Grand Prix 2017-18 News and Chat | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix 2017-18 News and Chat

frida80

Record Breaker
Why can't Osmond do SA? SC is 2nd event and SA is 6th event. The other events are yet to be confirmed so CoC is also not impossible if it becomes the 5th event for example.

SA and SC are most advantageous for skaters from US and Canada. If Canada wants both ladies in in the GPF, they send Gabby to SA.

Barb

Record Breaker
2017 GP Events schedule

Cup of Russia - Oct. 19-22
Skate Canada - Oct. 26-29
Cup of China - Nov. 2-5
NHK Trophy - Nov. 9-12
Trophee de France - Nov. 16-19
Skate America - Nov. 24-26
GPF Dec. 7-10

link
http://www.nbcsports.com/olympic-sports-schedule

I guess there are high possibilities for Evgenia and Yuzu participate at Skate America.

If Evgenia does not participate in Russia as last year. She loves Japan, so NHK and maybe Skate America. Yuzu NHK and Skate America because is near to Canada.

Other predictions :

Shibs Russia and Skate America
V/M Canada and NHK
P/C China and France

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
If Weaver & Poje go to SC, then they will have to go up against Virtue & Moir and either Chock & Bates or Hubbell & Donahue. Either that or SC puts up all three Canadian teams in their home event & leaves one of the Canadian teams with a 3rd place finish before they even head to Europe.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
If Weaver & Poje go to SC, then they will have to go up against Virtue & Moir and either Chock & Bates or Hubbell & Donahue. Either that or SC puts up all three Canadian teams in their home event & leaves one of the Canadian teams with a 3rd place finish before they even head to Europe.

didn't happen this year... won't happen next year... I am sure Weapo an Voir won't meet until GPF or Nationals.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
They will choose Skate America?

well they cannot go to Russia this time since B/S will get host pick there...

I wouldn't mind for them to go to Skate America... Sure, Shibs will go there... but would the US fed take the risk of putting chock and bates/ hubbell donohue there??

I don't think so... because it would be the same as if Canada had all their teams competing against one another... so I wouldn't be surprised if Chock and Bates ended up in SC and Weapo in SA ;)

V/M will get SC I am guessing that Shibs will get SA and P/C France... So if V/M go to SC, pretty much, the only other choice for them is NHK unless they want to compete back to back...

Considering Russia will take B/S, Weapo should take China in order not to have back to back events... should they go to France of USA? I'd say USA :)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
If W&P don't go to SC and don't meet up with V&M (who are likely to choose NHK), then the most likely events for Weaver & Poje are COC and TDF. (W&P can't go to Russia with B&S there, and I don't see W&P going up against the Shibs and a plausible second top U.S. team in their backyard at SA. I don't see USFSA inviting W&P to do so either).

Barb

Record Breaker
If W&P don't go to SC and don't meet up with V&M (who are likely to choose NHK), then the most likely events for Weaver & Poje are COC and TDF. (W&P can't go to Russia with B&S there, and I don't see W&P going up against the Shibs and a plausible second top U.S. team in their backyard at SA. I don't see USFSA inviting W&P to do so either).

If this depends of W/P they should choose Skate America, they were very close to the Shibs in Worlds, more than to P/C.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
would the US fed take the risk of putting chock and bates/ hubbell donohue there??

Probably, but I think it's a bad idea. I don't see what this has to do with Weaver & Poje getting invited to SA though. They aren't in the same seeded group as H&D and C&B. USFSA can invite Cappellini & Lanotte (Hoping this is likely! C&L did very well the last time they were at SA so they may want to come) or Bobrova & Soloviev (I don't see Russia caring for this idea) in W&P's tier.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Probably, but I think it's a bad idea. I don't see what this has to do with Weaver & Poje getting invited to SA though. They aren't in the same seeded group as H&D and C&B. USFSA can invite Cappellini & Lanotte (Hoping this is likely! C&L did very well the last time they were at SA so they may want to come) or Bobrova & Soloviev (I don't see Russia caring for this idea) in W&P's tier.

hold on...

i thought the hosts could pick one skater/pair from the top 6 seeds... are you saying they pick at every tier?

I thought hosts picked ONCE in the top 6 seeds... then it's the skaters who go in order. In other words, if I am correct, the USA pick the Shibs, then it's not up to them to pick until the first 6 seeds are assigned... then they can pick the other american teams which will mean at least one of them will be eliminated from GPF... bad move.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Here is my understanding:

ALL host athletes are selected first.

Then the gold medalists wishes are traditionally honored. The silver medalists wishes are traditionally honored. The bronze medalists get what is left.

Then the hosts go around and select from the next set of three teams. Athletes can tell their federations which events they want, select priorities. Federations can share those wishes or they can politic on behalf of their athletes' or coaches' wishes prior to the draw so that certain countries will pick that team. But each host is assigned an order for the selection. One host selects a team, then another, then another, etc. until all of the 4-6 teams are assigned two spots.

The same thing repeats for the next three teams. (Actually, I've heard conflicting info on this, but it seems logical as you don't see those athletes at the same events either).

Then . . . I don't know how it works with team ten. But ultimately hosts go around and select all the other guaranteed spots. And then they fill the openings. (Last year, for dance, it looked like they filled those openings by honoring the SB list and working their way from the top down).

So S.A. might not have a choice about W&P, if they are one of the last two hosts to select and the other hosts have already filled their openings with C&L and B&S. But if SA is early in the rotation, then they will have a say on who comes to compete from tier 4-6 and then tier 7-9.

Actually, if SA does not want either C&B and H&D (traditionally they take #3 and they have taken #2 in the past--which backfired, IMO), SA does have the power to avoid this problem. All they would need to do would be to name two lower-ranked U.S. dance teams or reserve their host spots as TBD. This happens first. Before even the medalists pick. Which would mean that Gilles & Poirier would be assigned SA.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
one way or another, if we look at what Skate Canada did last year, I am willing to bet that Weapo and Voir will only compete against each other at GPF if both qualify or at Nationals... you cannot save them all,

G/P will be at Skate Canada with Soucisse /Firus.. that's the only way I think for Soucisse /Firus to get a GP anyways, so Canada needs to do that, knowing that G/P will get a second assignment anyways.

Last edited:

sc8

On the Ice
World standings should consider after point reset instead of current one. After cut out 2014/15 season and 70% of 2015/16 season... The result will be different.

I completely agree! In fact, I think it should be current season count 100%, prior season 67%, and two seasons ago 33%, but that's another forum I think.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
SA and SC are most advantageous for skaters from US and Canada. If Canada wants both ladies in in the GPF, they send Gabby to SA.

Canada cannot "send" Gabby to SA. That's not how it works. Because she's the #3 seed, Gabby can get SA only if Medvedeva and Osmond don't want it. IMO, Medvedeva will probably want SA since she hasn't skated there yet.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Canada cannot "send" Gabby to SA. That's not how it works. Because she's the #3 seed, Gabby can get SA only if Medvedeva and Osmond don't want it. IMO, Medvedeva will probably want SA since she hasn't skated there yet.

Didn't Evgenia win SA last season?

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Medvedeva won gold at SA 2015 in Milwaukee. 2016 was Ashley.

Last edited: