

Pau-goodle76

Rinkside
My faves:
Katia Gordeeva: The dress for her 1st solo program at A Celebration of a Life
Michelle Kwan: Any of them actually
Sasha Cohen: Swan Lake dress at '04 Worlds and Marshalls
The purple (or blue?) dress w/ the lines on the front that she wore
at Cup of Russia for the Rachmaninoff program from the '02-03
GP series.
Tara Lipinski: My Fair Lady
Color of Roses
G&G: The Man I Love
Vocalise
Moonlight Sonata
Out of Tears

Glacierskater

On the Ice
The green dress that Peggy's mom made for her was made that color because there was a near by town of the same name: Chartreuse is town close to the venue that Peggy skated at to win her gold medal. Her mom was attempting to endear her daughter to the crowd with the symbolism of the color.

And you probably know that AP's mom makes her dresses...and that may be your point...that you don't like them.

So, who then, should make the dresses? A haute couture designer? And what if Vera Wang were to have a daughter that skates? Should she not make a dress for her daughter? It's just sewing, and it is not hard. Is it that you don't think that the quality would be there, or you don't like what you have seen from skating moms so far? I am trying to get a feel for what it is that you don't like about it. I make dresses, and the quality is much better than some of the companies that I have ordered from. You have a total freedom for design and you can really coordinate the costume with your program. Just further food for thought...I am doing som late night rambling, I guess...wait, it's morning. :)

berthes ghost said:
All of the following is of course Just my Personal Opinion

With the possible exception of Peggy's chatruese costume (very savy of Doris to choose a punchy, trendy color for the first Olys to be broadcast "in living color") I don't think that any skater should ever wear anything sewn by their mother.

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
ITA with Bobek's Dr. Zhivago, very ornate and beautiful. ITA with Mathman's choice too.

skatepixie said:
I *really* dont like Wang. Her dress for Nancy was alright, but it wasnt anything special and looked kind off "off-the-rack-ish" to me. Just my taste.

Just my taste I really like Wang.

skatepixie

Sasha:
The first swan lake
Yellow Dress from 03/04

Actually any swan lake costumes with swan tail and feather motiv is off the rackish looking JMHO. Designs that look like the yellow dress kind of flattens the profile.

Last edited:

icenut84

Final Flight
Some of my favourites, off the top of my head:

Sasha Cohen - Malaguena #1 (from 03 Worlds), My Sweet & Tender Beast (from 02 Olympics)
Michelle Kwan - her SP & LP from 00 Worlds, 01 Worlds LP, 96 Worlds SP (gorgeous!)
Fumie Suguri - 04 Worlds LP (Mozart), 02 Olympics LP (Moonlight Sonata)
Maria Butyrskaya - 01 Worlds LP
Rena Inoue - 04 Worlds LP (the pink one)
Anton Sikharulidze - 98 LP
Shen & Zhao - 04 LP (Nutcracker)
Tatiana Totmianina - 04 SP
Katia Gordeeva - 94 Olympic EX (Reverie)
Jayne Torvill - 82 OSP (Summertime - black, slight sparkle, feathery skirt, black and pale pink ribbons on the skirt and her shoulders. Beautiful.)
Alexei Yagudin - 01 Worlds SP (Revolution Etude)

I'm sure I've forgot loads...

S

SkateFan4Life

Remember the 1988 "Battle of the Brians?" Brian Boitano wore a blue military outfit for his "Napoleon" long program, and Brian Orser wore a red military outfit for his "The Bolt" long program. Both guys looked great, in my opinion.