ISU World Team Trophy 2017 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

ISU World Team Trophy 2017

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
No Shibs?! [emoji30]

Only one Ice Dance couple gets to go and C/B are ranked first in the World Standings, so I guess that's why they're the ones going as per the participation criteria?

VIKTOR

Rinkside
Only one Ice Dance couple gets to go and C/B are ranked first in the World Standings, so I guess that's why they're the ones going as per the participation criteria?

Ashley Cain and Timothy LeDuc?

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If Ashley didn't want to do WTT, she was put in the tough position of being unable to refuse. Since she met both criteria - finishing in the top 10 at Worlds and ranked as the 1st US lady on the World Standing list there were consequences if she refused. In section 3.2 of the announcement:

... if this Skater/Couple elects in advance of the ISU World Team Trophy not to participate in the ISU World Team Trophy (for whatever reason), he/she/they will not be permitted to participate in any other competitions, shows, and exhibitions from Monday noon (April 3, 2017) after the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2017, during the ISU World Team Trophy, and until April 23, 2017.

Ashley is scheduled to perform in SOI on April 13th and if she refused to participate in WTT she would not be able to perform. (The same is also true for Chock/Bates.)

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
If Ashley didn't want to do WTT, she was put in the tough position of being unable to refuse. Since she met both criteria - finishing in the top 10 at Worlds and ranked as the 1st US lady on the World Standing list there were consequences if she refused. In section 3.2 of the announcement:

... if this Skater/Couple elects in advance of the ISU World Team Trophy not to participate in the ISU World Team Trophy (for whatever reason), he/she/they will not be permitted to participate in any other competitions, shows, and exhibitions from Monday noon (April 3, 2017) after the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2017, during the ISU World Team Trophy, and until April 23, 2017.
Wait, is this the extent of the sanctions on refusing to participate? 20 days?

rosy14

Final Flight
About P/C not going: they are France only chance of medal in OG. This also why this year there is not French tour. I understand people being disappointed but I understand why they choose with their fédération not to go.

But did they go two years ago ?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I would have to assume that Max turned down the alternate role.

Otherwise, the USFS has gone against their selection criteria when choosing the men's alternate.

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Wait, is this the extent of the sanctions on refusing to participate? 20 days?

This vague statement closes out section 3.2 (Consequences of non-participation):

In addition, depending on the circumstances, the concerned Skater/Couple and ISU Members may be subject to sanctions in accordance with Rule 136, paragraph 6 of the General Regulations.

It reads like there could be additional sanctions to the skater / country for non-participation but it may be more of a threat than anything else.

tulosai

Record Breaker

Ashley is scheduled to perform in SOI on April 13th and if she refused to participate in WTT she would not be able to perform. (The same is also true for Chock/Bates.)

This. For many skaters this prohibition is sort of a joke, but Ashley seems to depend on the money she gets from SOI to fund her training. I can understand why she wouldn't want to miss even one show.

Of course it's always conceivable that she does wish to go.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
.. and Mirai is an alternate. Again..
I am wondering if there is any limit of this endless Ashley pimping on Mirai's expense. How much can you trample on this girl?

By what measure should Mirai have been selected instead of Ashley?

slider11

Medalist
I wonder if Ashley Wagner was "convinced" by USFSA that skating at WTT was in her best interest - a redemption skate. I gained respect for Ashley during Worlds. Her performances may not have been medal-worthy but I saw a more mature, genuine person. Little things like holding Karen's credentials and bag while she spoke to the media impressed me. Perhaps she was a little too Olympic focused. I am disappointed not to see Mirai but it is Ashley's place. I would have really liked to have seen Castelli and Tran over Cain and LeDuc. I'm also surprised to see Duhamel and Radford considering his injury. I think Team Canada looks like they have the edge over Japan.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
What I posted was straight from Ice Network.

KIAL, I think we all are grateful that you were the first to post the official USFS roster from IN :thank:.

I'm pretty sure that what shiro was questioning was why earlier lists were posted (not by you) that originally did not even have the notation of "not official" (although it was added later). The earlier "not official" lists do not indicate whose speculation they were, but the speculation was far from reliable in the case of the USFS entries.

My two cents re the USFS entries is that it is impossible to dissect the assignments in any consistent way.

The USFS announcement of 2015 WTT entries had given some criteria for making the assignments.
It is notable that the USFS announcement for 2017 gives no criteria.

Four years ago at 2013 WTT (in the pre-Olympic season), Davis/White and Virtue/Moir did not compete -- so at least in the past, there has been leeway in adhering to ISU World Standings (no matter what the ISU document says).

USFS clearly did not go by ISU World Standings when giving Cain/Leduc the WTT assignment this year. They are below Castelli/Tran in the ISU World Standings.

Only my speculation, but I have a feeling that with its 2017 WTT choices, USFS is trying to reward and/or show confidence in certain skaters. Only my speculation.
(I am talking only about this year's USFS assignments for WTT. Not about USFS assignments for Worlds or anything else.)

Last edited:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
In the case of Cain & LeDuc, they were in the unusual position of being flown to Helsinki to be on standby until the last possible moment. I had been thinking it was because of Alexa (because she did not practice the first day; i think something was going on with her that hasn't been reported), but perhaps Haven also was being monitored.

Also, it makes sense to give them international exposure over Castelli/Tran, since C/T can't go to the Olympics. If this was 2015 and not 2017, perhaps the decision would have been different.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
KIAL, I think we all are grateful that you were the first to post the official USFS roster from IN :thank:.

I'm pretty sure that what shiro was questioning was why earlier lists were posted (not by you) that originally did not even have the notation of "not official" (although it was added later). The earlier "not official" lists do not indicate whose speculation they were, but the speculation was far from reliable in the case of the USFS entries.

Sorry I should have specified. But yes that was what I was referring to, thank you :)

Tastetherainbow

Medalist
Didn't see anyone post this, but official entries are up: http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pa...nce/results/201617/isu-world-team-trophy-2017

Interesting, both S/H and Y/Z aren't going, as well as V/M and P/C. That kind of dulls the excitement for me a little to be honest :(

And why why why are D/R going? They should really take the time to rest instead of overdoing it; they can prove themselves again when they are healthy. Same with T/M.

Last edited:

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Anyone know why the Shibs aren't going?

Chock & Bates would have been asked first. It's based on world standing (C/B are #1 in points over last 3 years), and since they were top 10 at worlds, they are "required" to go or face a penalty. After C/B I believe the alternates are up to the federation.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist

My two cents re the USFS entries is that it is impossible to dissect the assignments in any consistent way.

The USFS announcement of 2015 WTT entries had given some criteria for making the assignments.
It is notable that the USFS announcement for 2017 gives no criteria.

Four years ago at 2013 WTT (in the pre-Olympic season), Davis/White and Virtue/Moir did not compete -- so at least in the past, there has been leeway in adhering to ISU World Standings (no matter what the ISU document says).

USFS clearly did not go by ISU World Standings when giving Cain/Leduc the WTT assignment this year. They are below Castelli/Tran in the ISU World Standings.

Only my speculation, but I have a feeling that with its 2017 WTT choices, USFS is trying to reward and/or show confidence in certain skaters. Only my speculation.
(I am talking only about this year's USFS assignments for WTT. Not about USFS assignments for Worlds or anything else.)

Call me uncool, but what does KIAL mean? :scratch2: