21 363 LENNON Katy GBR 9.262 8.987 8.200 8.925 35.374
22 424 GONZALEZ CALERO Leyanet CUB 9.325 8.725 8.012 9.237 35.299
23 420 VANWALLEGHEM Aagje BEL 9.225 9.075 8.287 8.275 34.862
24 321 BANVILLE Melanie CAN 9.200 8.025 8.787 8.462 34.474

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/donquijote/livejournal stuff/carly.bmp

Last edited:

Jenna

Spectator
Good for her! I was hoping that she would be on the podium and this is even better. :D

OwenEvans

Rinkside
Hi All,

Firstly, a disclaimer - all of below is just IMO and I'm not meaning to upset anyone with my comments OK.... :)

Watched all of it this morning and, as an event, IMO this was quite boring on the whole, especially after the fantastic Team final and even better Men's AA.

Miss Patterson had a very average vault, but responded well on Bars and was excellent on the Beam and Floor (although my heart missed a beat at the end of her 3rd tumbling pass when she put her foot down very close to the boundary), but any shred of competition went down the drain when everyone except Miss Patterson blew their chances on the Beam.

Good to see Khorkina get the Silver I suppose, but IMO she was overmarked on the Bars (again, bobble on pirouette work - unbelievable!) and undermarked on Floor (best routine she did all week, by far and just beautiful to watch). I really thought the Romanian girl was going to give Miss Patterson a run for her money and she was doing fine until the Beam, when a couple of tiny bobbles gave the judges the opportunity to undermark her IMO and that was her finished for the comp. The judging for the minor placings and below was strange - following on from Sydney AA, it seemed like they wanted to give all the major nations a medal. I felt for Pavlova (especially at the end when they showed her with tears running down her face) as she missed out on Bronze by a miniscule amount, how, I don't know because I felt she was better than the Chinese girl, who was "forgiven" for some of the many bobbles she had across all apparatus IMO. Courtney Kupets began well, but serious bobbles on the beam and out of bounds on the floor sunk her.

I have to say that Miss Patterson needs to work on her "artistry" (for want of a better word - I think you can work out what I'm trying to say). She can do all the tricks, but I think she is a bit lucky -
a) Oana Ban had to withdraw as she could have been a spoiler, and;
b) Catalina Ponor isn't that great on Bars as yet and missed the AA comp , because (and please don't hurt me for saying this) Ponor has the tricks and the "artistry".

Still, Miss Patterson is the champ and very well deserved on the night too!

:)

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I am so happy for Carly Patterson. She put all of the mistakes in the Team Final behind her and was brilliant. And what can you say about Khorkhina...she is one of a kind and she really did bring so much personality to gymnastics. I will miss the "diva".

Owen, I think you are right on with many of your opinions. Carly isn't as artistic as some of the other gymnasts, but she is young. I'm hoping if she stays in the sport she will mature and develop that aspect more. But, overall, I think she is the finest gymnast right now and her victory tonight proved that.

soogar

Record Breaker
Owens:
ITA with your opinion of Carly Patterson. I thought Sveta's bar score was high but it was just considering how she was totally robbed on the vault score. Anna Pavlova definitely deserved the bronze. I thought she looked great on all her events. The Chinese girl had a lot of mistakes, however her floor exercise had really great choreography and great music.

I wish Sveta had been able to hold it together on the beam. I think she gave that title to Carly.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
HOORAY CARLY!!!! I bet her and Paul will share a wheaties box!!!

The Russian, Pavlova maybe? Was the most refreshing surprise of the night, I really enjoyed her routines and I hope that she will be a force in the coming years.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
considering how she was totally robbed on the vault score

I was sort of shocked to see a score in the 9.4 range for Khorkina's vault also. I was expecting something in the low 9.5s, which is what I think it deserved. She did a great job with it, but some of her positions in the air are sloppy. Still though....it was clean. I guess it doesn't matter much seeing as how the judges ended up giving her back that tenth in the bar routine (I was thinking nothing higher than a 9.65 for that routine and was kind of surprised to see that 9.725 pop up). But, I am glad she had a solid competition. She gave that Floor Exercise all of the personality she could muster....and smiles to boot (which is such a rare thing with her)!

nubka

Final Flight
Carly...

Now Carly Patterson will always be mentioned along side Mary Lou Rhetton, but I think that Patterson's victory is more complete because Rhetton won her all-around title the year that the Soviet Union boycotted the LA Games. Rhetton is great, but I have to wonder what the outcome would have been if the Soviet Women's Team (who was still a dynamic force back then,) had been there...

Congrats to Carly!!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I'm really happy for Carly--great job! I don't understand the comparisons to Mary Lou Retton. Olympic All-Around titles aside, ML was all smiles, charm with a winning personality. Carly is all business. BTW, that's not a criticism--just an observation on how different they seem to be.

soogar

Record Breaker
Well there is no way that an American could have won with the Soviet team in full force. I'm not really impressed with Carly's gymnastics b/c she really doesn't have the unique risk elements that the Russians have/had. However the gymnastics program really slid in Russia (where were the formerly great Russian men?) that another country picked up the slack. Maybe some of those nouveau riche in Russia can donate some money to restore the pride in the former Russian/Soviet regime.

Carly is no Mary Lou. I don't even consider Carly in the same league as Shannon Miller.

OwenEvans

Rinkside
Y'know, I'm really surprised that all the ex-Romanian/Russian talent coaching the US girls didn't incorporate more intricate/sophisticated choreo into the routines, because no-one knows more about it than they do, so why not?

Just as skating is more than jumps, gymnastics is (or should be) more than acrobatics (I mean, I just :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: the Chinese style on the beam - forget about the tricks, I could watch those girls just doing their choreo all day). If I wanted to see just tricks, I would go hang out @ Cirque de Soliel(sp?). Considering the real similarity between a lot of routines acrobatically (eg, FX - lots of 3 twists, 2.5 twists to punchfronts, double somis piked and layout etc etc and on beam, eg, it seemed most everyone was doing Onodi's connecting to flips/layouts), the choreo/dance elements make a real point difference between gymnasts.

It's interesting to compare Miss Patterson's scores against Ponor's for Beam and Floor (the two most "artistic" apparatus IMO) during team final (which is a fair example as both performed well). Ponor outscored Patterson by 1.5 on Beam and .88 on Floor, which are huuuuuge differences at this level and Miss Patterson did not make any glaring errors or even several minor ones which would eat away at her SV. I think Miss Patterson actually has slightly more difficult routines acrobatically (eg, her dismount from Beam is just mind-blowing) and even last night, when she performed brilliantly on those apparatus, her scores still did not equal Ponor's from Team, so what gives?

Based on what I had seen of her earlier in the week, I didn't have any real hopes for Khorkina claiming the gold, for all her reputation. The only girls I thought who had a chance to compete with Miss Patterson were Ban (who pulled out) and Sofronie (who I felt was shafted on Beam). However, I think that as soon as Ponor improves her AB skills just a little, Miss Patterson is going to have some serious competition for those AA titles.....

Edited to add "Carly is no Mary Lou. I don't even consider Carly in the same league as Shannon Miller."

Soogar, I don't consider even Mary Lou to be in the same league as the Divine Miss M!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :laugh:

Last edited:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
I don't know if I was the only one who felt this way, but I couldn't get into Pavlova and Zhang's respective FX's...when I was watching Pavlova, I was thinking of Yagudin (Winter), and when Zhang was performing, I thought of Lu Chen's "Last Emperor"...

The commentator (Elfi Schlaegel) was probably right- Carly realized that this was more than just another meet...

Last edited:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Well, the basic fact from tonight is that Carly delivered the goods in her routines tonight and she deserved to win that gold medal. Sveta was underscored on vault and she was overscored on bars IMO, so it evened out as far as I am concerned. I think Carly is a beautiful athlete (and she had fun in that floor routine tonight too) and I am SOOOO happy for her to win. I've been a fan for a while now so this was stellar. Its like the women keep answering for what the men are doing!! Silver for silver, gold for gold. That's awesome! Good for her. :D :D :D :D :D

lavender

Record Breaker
BronzeisGolden said:
I was sort of shocked to see a score in the 9.4 range for Khorkina's vault also. I was expecting something in the low 9.5s, which is what I think it deserved. She did a great job with it, but some of her positions in the air are sloppy. Still though....it was clean. I guess it doesn't matter much seeing as how the judges ended up giving her back that tenth in the bar routine (I was thinking nothing higher than a 9.65 for that routine and was kind of surprised to see that 9.725 pop up). But, I am glad she had a solid competition. She gave that Floor Exercise all of the personality she could muster....and smiles to boot (which is such a rare thing with her)!

I wasn't surprised by her scores on the vault. She had the worst positions in the air and the only good thing about that vault was her landing. IMO Carly wasn't given the win. She won it hands down. Khorkina has lost some of her great form and I think that's what hurt her.

"Carly is no Mary Lou. I don't even consider Carly in the same league as Shannon Miller.")

I like Carly and I'm so happy for her but she's no Mary Lou in talent or personality. I also don't think she's the darling of America. For once I hope it's a male and that's Paul Hamm. He's a sweetheart and I love his personality. I hope that he's on the Wheaties box too and they won't forget him. His story is more amazing.

Last edited:
ITA with Owen Evans complaint about the lack of choreography in the floor exercises. A nice exception was the Canadian lady, Kate Robinson. IMO she had cute music and made full use of it.

Mathman

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I am a huge Mary Lou fan. She has a bubbly outgoing personaliy that the media eats up. Carly seems to be quieter and not as comfortable (yet?) with the media. That said, I hope that no one thinks of Carly as less of a champion than previous gymnists. Just because one does not become an instant media darling in no way diminishes the effort put in to become champion or the magnitude of their accomplishments.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
I have to be truthful and say I was pulling for Slytvana Horkina... This being her last Olympics and the only gold that she hasnt won... She is a true DIVA!! Now as for Carly Patterson not being a media darling.. Yes, she is young and alittle stuck up on herself.. I hope as she gets older she will become more gracious.. I was really pulling for Courtney Kuppets to be the upset.. She has been very kind and sweet to everyone who has interviewed her.. Paul Hamm has been the true highlight of this Olympics.. He is the complete package!!!! What a gent!..............Peace

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I don't see Carly as being stuck up she just doesn[t seem to be the Chatty Kathy type. I don't know if it's fear, shyness, or maybe she is just overwhelmed right now. Are these kids given any kind of media training as to how to be more comfortable in interviews? It would seem that after competing before the entire world, in a leotard, on that balance beam interviews would be a piece of cake.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I, too, was thinking that Ms. Patterson is no Mary Lou OR Shannon in the personality department, either, but then again, personality isn't everything. After all, Svetlana Khorkina has plenty of personality, but would you really want her at your dinner party?? That attitude of hers has, for me, worn completely thin. She's been on my list ever since she screamed at one of her teammates in Sydney for making a sizable error in the team competition, an error which, as I recall, wouldn't have been relevant had La Diva herself not made one earlier. That being said -- I think Khorkina would have won the gold if (A) she'd done more tumbling and less merely prancing about on the floor [tho I give her points for dropping the Blowing The Kiss To The Audience portion that she did in the team competition, as it is NOT overly convincing given her overall personality) and (B) if she hadn't rushed through her beam routine like she was double-parked. As I understand it, she'd gotten marked down for taking too much time between her elements in the team competition, but I think she took it too far the other way last night. The whole thing, to me, looked rushed and a bit sloppy.

I was glad that they showed Alanna Slater of Australia in the floor exercise; I remember the Australians being particularly interesting to watch on the floor in Sydney; I think they have the best sense of choreography of any of the teams, even if they don't have the big tricks.

And count me in as another viewer who was completely enthralled by Anna Pavlova; she's terrific and I would have loved to have seen her on the podium.