Do world medalist get a monetary prize? | Golden Skate

Do world medalist get a monetary prize?

mintx

On the Ice
Does anyone know if worlds gives prize money? Does the USOC give performance bonuses too? How much ? This week could really help the skaters with funding for next year.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes, there is prize money for Worlds awarded in USD. I don't know about the USOC bonuses.

This is what I found on the ISU website:

Ladies/Men
1. $45,000
2. $27,000
3. $18,000
4. $13,000
5. $10,000
6. $7,000
7. $6,000
8. $5,000
9. $3,500
10. $3,000
11. $2,500
12. $2,000

Pairs (per couple):

1. $67,500
2. $40,500
3. $27,000
4. $19,500
5. $15,000
6. $10,500
7. $9,000
8. $7,500

Ice Dance (per couple):
1. $67,500
2. $40,500
3. $27,000
4. $19,500
5. $15,000
6. $10,500
7. $9,000
8. $7,500
9. $5,250
10. $4,500

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Does the USOC give performance bonuses too? How much ? This week could really help the skaters with funding for next year.

The USOC gives bonuses to medalists at world championships.

I do not know the amounts.

(My guess is that non-medalists do not receive USOC bonuses? But I do not claim to know for sure either way.)

ETA:
I am referring to USOC bonuses for world medalists in all Olympic sports, not limited to figure skating.
I mean medalists who represent the U.S., of course.​

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Crazy to think that something like 2 points could cost you $18000 to $27000 USD.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
It never seems fair to me that pair/dance partners get less money after it's split. Especially those poor pairs girls who are doing such risky things every day. And only the top 8 pairs get anything at all? :confused:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It never seems fair to me that pair/dance partners get less money after it's split. Especially those poor pairs girls who are doing such risky things every day. And only the top 8 pairs get anything at all? :confused:

Yeah :scowl: It's even worse in GP series because couples receive excatly same amount as single skaters, so when it's split for two it's only half of the amount.... There are some senior B's though, where prize money is twice as much for Pairs/ID teams as single skaters :)

NordEsque

On the Ice

Yeah :scowl: It's even worse in GP series because couples receive excatly same amount as single skaters, so when it's split for two it's only half of the amount.... There are some senior B's though, where prize money is twice as much for Pairs/ID teams as single skaters :)

Yeah it is pretty harsh, though I think that it would probably be too expensive to have it be double (I don't know the finances of the ISU but I don't think there is a lot of money), pretty sure that the single events bring in much more money overall as well

mintx

On the Ice
I wonder how some of the skaters can afford to stay in the sport, especially the older skaters? Even national level training takes so much time and funding. I am glad they get some compensation for big events and their national team stipend.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder how some of the skaters can afford to stay in the sport, especially the older skaters? Even national level training takes so much time and funding. I am glad they get some compensation for big events and their national team stipend.

I think that many US skaters come from wealthy families. Not all of them, but some. All families, even the wealthy, must make sacrifices, I imagine.

It seems rare nowadays to hear of a young skater like Peggy Fleming who came from exceedingly modest upbringing. I think I read that she and her mother once lived in a campground to save money. I know her mother sewed her skating costumes, even the one she wore in Grenoble.

Tonya Harding came from not-much-money, too. There was a US pair that I think were billed as the Truck Driver and the Waitress. But age is catching up and I can't remember their names. Rocky?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The truck driver and waitress pair were Rocky Marval and Calla Urbanski.