For All of the Teachers | Golden Skate

For All of the Teachers

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
IMO teachers have one of the most difficult jobs in the world. They work hard, have to put up with a lot, and are not paid nearly what they are worth. We have several teachers here at GS and as they are heading back to school I think this would be a good time to let them know how much they are appreciated. So, to all of you who teach, thank you and have a wonderful year.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Piel said:
IMO teachers have one of the most difficult jobs in the world. They work hard, have to put up with a lot, and are not paid nearly what they are worth. We have several teachers here at GS and as they are heading back to school I think this would be a good time to let them know how much they are appreciated. So, to all of you who teach, thank you and have a wonderful year.

Piel:

I agree. I work at a college and I know how hard the teachers work to ensure the student's success. Some of them really go out of their way to help students and even write their own manuals so students don't have to spend a lot of money on books. It takes hours. That's real dedication!!!

bronxgirl

Medalist
My mother was a school teacher (elementary level though I guess in a lot of systems her 6th graders would be middle school). It used to burn all of us up when people would just point to the summer holidays, spring and winter breaks and say how easy she had it. They never saw the extra courses she took, the hours of preparing lessons, of grading homework, etc etc. Mom wanted me to be a school teacher, but when I got to college still insisting I wanted to be a doctor, the hours she had had to put in finally made her glad that I was going to choose my own path. Teachers are so underpaid and devalued! Without good teachers, noone gets to be a doctor, lawyer or any other profession!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think the US has to work hard on changing the status of teachers. Too often, teachers are looked at as under-achievers, or as people who just couldn't make it in the industry. One way of achieving this, IMO, is by raising salaries. Look at nurses -- some two decades ago, it wasn't a very respected profession, and male nurses were the butt of many jokes. Now that nurses earn a lot more, the profession is far more respected. Raising teachers' salaries would attract more talented ambitious people to the profession.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Thanks Piel and all...........I think what cracks me up the most is when people tell me how envious they are that I get all that time off and paid vacations to boot. They are shocked when I say that we don't get paid vacations. When we don't work, we're not paid. We are only contracted (where I work) for 185 days a year, and those are the only days we are paid for.........oh well......42