VM SD best dance
Boyang's SP and LP, most impressive improvement since last year
and
Kolyada's finest 3Lz in SP

and.....
Stephane FINALLY got to watch you live again in worlds:luv17:

amateur

Final Flight
1. Wakaba Higuchi SP (partly because it's my first time seeing her - so impressive artistically at 16 !)
2. Stolbova/Klimov LP
3. Savchenko/Massot LP
4. Karen Chen SP
5. Denis Vasiljevs SP

6. Patrick Chan SP
7. Weaver/Poje FD (for reaching peak performance quality here, though it's not one of their best programs at all)
8. Marchei/Hotarek SP
9. Sui/Han general performance in their two programs
10. The sky-cam -- I liked it! (the problems with bad camerawork were rather with the close-ups at times)

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
1. yuzu's long program... wowsers... and tracy's reaction to the score
2. virtue moir's short dance... let's go crazy over it
3. mai mihara's long program... so sweet
4. boyang's 4 lutz in the free... just it by itself was enough
5. sui/han long... and their interviews were great!!
5b. javi's short program was fantastic

TTM

Rinkside
Country
Brazil
Shoma Uno: SP

Shoma Uno: LP

Mai Mihara: LP

Gabriella Papadakis / Guillaume Cizeron: LP

Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje: LP

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I can't believe how many people are leaving out Hanyu's free. I don't understand how people that consider themselves figure skating fans do not consider that a highlight of these championships.

Additionally for me:

※ Uno's free
※ Medvedeva's short
※ Medvedeva's free
※ Mihara's free

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't believe how many people are leaving out Hanyu's free. I don't understand how people that consider themselves figure skating fans do not consider that a highlight of these championships.

^ I haven't had a chance to see it yet BUT.....NBC is airing the Men's FS right now. :)

amateur

Final Flight

Additionally for me:

※ Uno's free
※ Medvedeva's short
※ Medvedeva's free
※ Mihara's free

Well for one, I haven't seen it yet either, I was sleeping

But, for some people it might not necessarily stand out as anything other than "another fantastic Hanyu performance (take your pick from many), of that style that he does" (even if this one was technically the highest level yet), whereas other things could be highlights for some people because they were more surprising

Last edited:

randomsplashes

Rinkside
First post here! It was so hard to choose....I had so many favorites :luv17:

-Virtue/Moir's SD: so brilliant and sharp, favorite SD performance of the season
-Sui/Han's SP: Best pairs SP of the season
-Sui/Han's FS: I got so emotional watching it!
-Yuzuru's FS: chills....he laid it out all on the line and it was simply amazing
-Patrick's FS: I could watch him skate this program all day, it's mesmerizing

Other favorites:
-Virtue/Moir's FD: the chemistry and skating is just sublime and even with Scott's mistake, I could see that their 20 year partnership of trust and experience held them together.
-Yuzuru's SP: he was even more engaged with the crowd and it was just a delight to see!
-Shoma's FS: this was my favorite FS performance from him this season, and it was awesome seeing him skate this to the best potential!
-Gabby's FS: loved it!

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Well for one, I haven't seen it yet either, I was sleeping

Then why would you be posting in a topic that deals with the entire competition?

I am more interested in understanding the thoughts of a person that did watch and still found five other things that they considered more memorable.

amateur

Final Flight
Then why would you be posting in a topic that deals with the entire competition?

I am more interested in understanding the thoughts of a person that did watch and still found five other things that they considered more memorable.

well I did watch just about everything else this week, which is a heck of a lot of skating, and I also in fact did watch a few of the top men's LPs (including Hanyu in fact) but only from an audience fan-cam video as it was all I could find online so far today. I did give the reason why I would still pick the five other picks that I did (Wakaba Higuchi SP, Karen Chen SP, Stolbova/Klimov LP, Savchenko/Massot LP, Vasiljevs SP) as they all gave me the pleasure of a surprising discovery in some way, and maybe hit a personal style preference at the same time.. -- Now I can't say with 100% certainty that I wouldn't choose Hanyu also if I had seen it already in a better quality video, but I doubt it because the reasoning I did give for my own highlights still does stand... and Hanyu nailing his LP as we know he can, and skating in his style which I'm well familiar with (and which I enjoy though it's not my favourite), would not be a "highlight of the event" for me in the same way; this is not to deny at all that it is an extremely impressive achievement!

You know, there is a lot to take in in a week-long competition such as this, and a lot of different types of things to hope to see, and 5 highlight picks are not a lot....

(I do consider a couple of Hanyu's WR performances from last season during the GP to be highlights of last season, and fully felt them to be all-time greats, absolutely, at the time I was watching, if it makes you feel better...)

Last edited:

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
1 French Federation - Thank you Laurine Lecavelier for the stunning gift of your SP this season. It will forever be a part of me and, in my opinion, is the most beautiful SP of all time. (Yes, even with the fall that eviscerated me at 5am on Wednesday morning.) Lecavelier, Papadakis/Cizeron, and James/Ciprès are taking this sport to another level of artistry, poetry, raw emotion, personal revelation.

2 Jin Boyang (SP/FS) - Spellbinding performer, beautiful soul. Determination, hard work, courage, and open-heartedness. Perfection; my heart!

3 Ziegler/Kiefer (SP); Savchenko/Massot and Sui/Han (FS) - Glorious and extraordinarily moving.

4 Tóth Ivett (SP) - Pure, unadulterated joy.

5 Patrick Chan (SP) - So gentle, melancholy, touching, nuanced. Perfectly skated.

Honorable mention: Katelyn Osmond (SP), Evgenia Medvedeva (FS), Mai Mihara (FS), Zijun Li (FS), Deniss Vasiljevs (SP/FS), Maria Sotskova (SP), Stolbova/Klimov (FS), Yuzuru Hanyu (FS), Eric Radford and Evgenia Tarasova skating through injury, Valentina Marchei and Tursynbaeva's mom in the Kiss & Cry

<3

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Oh and how could I forget...

Honorable mention (cont'd): The woman who held the door for the skaters at the Kiss & Cry and her facial expressions. She is a legend to me.

randomfan

Record Breaker
So I'm going to put both performances and other extra things that I enjoyed in this event. Haven't wached pairs and ice dance yet.

5. Yuzuru Hanyu's FS
Not my favourite program, but incredible performance! Congrats for the win!
4. Gabrielle Daleman's SP and FS
I'm shocked but extremely happy for Gabby. She was awesome out there and she deserved a spot on the world podium.
3. Ladies of Team Canada
To see them both on the podium and create a historic moment for Canada...no words about how great I feel about this. And their Kiss and Cry reactions made me even happier.
2. Shoma Uno's FS
My absolute favourite program of the season. I enjoyed his GPF performance a little bit more, but this one was still very epic too. Great to see him on the podium!
1. Tursynbaeva's Mom
The star of the event for me. I love her hilarious dances and reactions in the Kiss and Cry, accompanied with Elizabet's annoyed looks. :biggrin:

Honourable Mentions:
Dabin Choi's SP and FS
Thank you Dabin for skating so well and saving South Korea for the Olympics! :clap:
Elizabet Tursynbaeva's SP and FS
I think I'm a fan of Elizabet now. She threw down two good performances here and finished well. Good job!

And also other notable ones:
Mai Mihara's FS
Carolina Kostner's FS
Karen Chen's SP and FS

cocotaffy

Final Flight
P/C FD, simply the best
Hanyu FD
Savchenko/Massot LP
Sui/Han SD
Hubbell/Donohue SD

itoja

Rinkside

Wow Hanyu Inquisition is here, get on your knees before our GOD or you'll be crucified :palmf:
What is it with Hanyu fans??? Why this need to bully everyone to like your favorite?

For your information the thread's title is "Your top 5 faves ", people like what they like. Why haven't you, for example, included among your faves the brilliant, record breaking Ice Dance programs - V/M's SD and P/C's FD? You're probably not interested in ID as much, guess what, people watch skating for different reasons.
For me Hanyu's FS was brilliantly skated, but choreographically, there is nothing interesting in it, it is the same free program he has skated for years, just different music. I watched it live, it was great, but I don't have an urge to watch it again.

The programs I am rewatching:

- Papadakis/Cizeron's FD
- Virtue/Moir's SD
(and many more ID programs, especially Gilles/Poirier's SD & FD, but if only choosing 5...)
- Sui/Han's FS
(and SP of course, their SD choreo is even more exquisite, but camera work here was horrendous, thankfully we still have 4CC performance!)
- Javier Fernandez's SP
- Shoma Uno's FS
(and yes, I prefer to watch Spiderman Boyang, Patrick's SP, Jason's FS before Yuzuru's FS, can I?!)

No place left for ladies, great performances by Kaetlyn and Gabrielle, but actually nothing outstanding choreographically here, maybe Wakaba SP. Oh, forgot Evgenia, same as Yuzuru for me - no special wish to rewatch.

Sorry for the rant in this nice thread, but I just cannot :gaah:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Oh this is a hard one! In no particular order:
Yuzuru's FS
Javier's SP
Zhenya's FS
Wenjing and Cong's FS
Tessa and Scott's SD

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Best of all was the audience and the atmosphere in the arena: simply fantastic!!!

When the whole audience started clapping and encouraging Laurine and others after they fell, I realized that it was a really special audience. They were holding the skaters up with love and giving them strength. Quite beautiful to behold, I must say.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Wow Hanyu Inquisition is here, get on your knees before our GOD or you'll be crucified :palmf:
What is it with Hanyu fans??? Why this need to bully everyone to like your favorite?

For your information the thread's title is "Your top 5 faves ", people like what they like. Why haven't you, for example, included among your faves the brilliant, record breaking Ice Dance programs - V/M's SD and P/C's FD? You're probably not interested in ID as much, guess what, people watch skating for different reasons.
For me Hanyu's FS was brilliantly skated, but choreographically, there is nothing interesting in it, it is the same free program he has skated for years, just different music. I watched it live, it was great, but I don't have an urge to watch it again.

The programs I am rewatching:

- Papadakis/Cizeron's FD
- Virtue/Moir's SD
(and many more ID programs, especially Gilles/Poirier's SD & FD, but if only choosing 5...)
- Sui/Han's FS
(and SP of course, their SD choreo is even more exquisite, but camera work here was horrendous, thankfully we still have 4CC performance!)
- Javier Fernandez's SP
- Shoma Uno's FS
(and yes, I prefer to watch Spiderman Boyang, Patrick's SP, Jason's FS before Yuzuru's FS, can I?!)

No place left for ladies, great performances by Kaetlyn and Gabrielle, but actually nothing outstanding choreographically here, maybe Wakaba SP. Oh, forgot Evgenia, same as Yuzuru for me - no special wish to rewatch.

Sorry for the rant in this nice thread, but I just cannot :gaah:
You don't even know if that user is a Hanyu fan, (I've never seen that user in Yuzuru's fans thread btw), but yeah generalize an entire fandom I guess :rolleye: