Grand Prix 2017-18 News and Chat | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix 2017-18 News and Chat

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It's never too early :rofl:

Now that we're officially in the off season it's time to talk about who's guaranteed grand prix spots, who may get them, and how things are unfolding until we finally get more official news in just 3-4 very short months :D

I'll post a dance analysis to start us off in a few minutes :)

lol.. i love this thread every year ;)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Question: aren't in Pairs and Ice Dance only top 10 teams at Worlds guaranteed 2 GPs instead of top 12?

jimini

On the Ice
If Rostelecom doesn't happen, will the ISU replace it with a different event so there are still 6?

tulosai

Record Breaker
Question: aren't in Pairs and Ice Dance only top 10 teams at Worlds guaranteed 2 GPs instead of top 12?

:jaw: You are actually right... I will go back and edit the dance when I have a minute.

It won't actually have really any chance of changing the fact that teams 11 and 12 at Worlds are going to get 2 spots though- their SB's are well within the top 25 (interestingly at 11 and 12 respectively and in the right order too!) so when extra spots are assigned going down the SB list they'll certainly get 2 spots that way in any case.

blackey

On the Ice
Just wondering, I never really understand how this work, does the skater get the chance to choose where they wanna go or they have to get the invitation from the fed first?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
And hey I'll do the men!

Men has 72 GP spots available.

Top 12 at Worlds, 2 spots guaranteed:
1-2 Yuzuru Hanyu (JPN)
3-4 Shoma Uno (JPN)
5-6 Boyang Jin (CHN)
7-8 Javier Fernandez (ESP)
9-10 Patrick Chan (CAN)
11-12 Nathan Chan (USA)
13-14 Jason Brown (USA)
15-16 Mikhail Kolyada (RUS)
17-18 Kevin Reynolds (CAN)
19-20 Alexei Bychenko (ISR)
21-22 Maxim Kovtun (RUS)
23-24 Misha Ge (UZE), if he continues; then Moris Kvitelashvili (GEO)

The following guaranteed 1 spot by Top 24 SB (but will likely get 2)
25-26 Denis Ten (KAZ)
27-28 Adam Rippon (USA)
29-30Vincent Zhou (USA)
31-32 Takahito Mura (JPN)
33-34 Keiji Tanaka (JPN)
35-36 Dmitri Aliev (RUS)
37-38 Alexander Samarin (RUS)
39-40 Sergei Voronov (RUS)
41-42 Alexander Petrov (RUS)
43-44 Max Aaron (USA)
45-46 Jorik Hendrickx (BEL)
47-48 Jun Hwan Cha (KOR)

The following are guaranteed 1 by Top 24 World's Ranking (they will likely get 2)
49-50 Daniel Samohin (ISR)
51-52 Michal Brezina (CZE)
53-54 Deniss Vasiljevs (LAT)
55-56 Chafik BESSEGHIER (FRA) (He'll get a host pick)
57-58 Grant Hochstein (USA)

The following are not guaranteed spots but could get at least one or two (but not all on this list will; 12 spots left)
Moris Kvitelashvili GEO (if he doesn't get the top 12 at Worlds spot if Misha Ge decides to stay). He's close enough on SB list to get two.
Nam Nguyen CAN (He's 26 WR, he should be able to get one spot, if not two)
Brenden Kerry AUS (I think he's close enough on SB list to get 2, but not guaranteed)
Han Yan CHN (He will likely get a host pick and is close enough on SB list to get another)
Alexander Majorov SWE
Tim Dolensky USA
Paul Fentz GER
Eladj Balde CAN (host pick?)
Keegan Messing, CAN (host pick?)
Roman Sadovsky, CAN (another host pick possibility)
Kevin Aymoz, FRA (host pick for sure)
Daisuke Murakami, JPN (host pick?)
Ross Miner, USA (host pick?)
Michael Christian MARTINEZ, PHI
Julian Zhi Jie YEE, MAS
Ivan RIGHINI, ITA
Liam Firus, CAN (host pick?)
Stephanie Walker, SUI
Alexander Johnson, USA (host pick?)
Yaroslav PANIOT, UKR
Ryuju HINO, JPN
Ivan PAVLOV, UKR
Sean Rabbitt, USA (host pick?)
Joshua Farris, USA (host pick?)
Nic Nadeau (host pick?)

Last edited:

bwayrose7

On the Ice
^ Although he's obviously not on any rankings after 2 years off, I would think that Joshua Farris would be also a likely host pick for USA, right?

Daniel1998

Final Flight
If Adian Pitkeev heals in time, I would imagine he'd get a host pick of some sorts. Any update on his condition, by the way? Is he still with Buianova?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I think Alexei Krasnozhon plans to stay junior and I believe Alexei Erokhov will also. Thanks for the list Mrs. P - but did you forget Denis Ten?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think Alexei Krasnozhon plans to stay junior and I believe Alexei Erokhov will also. Thanks for the list Mrs. P - but did you forget Denis Ten?

I did. I think I skipped him in the AB list cause I thought he was part of the top 12 list. Doh.

Nic has a shot at a host pick but doesn't have a guaranteed spot under the criteria.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Okay finishing it up...

Pairs Analysis

Pairs have (probably) 48 spots like last year.

Pairs Guaranteed 2 spots because of their Worlds Placement
-20 spots taken, 2 each to each of the top pairs

1-2. Sui/Han (CHN)
3-4. Savchenko/Massot (GER)
5-6. Tarasova/Morozov (RUS)
7-8. Yu/Zhang (CHN)
9-10. Stolbova/Klimov (RUS)
11-12. Ilyushechkina/Moscovitch (CAN)
13-14. Duhamel/Radford (CAN)
15-16. James/Cipres (FRA)
17-18. Marchei/Hotarek (ITA)
19-20. Scimeca/Knierim (USA)

Pairs Guaranteed 1 Spot based on their palcement in top 24 on the Seasons Best List
-12 additional pairs, at least 22 spots will likely be taken
-While all these pairs are technically only guaranteed one spot, since once additional spots become available they are filled by going down the SB list it's effectively certain that even with only 48 spots most of these teams will get two, which I've reflected in the spot allocation

21-22. Seguin/Bilodeau (CAN)
23-24. Peng/Jin (CHN)
25-26. Zabiiako/Enbert (RUS)
27-28. Denney/Frazier (USA)
29-30. Moore-Towers/Marinaro (CAN)
31-32. Della Monica/Guarise (ITA)
33-34. Duskova/Bidar (CZE)
35-36. Astakhova/Rogonov (RUS)
37-38. Kavaguti/Smirnov (RUS) (will probably get host pick if need it)
39-40. Wang/Wang (CHN) (will probably get host pick if need it)
41. Castelli/Tran (USA)
42. Kayne/O'Shea (USA) (possible but not certain they and/or Castelli/Tran will initially get 2 spots and/or host pick but at least 2 other teams are in the running for the host pick so this is very dicey)

Pairs Guaranteed a Spot because of their placement in the top 24 on the World Standings List
-3 pairs

43. Ziegler/Kiefer (AUT)
44-45. Suto/Boudreau-Audet (JPN) (ETA- forgot JPN has host pick too! These two will get that so they'll get two spots)
46. Liu/Johnson (USA) (have to move up due to his age I think, so won't stay junior, also possible host pick)

Pairs Guaranteed One Spot because they are JWC

47. Alexandrovskaya/Windsor (AUS)

This leaves 0-1 :rofl: likely spots depending on USA host pick and if the first skaters on the SB list are the ones chosen when going down it (countries have a choice of top 5 next best skaters) which will probably be filled by some combination of the following pairs going down the SB list

-Cain/LeDuc (USA) (good chance of host pick but stiff competition for it obviously)
-Ok Ryom/Sik Kim (PRK)
-Ustimkina/Volodin (RUS) (decent chance of host pick)
-Ziegler/Kiefer (AUT) (tend to luck out on a second spot)

Last edited:

euroskate

Final Flight
Ziegler/ Kiefer are from AUT - Austria not Germany

due to politics I guess the second Germand Pair Hase/Seegert will get a spot somewhere

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
pairs : How far down the list are Ruest Wolfe? Last year they got invited to Russia's GP as a brand new team.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Okay finishing it up...

Pairs Analysis

Pairs have (probably) 48 spots like last year.

Pairs Guaranteed 2 spots because of their Worlds Placement
-20 spots taken, 2 each to each of the top pairs

1-2. Sui/Han (CHN)
3-4. Savchenko/Massot (GER)
5-6. Tarasova/Morozov (RUS)
7-8. Yu/Zhang (CHN)
9-10. Stolbova/Klimov (RUS)
11-12. Ilyushechkina/Moscovitch (CAN)
13-14. Duhamel/Radford (CAN)
15-16. James/Cipres (FRA)
17-18. Marchei/Hotarek (ITA)
19-20. Scimeca/Knierim (USA)

Pairs Guaranteed 1 Spot based on their palcement in top 24 on the Seasons Best List
-12 additional pairs, at least 22 spots will likely be taken
-While all these pairs are technically only guaranteed one spot, since once additional spots become available they are filled by going down the SB list it's effectively certain that even with only 48 spots most of these teams will get two, which I've reflected in the spot allocation

21-22. Seguin/Bilodeau (CAN)
23-24. Peng/Jin (CHN)
25-26. Zabiiako/Enbert (RUS)
27-28. Denney/Frazier (USA)
29-30. Moore-Towers/Marinaro (CAN)
31-32. Della Monica/Guarise (ITA)
33-34. Duskova/Bidar (CZE)
35-36. Astakhova/Rogonov (RUS)
37-38. Kavaguti/Smirnov (RUS) (will probably get host pick if need it)
39-40. Wang/Wang (CHN) (will probably get host pick if need it)
41. Castelli/Tran (USA)
42. Kayne/O'Shea (USA) (possible but not certain they and/or Castelli/Tran will initially get 2 spots and/or host pick but at least 2 other teams are in the running for the host pick so this is very dicey)

Pairs Guaranteed a Spot because of their placement in the top 24 on the World Standings List
-3 pairs

43. Ziegler/Kiefer (GER)
44-45. Suto/Boudreau-Audet (JPN) (ETA- forgot JPN has host pick too! These two will get that so they'll get two spots)
46. Liu/Johnson (USA) (have to move up due to his age I think, so won't stay junior, also possible host pick)

This leaves 0-2 :rofl: likely spots depending on USA host pick and if the first skaters on the SB list are the ones chosen when going down it (countries have a choice of top 5 next best skaters) which will probably be filled by some combination of the following pairs going down the SB list

-Cain/LeDuc (USA) (good chance of host pick but stiff competition for it obviously)
-Ok Ryom/Sik Kim (PRK)
-Ustimkina/Volodin (RUS) (decent chance of host pick)
-Ziegler/Kiefer (GER) (tend to luck out on a second spot)

You forgot about Aleksandrovskaya/Windsor (AUS). As a Junior World Champions I think they are guaranteed one spot. And they will likely get two, since they were able to qualify to Free at Worlds.

tulosai

Record Breaker
You forgot about Aleksandrovskaya/Windsor (AUS). As a Junior World Champions I think they are guaranteed one spot. And they will likely get two, since they were able to qualify to Free at Worlds.

People thought that jwc were guaranteed a spot last year too but no one could find it in the rules. I don't see it this year either.

Their wc lp finish means nothing unfortunately. The only thing that matters about the wc is if you're in the top 10 or not. After that nothing about worlds is considered.