ISU World Team Trophy 2017 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

ISU World Team Trophy 2017

icellist

On the Ice
Radionova? I thought WTT went by Seasons World Standing. Radionova is 30th this season due to her lack of championship points. The only way I see it is if both Pogorilaya and Sotskova declined, but Tuktamysheva (18 SWR) is still above Radionova and would never decline. So they go by WR in which Radionova is ahead

OR

Someone mentioned that is SWR without CS and B scores. In which, Radionova is ahead of Tukt, and Pogo/Sots both declined still

If it's SWR without CS and B scores, the US team will be Karen Chen and Ashley Wagner. If it includes CS and B scores, the US team will be Karen Chen and Mirai Nagasu.
Since Ashley's announcement of switching to last season's SP, I wouldn't be surprised if she declined to work on her programs more for the Olympics already.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Radionova? I thought WTT went by Seasons World Standing. Radionova is 30th this season due to her lack of championship points. The only way I see it is if both Pogorilaya and Sotskova declined, but Tuktamysheva (18 SWR) is still above Radionova and would never decline. So they go by WR in which Radionova is ahead

OR

Someone mentioned that is SWR without CS and B scores. In which, Radionova is ahead of Tukt, and Pogo/Sots both declined still

If it's SWR without CS and B scores, the US team will be Karen Chen and Ashley Wagner. If it includes CS and B scores, the US team will be Karen Chen and Mirai Nagasu.
Since Ashley's announcement of switching to last season's SP, I wouldn't be surprised if she declined to work on her programs more for the Olympics already.

It's the results from this season that determine which teams qualify. It's the World Standings for which skaters go, not the Season World Rankings. The WS has the Russian ladies in this order: Medvedeva, Pogorilaya, Tuktamysheva, Radionova. Only skaters who are the top ranked from their country and finished top ten at Worlds have to go. So I don't know that the fed had to offer it to anyone except Evgenia.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Does anyone feel bad for the men? The entire final group (minus Javi) have to compete against each other. Again.

I, on the other hand, can't wait to watch them again!

I think the skaters are so exhausted after worlds that they can't really be expected to perform at worlds level. I look at this as kind of a cheesefest.
A fun, team event to close out the season.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So, US men?

Jason and Adam are the highest ranked, but I don't think Adam is even back on the ice yet, let alone anywhere near competition fitness (and I'd hate to see him rush things just for a cheesefest!). Next after Adam is Nathan, but after those problems at Worlds, is it worth the risk for him?

Next after Nathan is...Max.

Oh, joy. Much as I want to see my matador again this season, the Vincent-pushers would absolutely go to town on him and it'd be 2015 all over again (though hopefully with classier behaviour from Vincent than we got from Adam).

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, US men?

Jason and Adam are the highest ranked, but I don't think Adam is even back on the ice yet, let alone anywhere near competition fitness (and I'd hate to see him rush things just for a cheesefest!). Next after Adam is Nathan, but after those problems at Worlds, is it worth the risk for him?

Oh, joy. Much as I want to see my matador again this season, the Vincent-pushers would absolutely go to town on him and it'd be 2015 all over again (though hopefully with classier behaviour from Vincent than we got from Adam).

I'm a Vincent-pusher. I'd be perfectly happy for Max to go instead.

Didn't Max debut a new program at WTT one year? Or am I confused and making that up?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
one of my favourite events (I know I'm minority) - Japan, great audience and last chance to see some programs I love this season. Would love to see Anna there despite what happened at Worlds (I'm naïve, but I hope she had a possibility to go, but wanted to more time to settle herself...). Would also love to see Adam for US, but he should not rush himself, I'm avid fan of US Men in general, so every other option along Jason will be great. Hope Wenjing/Han will participate, but also will understand if they want to rest.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Didn't Max debut a new program at WTT one year? Or am I confused and making that up?

Yes, in 2015 he debuted both Nessun Dorma and Black Swan (which induced several more posts of nastiness about how he should not be allowed to do so). The reasoning was that by the time they got to WTT, he had not competed in three months (since the USFS did not choose him for 4CC and he was first alternate for Worlds), so they had started working towards next season. Memorably, no-one actually saw the performance of Nessun Dorma (except for the people in the arena) for the first 18 hours or so, because the world feed cut out just as his name was called! Then sabinfire came to our rescue. The Black Swan performance was the original version of the program before Mr Mills' insistence that the music had to be in chronological order destroyed it.

Actually, if by some chance he wound up at WTT again...I would wonder if he'd be bringing a new FS.

tulosai

Record Breaker
one of my favourite events (I know I'm minority) - Japan, great audience and last chance to see some programs I love this season. Would love to see Anna there despite what happened at Worlds (I'm naïve, but I hope she had a possibility to go, but wanted to more time to settle herself...). Would also love to see Adam for US, but he should not rush himself, I'm avid fan of US Men in general, so every other option along Jason will be great. Hope Wenjing/Han will participate, but also will understand if they want to rest.

I like this event too! It's just good fun, nothing profound or amazing about it :)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, in 2015 he debuted both Nessun Dorma and Black Swan (which induced several more posts of nastiness about how he should not be allowed to do so). The reasoning was that by the time they got to WTT, he had not competed in three months (since the USFS did not choose him for 4CC and he was first alternate for Worlds), so they had started working towards next season. Memorably, no-one actually saw the performance of Nessun Dorma (except for the people in the arena) for the first 18 hours or so, because the world feed cut out just as his name was called! Then sabinfire came to our rescue. The Black Swan performance was the original version of the program before Mr Mills' insistence that the music had to be in chronological order destroyed it.

Actually, if by some chance he wound up at WTT again...I would wonder if he'd be bringing a new FS.

That's what I'm hoping. Stuff like that would make this event interesting, rather than having skaters trot out old programs they haven't been working on. We've all seen those programs a lot by now.

Besides that, I'm just going to say it. I like Max a lot, and even if WTT would be breadcrumbs, I hope he gets it.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker

I am with you on this event. I love it! It is a lot of fun for the skaters and fans! There have been some very memorable WTT in the past and I fully expect this one to be just as good.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I am with you on this event. I love it! It is a lot of fun for the skaters and fans! There have been some very memorable WTT in the past and I fully expect this one to be just as good.

team France skits in K'n'C from 2012 were one of the best - glasses for Joubert, mummy pyramid after Nathalie/Fabian FD, samba carnival after their SD, lots of great memories for me!

and reaction after Daisuke Takahashi FS with all teams demanding high score and win - still warms my heart:love:

SkaterX

On the Ice
So are most countries waiting til the last minute to announce who's going? I keep checking but so far I just see the Russian skaters listed.

DonnaR

On the Ice
I was at Skate Oakville's gala on the weekend where Alaine Chartrand performed and it was announced that she would be at the WTT. That's all I've heard about Canadian entries except that Meagan/Eric hope to attend depending on his hip injury.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
So, US men?

:noshake:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I'm looking forward to it. It may be a cheesefest, but I believe scores earned there count just as much to PBs and SBs as World Championship scores.

Plus, I think it was at 2015 WTT where after Jason's FP, all the skaters from all the countries crowded into the KnC with him to wait for his scores. Not to be funny, but genuine affection.

Jason said later he was very touched, and so was I.

temadd

Final Flight
It's always been a fluff competition. Just a step above Ice Wars.

Fun, but meaningless, although the winners are officially ISU Champions, which must be nice for them.

Every now and then, we might get a peek at someone's program for the upcoming year. Otherwise they generally dust off the previous program.

It may be meaningless as far as world ranking and prestige, but if it offers the same prize money as Team Challenge Cup (last season), it is worth for the skaters. Each skater on the winning team won $ in the ten thousands.

icellist

On the Ice
presumably team china should be

Boyang Jin, Han Yan
Zijun Li, Xiangning Li
Sui/Han
Wang/Liu

but if Han Yan is still injured, who goes? China had someone at junior worlds, but only 2 men's entrants for CoC. Does He Zhang get a break? I don't even know if he's still skating this season.

I like how it's 2 North American countries, 2 Asian countries, and 2 European countries.

b-man

Final Flight
It may be meaningless as far as world ranking and prestige, but if it offers the same prize money as Team Challenge Cup (last season), it is worth for the skaters. Each skater on the winning team won $ in the ten thousands.

I think each skater on the winning team gets in the vicinity of $20k USD, and even on the 3rd or 4th place team skaters get around $15K. Prize money wise, its one of the most rewarding competitions.

da96103

Record Breaker
presumably team china should be

Boyang Jin, Han Yan
Zijun Li, Xiangning Li
Sui/Han
Wang/Liu

but if Han Yan is still injured, who goes? China had someone at junior worlds, but only 2 men's entrants for CoC. Does He Zhang get a break? I don't even know if he's still skating this season.

I like how it's 2 North American countries, 2 Asian countries, and 2 European countries.

When did they change it from a continent-based competition to country-based.